The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Men want virgins to marry. Let me explain please.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Viridiana
If a man has slept with many women and yet he requires his woman to be a virgin, he is a bad person and a hypocrite.

Not really, people are allowed whatever standards they want in a partner eg even if someone is extremely stupid they might have a preference of an intelligent partner. This doesn't make them a bad person, it just means they'll find it harder to meet someone acceptable.
Reply 41
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
omg

hahaha.
omg

Original post by Ekemini
You weren't raised being taught these things so I get your confusion. Virginity does not measure what kind of person is inside so why put so much emphasis on it. If you are my friend virgin or no virgin I don't care. Just as long as we can be weird together then No p.

Aye, I can understand that it's difficult to shake off what we were raised with. What we were raised with isn't always right, though. My mother told me that when I got a boyfriend and he wanted sex with me, I should do it, even if I wasn't ready, because it was his right and otherwise he'd go for someone else. Which is messed up.

All we can do is what feels right to us. If that means remaining a virgin until marriage, that's fine. If that means losing our virginity before marriage, that is fine, too. So long as it's our own decision - our bodies, our choice. Personally, I don't sleep around. I prefer to be in a loving relationship and I am with the man I want to marry (and he wants to marry me :smile:). Each to their own, though.
Original post by Fideo
Not really, people are allowed whatever standards they want in a partner eg even if someone is extremely stupid they might have a preference of an intelligent partner. This doesn't make them a bad person, it just means they'll find it harder to meet someone acceptable.

Yeah, if it's the case of some persons in a society, but if they (almost all) shame non-virgins etc. etc. and create an oppressive society where men are allowed to do everything and women are allowed to do nothing, it's evil for me.
Original post by Fideo
It's harder for a man to sleep around.

Irrelevant. It'll be difficult for an ugly girl to sleep around too.
Reply 46
Yeah, if it's the case of some persons in a society, but if they (almost all) shame non-virgins etc. etc. and create an oppressive society where men are allowed to do everything and women are allowed to do nothing, it's evil for me.

Women are allowed to do whatever they want, they should just be aware that it will make them less attractive to a minority of men. It's not even close to all men.
Reply 47
Original post by pink pineapple
No problem with having that attitude towards sex, sounds quite similar to mine. But to expect women to remain chaste whereas men can do whatever they want just sounds really misogynistic

I am not expecting. I don't expect anything of anyone. Ok maybe I expect my future boyfriend to be hot, have tattoos, a deep voice, look like Jack frost from Rise of the guardians and have a dark past( I am just blabbing here )But its the society's belief and I cannot exactly change it
Original post by Fideo
Women are allowed to do whatever they want, they should just be aware that it will make them less attractive to a minority of men. It's not even close to all men.

What? We're talking about the Nigerian society here I think where it's the majority and they're taught to be like that.
Reply 49
Original post by Kittiara
Aye, I can understand that it's difficult to shake off what we were raised with. What we were raised with isn't always right, though. My mother told me that when I got a boyfriend and he wanted sex with me, I should do it, even if I wasn't ready, because it was his right and otherwise he'd go for someone else. Which is messed up.

All we can do is what feels right to us. If that means remaining a virgin until marriage, that's fine. If that means losing our virginity before marriage, that is fine, too. So long as it's our own decision - our bodies, our choice. Personally, I don't sleep around. I prefer to be in a loving relationship and I am with the man I want to marry (and he wants to marry me :smile:). Each to their own, though.

Your mother is Wow. Haha. I like you and thanks for understanding.
Original post by Ekemini
Ok so maybe I am sheep. I am a Christian and in the bible it is obvious that it is preferable for women to be virgins. Since you said I cant think for myself, this Is what I think. Personally I want to be a virgin when I get married. Maybe because I think sex is an such an intimate act and shouldn't be done with just anybody but someone I want to spend the rest of my life with. Even if its with a boyfriend i would rather prefer to wait. I cant imagine doing it casually. Like it doesn't mean anything. Its going to be a man putting his manhood into me. I am that sort of person not comfortable with the thought of different men in that kind of position with me. To some its not that deep but for me it is. That's just me

I will say that people's opinions aren't necessarily well thought out and therefore truthful as to what they would do in reality. This modern society encourages sexual promiscuity and people's opinions will reflect support of society.

I will also say that you increase your value as a person (though perhaps only materially, but if you do deny temptation your mind will only grow stronger) 100 fold, depending on your future partner.

Either way don't be "virgin-shamed" by some sl00ts, I personally would rather be wed to a virgin than a girl who has ridden the cock carousel so much that her vajine is like bowl of fresh custard.
Reply 51
What? We're talking about the Nigerian society here I think where it's the majority and they're taught to be like that.

No we're not, you made a general comment on men having requirements they can't meet themselves
Reply 52
Original post by Vixen47

Hahaha. I like this
Original post by Vixen47

u fokin wot fam
Reply 54
Original post by Ekemini
Ok I know the title might offend some people. I am notcalling girls who are not virgin’s sluts. Over there in America or UK it isprobably not a big deal but here it is. I am African and we value values. Ifyou are not a virgin and you get married, the husband would find out (obviously)and you become a disgrace to yourself as well as your family... My dad puts itlike this: you can’t have your cake and eat it too. To Africans (ok Nigerians)the men would want you to be a virgin. My dad says that’s why I should beware ofboys. They would sleep around and do what they want but when they are lookingfor a wife they would be looking for a virgin. He gave me an example. At a friend’swedding after the ceremony a couple of men stood and started talking about thebride. What were they saying? Well they were talking about how they each hadhad a piece of the girl. They were boasting and bragging. She wasn’t a virginand all those men had slept with her. I can’t really remember if the groom overheardthem but my dad asks that why would a girl want that kind of a reputation? Why couldn’tshe just wait? Why is she such in a hurry? It’s a thing of pride if a father cangive off his daughter as a virgin. It shows that the girl was brought up rightand society would respect those parents. What do you guys think?

I'm Nigerian also and i live in London. I am a virgin and intend to stay one until marriage due to my customs and beliefs. But many decide to lose their virginity earlier, which is fine as it's their choice. To be honest, there is more pressure to do sexual things with people when you're in a relationship. A lot of people "sext" and exchange nude pictures. Some enjoy this and are willing to have sex and some feel some what obligated to. I've never been in a relationship or even kissed a guy but i can see why some would want to be sexual active. I have to admit many do rush and some do end up regretting it, i think it's disgusting for 12 year olds having oral sex with people they claim they love, but i guess people just are in a rush to grow up. I think it's nice for one to save their virginity till marriage or at least for someone they genuinely love.
Reply 55
I will say that people's opinions aren't necessarily well thought out and therefore truthful as to what they would do in reality. This modern society encourages sexual promiscuity and people's opinions will reflect support of society.

I will also say that you increase your value as a person (though perhaps only materially, but if you do deny temptation your mind will only grow stronger) 100 fold, depending on your future partner.

Either way don't be "virgin-shamed" by some sl00ts, I personally would rather be wed to a virgin than a girl who has ridden the cock carousel so much that her vajine is like bowl of fresh custard.

Has anybody ever told you that you're funny. You keep making me laugh. Heehee "Bowl of fresh custard" Heeheehee
Reply 56
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Irrelevant. It'll be difficult for an ugly girl to sleep around too.

And it will be even harder for an ugly man.
Original post by Fideo
No we're not, you made a general comment on men having requirements they can't meet themselves

Ok. Well, for some people it can be okay for their partners to have this kind of requirements but for me it's still hypocritical. I personally wouldn't want to be with someone who expects me to be a virgin when he's slept with the whole town or expects me to shave all my body hair while he doesn't even trim his armpit hair and is not going to, etc. etc. Other people might be okay with this kind of treatment, for me it's not feasible.
Original post by Ekemini
Ok I know the title might offend some people. I am notcalling girls who are not virgin’s sluts. Over there in America or UK it isprobably not a big deal but here it is. I am African and we value values. Ifyou are not a virgin and you get married, the husband would find out (obviously)and you become a disgrace to yourself as well as your family... My dad puts itlike this: you can’t have your cake and eat it too. To Africans (ok Nigerians)the men would want you to be a virgin. My dad says that’s why I should beware ofboys. They would sleep around and do what they want but when they are lookingfor a wife they would be looking for a virgin. He gave me an example. At a friend’swedding after the ceremony a couple of men stood and started talking about thebride. What were they saying? Well they were talking about how they each hadhad a piece of the girl. They were boasting and bragging. She wasn’t a virginand all those men had slept with her. I can’t really remember if the groom overheardthem but my dad asks that why would a girl want that kind of a reputation? Why couldn’tshe just wait? Why is she such in a hurry? It’s a thing of pride if a father cangive off his daughter as a virgin. It shows that the girl was brought up rightand society would respect those parents. What do you guys think?

It is a hypocritical and sexist ideal. There is no logical reason for women to be scorned for sleeping around, but men to be praised. Either you think saving yourself until marriage is good, or not, for BOTH sexes.

Also, if men sleeping around is praised... How can he do that unless there are women sleeping around too? Unless he is sleeping with other men? Men can't get good reputations for sleeping around without there being women who are okay with it too... So it is impossible for everyone to be in the right with these backwards ideals.
Reply 59
Original post by sheri3
I'm Nigerian also and i live in London. I am a virgin and intend to stay one until marriage due to my customs and beliefs. But many decide to lose their virginity earlier, which is fine as it's their choice. To be honest, there is more pressure to do sexual things with people when you're in a relationship. A lot of people "sext" and exchange nude pictures. Some enjoy this and are willing to have sex and some feel some what obligated to. I've never been in a relationship or even kissed a guy but i can see why some would want to be sexual active. I have to admit many do rush and some do end up regretting it, i think it's disgusting for 12 year olds having oral sex with people they claim they love, but i guess people just are in a rush to grow up. I think it's nice for one to save their virginity till marriage or at least for someone they genuinely love.

When my friend told me that a boy in her primary school class fingered a girl I was shocked. Up till I was pretty naïve and thought kids were innocents. If this kind of promiscuity is promoted, society is going to ****!

Latest

Trending

Trending