The Student Room Group

Resitting a few GCSEs in my gap year

Hey guys,
I plan on taking a gap year next year and I want to resit a few GCSEs during that time. Would future employers and university admission tutors know this? Would it look bad? I appreciate any replies.
Reply 1
I'm planning on doing this. If anything, it'll look GOOD - you're showing that you recognise where improvements can be made and can spend your time catching up to standard when necessary. Don't try to hide it. You're showing humility and self awareness by retaking GCSEs while others are lounging about on a beach in Thailand.
Reply 2
Original post by suirrel
I'm planning on doing this. If anything, it'll look GOOD - you're showing that you recognise where improvements can be made and can spend your time catching up to standard when necessary. Don't try to hide it. You're showing humility and self awareness by retaking GCSEs while others are lounging about on a beach in Thailand.

Thanks for the response. The grades I got before were alright but I know I could have gotten A*s in them. What are you planning to do at uni?
Reply 3
Original post by RGJ
Thanks for the response. The grades I got before were alright but I know I could have gotten A*s in them. What are you planning to do at uni?

No problem! I have to ask, though - why are you retaking GCSEs just to get A*s? Unless you got less than Cs, your A levels are more important.

I'm considering veterinary medicine or maybe veterinary nursing, depending on my A level grades. What are you planning to do at uni, and have you checked whether unis need A*s? If you don't need the A*s then it's likely you'd be better off doing something more productive during your gap year.
Unless your grades are really bad and won't get you into futures courses that you want to study, then I suggest you don't retake them as it'll be a waste of time and some colleges and universities frown upon it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by suirrel
No problem! I have to ask, though - why are you retaking GCSEs just to get A*s? Unless you got less than Cs, your A levels are more important.

I'm considering veterinary medicine or maybe veterinary nursing, depending on my A level grades. What are you planning to do at uni, and have you checked whether unis need A*s? If you don't need the A*s then it's likely you'd be better off doing something more productive during your gap year.

I understand that A levels are more important but some of the unis i've looked at prefer students who have more A*s and As, like Bath. I'm hoping to do Accounting and Finance which can be a competitive course. I'm also looking at doing paid work with a bank for 6 months and then a standard job for the rest. The revision towards the resits would be for a few hours only each week.

Quick Reply

Latest