The Student Room Group

How much culture can you fit in one year? A TSR Experiment Returns.

Scroll to see replies

Update

Books
I've fallen behind, I normally read in bed and haven't read as much during the day as intended. Mainly I intended to read during my breaks at work although normally I am eating lunch/dinner and would have little time to read as well. So I am still on Game of Thrones but only 6 chapters from the end so will probably finish it tonight and then I'll read some of the shorter books on my reading list. I've found in the past that when targeting a specific number that falling behind early means it is very hard to catch up.

Films
I have seen two films since my last update, 'Love' (2011) which was baffling to say the least. It had a vague storyline but was littered with random cutaways and fake interviews. I wouldn't recommend it although the cinematography was good I do like my films making sense and having an actual storyline.

Secondly I watch 'The "Maggie"' (1954) which was a feel good comedy about a Clyde puffer and the transportation of a culturally naive American's cargo across Scotland. Whilst predictable with its ending it was an enjoyable watch.

Both of these films are brand new to me and so I currently stand on 3/52 for the year for that. Great start.

TV
I've not had that much time for watching that much TV as I've been working most days or on my laptop. I'm trying not to include the TV my family have on in the background as I'm not watching it. However I have watched

Match of the Day 2
Football Legends
The Balon d'or ceremony
How I Met Your Mother
Family Guy
American Dad
Simpsons

Music
At time of posting I have listened to 165 tracks over the last week.

1 The Corrs 36
2 Taylor Swift 31
3 Out Of The Blue 26
4 Ben Woods 19
5 Ronan Hardiman 18
6 Steps 14
7 Kylie Minogue 10
8 Maroon 5
=9 Mark Knopfler 1
=9 Alizée 1
=9 Darin Sysoev 1

Games
As well as my daily Chess games I have also started playing Rome: Total War again. So good :coma:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Update

Books
I've fallen behind, I normally read in bed and haven't read as much during the day as intended. Mainly I intended to read during my breaks at work although normally I am eating lunch/dinner and would have little time to read as well. So I am still on Game of Thrones but only 6 chapters from the end so will probably finish it tonight and then I'll read some of the shorter books on my reading list. I've found in the past that when targeting a specific number that falling behind early means it is very hard to catch up.

Films
I have seen two films since my last update, 'Love' (2011) which was baffling to say the least. It had a vague storyline but was littered with random cutaways and fake interviews. I wouldn't recommend it although the cinematography was good I do like my films making sense and having an actual storyline.

Secondly I watch 'The "Maggie"' (1954) which was a feel good comedy about a Clyde puffer and the transportation of a culturally naive American's cargo across Scotland. Whilst predictable with its ending it was an enjoyable watch.

Both of these films are brand new to me and so I currently stand on 3/52 for the year for that. Great start.

TV
I've not had that much time for watching that much TV as I've been working most days or on my laptop. I'm trying not to include the TV my family have on in the background as I'm not watching it. However I have watched

Match of the Day 2
Football Legends
The Balon d'or ceremony
How I Met Your Mother
Family Guy
American Dad
Simpsons

Music
At time of posting I have listened to 165 tracks over the last week.

1 The Corrs 36
2 Taylor Swift 31
3 Out Of The Blue 26
4 Ben Woods 19
5 Ronan Hardiman 18
6 Steps 14
7 Kylie Minogue 10
8 Maroon 5
=9 Mark Knopfler 1
=9 Alizée 1
=9 Darin Sysoev 1

Games
As well as my daily Chess games I have also started playing Rome: Total War again. So good :coma:

Love your dedication to knowing what music you listen to! Will grab your film ideas :tongue:
Original post by mobbsy91
Love your dedication to knowing what music you listen to! Will grab your film ideas :tongue:

It's where last.fm is great. I have the scrobbler and on my profile I can see who is the most played artist of the week, month, year, ever. Pretty neat.

Before I reset it the highest was Howard Shore which was a dedication to how much I listened to his music in order to revise.

For the movies I just came across them on iPlayer and thought 'Mhey why not'. Go in blind, not knowing anything about either. :lol:

There are quite a few oldies on iPlayer at the moment.
It's where last.fm is great. I have the scrobbler and on my profile I can see who is the most played artist of the week, month, year, ever. Pretty neat.

Before I reset it the highest was Howard Shore which was a dedication to how much I listened to his music in order to revise.

For the movies I just came across them on iPlayer and thought 'Mhey why not'. Go in blind, not knowing anything about either. :lol:

There are quite a few oldies on iPlayer at the moment.

Haha, ok, fair enough! Will check out iplayer then!
Forgot to mention that in games I have also been playing FIFA 11 on the PS2. My pro is basically Key-iano Messi. Bit boring to be honest and now I've finished the in game season I doubt I'll play it again anytime soon.

Also finished Game of Thrones and now need to pick my next book. Might go for a play. Maybe 'The Importance of Being Earnest' or one of Shakespeare's plays. After I've read a few I will go back to the Song of Ice and Fire series.
Forgot to mention that in games I have also been playing FIFA 11 on the PS2. My pro is basically Key-iano Messi. Bit boring to be honest and now I've finished the in game season I doubt I'll play it again anytime soon.

Also finished Game of Thrones and now need to pick my next book. Might go for a play. Maybe 'The Importance of Being Earnest' or one of Shakespeare's plays. After I've read a few I will go back to the Song of Ice and Fire series.

I enjoyed The Importance of Being Ernest a lot. :smile:

If you're into Shakespeare, then you need to check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare:_The_Animated_Tales

They're beautiful animated shorts, with the animation coming from Russia :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I enjoyed The Importance of Being Ernest a lot. :smile:

If you're into Shakespeare, then you need to check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare:_The_Animated_Tales

They're beautiful animated shorts, with the animation coming from Russia :smile:

Decided to go for Stardust instead. Plays will be next. Also I spelt Ernest very very wrong. :facepalm:
Decided to go for Stardust instead. Plays will be next. Also I spelt Ernest very very wrong. :facepalm:

You spelt it right actually! I used the name instead of the... doing... noun...? Grammar....
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
You spelt it right actually! I used the name instead of the... doing... noun...? Grammar....

Wah? I'm so confused. I'm going to have to read it just to know the right way to spell it :colondollar:
Know I'm a bit late but add me to the list :smile:
Original post by EllieC130
Know I'm a bit late but add me to the list :smile:

It's never too late too join! :h:

Well maybe December 31st would be but other than that welcome! :woo:
It's never too late too join! :h:

Well maybe December 31st would be but other than that welcome! :woo:

Depends how good you are - you could probably get through 30 albums in a day, maybe a couple of games/books if you're good at multi-tasking.

I suppose I'll join - already doing the 52 books (need to crack on now exams are out the way). I can add music and films to that I reckon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UPDATE TIME! :excited:

I went to see Foxcatcher at the cinema on Saturday and it was pretty good. A little bit slow for my liking, but it was undeniably tense throughout and the acting was pretty outstanding, particularly on Mark Ruffalo and Steve Carrell's front. Once exams are finished I'm going to see Whiplash - it looks amazing. At this rate, I think JK Simmons is probably going to win the Oscar, but I'd like to give the film a try first before making any hasty judgements.

In terms of books, I've FINALLY finished Comment faire l'amour avec une négre sans se fatiguer, and I've ordered a couple more books through the post. One of them is a book called Tampa about a female paedophile and the other is a book called A Thousand Pieces of You. Look at the beautiful cover!

I've also downloaded Stardust by Neil Gaiman, as Amazon were giving out free Kindle books. Anyway, I hope everyone else's challenge is going well! :smile:

Edit: Jesus that cover is huge
Finished Starship Troopers last night.

So far, I am doing well on reading books, and terrible on everything else. :beard:

:getmecoat:
Original post by CongressTart
UPDATE TIME! :excited:

I went to see Foxcatcher at the cinema on Saturday and it was pretty good. A little bit slow for my liking, but it was undeniably tense throughout and the acting was pretty outstanding, particularly on Mark Ruffalo and Steve Carrell's front. Once exams are finished I'm going to see Whiplash - it looks amazing. At this rate, I think JK Simmons is probably going to win the Oscar, but I'd like to give the film a try first before making any hasty judgements.

In terms of books, I've FINALLY finished Comment faire l'amour avec une négre sans se fatiguer, and I've ordered a couple more books through the post. One of them is a book called Tampa about a female paedophile and the other is a book called A Thousand Pieces of You. Look at the beautiful cover!

I've also downloaded Stardust by Neil Gaiman, as Amazon were giving out free Kindle books. Anyway, I hope everyone else's challenge is going well! :smile:

Edit: Jesus that cover is huge

That's how I got Stardust as well! I just finished it and enjoyed it. Have you seen the film as well?

---------
Update time

Books
I have finished Stardust by Neil Gaiman and so move onto The Importance of Being Ernest (I am counting plays that I read as books). After that I haven't decided but I should have the play finished at some point tomorrow.

Films
The Dark Knight- I have seen it before but as it was on TV I just sat down and watched it. Hopefully I will be watching more films over the next couple of weeks although my hours at work have increased with other people on holiday so a lot of time will be spent there :nooo:

TV
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Match of the Day
Family Guy
American Dad
Channel Patrol
Oxford Street Revealed
Caught Red Handed
Rip-Off Britain: Holiday Special

Games
As well as my usual games of chess I have been playing Football Manager 2014 being a cool kid. Haven't played for about a month previously.

Music
As it stands I have listened to 297 tracks in the last 7 days. This takes me to 541 plays since 7th January. As for artists as there are 64 different artists from the last week I will post my top 10 only. The number of artists has increased because I've sold my soul to the devil and gotten spotify. I thought my not try the 3 months premium for 99p? If I don't like it then in 3 months I'll keep spotify but cancel the premium service.

My Top 10

Spoiler

That's how I got Stardust as well! I just finished it and enjoyed it. Have you seen the film as well?

That's great :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to reading it myself. I saw the film a few years ago and quite liked it, but I have a feeling that the book will be slightly better. I guess we'll see :smile:

Exams are finally over! :excited: Now I can put some real effort into this challenge.
Original post by CongressTart
That's great :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to reading it myself. I saw the film a few years ago and quite liked it, but I have a feeling that the book will be slightly better. I guess we'll see :smile:

Exams are finally over! :excited: Now I can put some real effort into this challenge.

Let me know when you've read it and we can discuss it :h:

:woo: for no exams!
My 2015 reading list:

The Picture of Dorian Grey-read If you liked Jekyll and Hyde, The Great Gatsby, and are interested in philosophy then you will like this!

Metamorphosis-read a bit odd, written in a simple blunt style, but very short so may as well give it a go!

100 years of Solitude-reading

Tales of the Alhambra

Lolita

Anna Karenina

Crime and Punishment

Quiet: the power of introverts-read Very interesting, good to make introverts feel at their best, really well-researched

Catch 22

The Bell Jar

Atonement

And as many Shakespeare plays as possible!
(edited 9 years ago)
Latest update

TV
How I Met Your Mother
Rude(ish) Mother
Saints and Scroungers
One Day in Auschwitz
Futurama
Room 101
Family Guy
American Dad
Star Trek TNG
The Holocaust: A Story of Remembrance
Match of the Day

Film
Still none but have recorded Schindler's List and The Perks of Being a Wallflower so will watch them in the coming days.

Music
Last 7 days has seen a small drop in activity but will be posting the January list in full on Feb 1st. It's going to be big!

1 Girls Aloud 31
2 Take That 24
3 Jason Mraz 16
4 Eagles 9
5 Michael Bublé 8
=6 Sade 1
=6 Serebro 1
=6 Tolmachevy Sisters 1

Games
FM 2014
Xcom: Enemy Within
Chess

Books
Finished The Importance of Being Ernest. Also read a book called As The Crow Flies by Damien Boyd along with some a small collection of first world war poetry. Now looking for my next book. I tried reading Bambi by Marjorie Benton Cooke but couldn't get into it. It's just weird. I got it for free on my Kindle and thought that it might have been the Bambi but no, that would be Bambi: A Life in the Woods.

Books Read:

Spoiler

Reply 79
edited, this is rather good :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending