The Student Room Group

AS Levels and BTEC for nursing?

Hi,
I started AS levels in September at a new sixth form. I knew from the first day that I hated it, but due to parents saying I should stay etc. I did just that. And now I'm stuck in the position where by I know I'm going to get Cs and Ds but I have to finish the year because I'm too late for the college to accept me on the BTEC Health and social care course and so I'll be finishing AS levels and starting the BTEC in September.
I'm really worried that by doing all of this, universities will look unfavourably on this when I come to apply for nursing. Nursing is all I have ever wanted to do and I know that its incredibly competitive as it is so I will need the best grades, experience etc. possible. Do you think universities will think I'm not dedicated or uncommitted if I do this, or am I just worrying for nothing? :s-smilie:
Thank you in advance :smile: (I am also sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place - this is my first post!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by niltiac125
Hi,
I started AS levels in September at a new sixth form. I knew from the first day that I hated it, but due to parents saying I should stay etc. I did just that. And now I'm stuck in the position where by I know I'm going to get Cs and Ds but I have to finish the year because I'm too late for the college to accept me on the BTEC Health and social care course and so I'll be finishing AS levels and starting the BTEC in September.
I'm really worried that by doing all of this, universities will look unfavourably on this when I come to apply for nursing. Nursing is all I have ever wanted to do and I know that its incredibly competitive as it is so I will need the best grades, experience etc. possible. Do you think universities will think I'm not dedicated or uncommitted if I do this, or am I just worrying for nothing? :s-smilie:
Thank you in advance :smile: (I am also sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place - this is my first post!)

You will be fine, providing you get good grades in the BTEC(which I think is preffered for nursing)

What AS levels are you doing? If you do Biology and get a decent grade it might be worth taking it to A2 alongside the BTEC that will definitely make your application look stronger
Reply 2
Thank you so much for replying! (Really?! That's so reassuring!) I'm taking biology, psychology, geography, and English literature so I'll definitely bring that up with the college :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you so much for replying! (Really?! That's so reassuring!) I'm taking biology, psychology, geography, and English literature so I'll definitely bring that up with the college :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no worries :smile: maybe psychology could be good too? If you weren't to take an extra A level I wouldn't worry the extended diploma is worth 3 A levels anyway and should get you onto most nursing degrees

And that combination of subjects will still look good on an application even if you only take them to AS level
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
Haha no worries :smile: maybe psychology could be good too? If you weren't to take an extra A level I wouldn't worry the extended diploma is worth 3 A levels anyway and should get you onto most nursing degrees

And that combination of subjects will still look good on an application even if you only take them to AS level

Yeah, although some places may say that the BTEC doesn't cover enough biology so I think I'll at least consider it, if I get a good enough grade, for this reason. :smile:
Probably not so good with the grades I'm predicted lol
Reply 5
Yeah, although some places may say that the BTEC doesn't cover enough biology so I think I'll at least consider it, if I get a good enough grade, for this reason. :smile:
Probably not so good with the grades I'm predicted lol

Fair enough, its probably worth it, I've heard the BTEC can cover enough it just depends on what units your college chooses to teach

It will still look good on your application if you just get passes especially in Bio and Psyc as they will acknowledge that you have studied them at higher level
Hi,

They won't look down on your application for repeating the year.

I repeated my year at college, because nursing has always been my aspirational goal due to my personal experiences over the years and the knowledge, and skills i have gained caring for those around me. I didn't want to go university to study a random degree that I don't really have the passion for.

I did a combination of BTEC and A-Levels during my second year of sixth form and also gained a couple of voluntary/work experience in the health sector as well (caring experience will make your personal statement stronger). Now, I am in my final year, got nursing interviews coming up and hopefully going university to study Adult Nursing this September.

It's achievable :biggrin:! I urge you to get voluntary experience at your local hospital, day care, nursing homes or anywhere that fully demonstrates your caring and compassionate approach, because this will greatly help you when you're writing your personal statement on why you want to become a nurse, and what skills and qualities did you gain from your experience.

Chase your dreams and Good Luck!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I was in your exact situation! I hated my AS levels and I stuck the year out only because my parents told me to and I applied for BTEC health and social care which commenced the following September, much to their disapproval. Their argument was that BTECs aren't as favoured as A Levels which complete and utter nonsense. I'm now in my second year of nursing and I had no trouble getting in at uni, at my interviews they never even asked why I dropped my A Levels for a BTEC because it really doesn't matter, as long as you have the experience, the right attitude/personality end meet the entry requirements you'll be absolutely fine! Honestly, doing my BTEC was literally best decision I ever made. The things that are covered are so useful for when you come to do your degree, as opposed to the things you would have learnt at A Level! I'm always looking through my old BTEC folder when I'm doing assignments and things so they're worth hanging on to! Good luck :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by babyshawte
They won't look down on your application for repeating the year.

I repeated my year at college, because nursing has always been my aspirational goal due to my personal experiences over the years and the knowledge, and skills i have gained caring for those around me. I didn't want to go university to study a random degree that I don't really have the passion for.

I did a combination of BTEC and A-Levels during my second year of sixth form and also gained a couple of voluntary/work experience in the health sector as well (caring experience will make your personal statement stronger). Now, I am in my final year, got nursing interviews coming up and hopefully going university to study Adult Nursing this September.

It's achievable :biggrin:! I urge you to get voluntary experience at your local hospital, day care, nursing homes or anywhere that fully demonstrates your caring and compassionate approach, because this will greatly help you when you're writing your personal statement on why you want to become a nurse, and what skills and qualities did you gain from your experience.

Chase your dreams and Good Luck!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for replying! Good luck in your interviews!! I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:
I'm definitely going to try and get some experience in a nursing home over the summer, and with the sixth form I have applied to get a weeks experience in my local hospital - I should hopefully hear back once sixth form starts again. And I know that with the BTEC I'll be doing 300 hours experience over the two years. I'm so excited to get some experience because it will definitely show me if nursing is really for me (just thinking it doesn't prove a lot on a personal statement - as you say!)
Thank you again - its so great to hear from someone who has gone about applying for nursing in a similar way as I hope to! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Jdshlby
I was in your exact situation! I hated my AS levels and I stuck the year out only because my parents told me to and I applied for BTEC health and social care which commenced the following September, much to their disapproval. Their argument was that BTECs aren't as favoured as A Levels which complete and utter nonsense. I'm now in my second year of nursing and I had no trouble getting in at uni, at my interviews they never even asked why I dropped my A Levels for a BTEC because it really doesn't matter, as long as you have the experience, the right attitude/personality end meet the entry requirements you'll be absolutely fine! Honestly, doing my BTEC was literally best decision I ever made. The things that are covered are so useful for when you come to do your degree, as opposed to the things you would have learnt at A Level! I'm always looking through my old BTEC folder when I'm doing assignments and things so they're worth hanging on to! Good luck :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your reply!! Thats exactly what my dad says! Thats so reassuring to hear - I was worried I would have to justify why I left at interviews. Do you think I should continue with biology alongside the BTEC or is enough biology covered in the course to prepare you for the degree? That's how I feel in class at the moment - learning about rivers just seems so pointless lol! I'll try to remember that lol
Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 10
I'd say there's more than enough biology covered with just the BTEC, there's a unit called anatomy and physiology which teaches you about all the bodily systems and another called physiological disorders, which teaches you about medications used to treat certain illnesses etc so I personally wouldn't bother!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was in the exact same situation and switched to BTECS. I'm now awaiting replies from uni to study mental health and have got an interview at King's College London, which is really high up in rankings! I would strongly recommend doing voluntary work, it makes your personal statement stand out! People always told me to stick to A-Levels but I'm much better as assignment based work and practical placements, I love it and have met the most inspirational people. It helps you to build transferable skills (many of which you wouldn't gain from A-levels, which will be essential in a Nursing course at UNI. GOOD LUCK! :smile:
Hi,

Hi,

I'm a 3rd year child branch student nurse. I switched after my first year of A Levels from A Level Biology and A Level Chemistry, to a BTEC Applied Science Advanced Subsidiary Diploma. I carried on with the Psychology and ICT A Levels that I had started alongside the original two.

I got 3 interviews, and 2 offers from universities, so I don't think you have anything to worry about whatsoever, although the offers may differ slightly compared to if you were doing A Levels. E.g. Southampton's typical offers were BBB, but they made me an offer of BB & Distinction - whereas technically a Distinction is equivalent to an A.

But, if you get good grades, and have other relevant experience, then you stand as much chance as anyone else.

I write a blog about Children's Nursing, with lots of advice on there for students at college, wanting to enter into nursing. DM me if you would like the link to it.

Hope that helps & feel free to ask anymore questions!
Good luck!
Joel
Reply 13
Original post by Jdshlby
I'd say there's more than enough biology covered with just the BTEC, there's a unit called anatomy and physiology which teaches you about all the bodily systems and another called physiological disorders, which teaches you about medications used to treat certain illnesses etc so I personally wouldn't bother!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, that sounds so interesting! Okay then, thank you so much for your help :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by gilesybug
I was in the exact same situation and switched to BTECS. I'm now awaiting replies from uni to study mental health and have got an interview at King's College London, which is really high up in rankings! I would strongly recommend doing voluntary work, it makes your personal statement stand out! People always told me to stick to A-Levels but I'm much better as assignment based work and practical placements, I love it and have met the most inspirational people. It helps you to build transferable skills (many of which you wouldn't gain from A-levels, which will be essential in a Nursing course at UNI. GOOD LUCK! :smile:

Congratulations! :biggrin: Awh, I'm so excited to start the course now! Thank you :smile: and thank you for replying!
Hi,

Why have you already given up? You're less than half way through the year. If you work hard from now on you will get good grades in your AS levels
Reply 16
Original post by anonwinner
Why have you already given up? You're less than half way through the year. If you work hard from now on you will get good grades in your AS levels

I don't think it's as simple as just 'working hard' and then doing well - you have to be suited to that style of learning. And I don't think I'm suited to the solely academic style of A levels, I think that a combination of academic and vocational education would best suit me. Really, this is something I should have thought about a year ago! But I do understand what you're saying, and I'm not just going to waste the year - realistically if I put everything into it, I think I'll achieve Cs. :smile:
If you work as hard as you can then you won't get c's and d's! I've just applied for children's nursing- doing Sociology, Applied science and Philosophy and ethics. My AS results were ACC (even though i was predicted - DDD). I've done two years experience in a primary school amoung other things (DOFE etc). I know quite a few people who've failed the first year and then taken btec health and are applying for nursing and getting interviews and offers. If you want it that badly then you'll find a way to get it! don't worry about it and don't put yourself down by saying you'll get D's!!
Reply 18
Original post by debs_111
If you work as hard as you can then you won't get c's and d's! I've just applied for children's nursing- doing Sociology, Applied science and Philosophy and ethics. My AS results were ACC (even though i was predicted - DDD). I've done two years experience in a primary school amoung other things (DOFE etc). I know quite a few people who've failed the first year and then taken btec health and are applying for nursing and getting interviews and offers. If you want it that badly then you'll find a way to get it! don't worry about it and don't put yourself down by saying you'll get D's!!

I've got mocks this week, so some time soon I should have a fairly accurate representation of the grades I'll be getting in August :smile: Thank you for the vote of confidence! Good luck with university, interviews etc. I'm sure you'll be great, and thank you for replying :smile:
Reply 19
Hi I am in the same position as you. We're you till able to add your as level grades on your Ucas application or did they go to waste??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending