The Student Room Group

British Chemistry Olympiad 2015

Is anyone else planning on doing the paper?

How are you planning to prepare, and are you also doing the Biology Olympiad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We were just given a big pack with every past paper in it to practise from although they all seem really hard 😐
Reply 2
Yup. I have just been working through some past paper questions. There's also a support booklet on the RSC website which gives commentaries on all the questions in it, that's quite useful. Admittedly haven't done as much prep as I'd like to have done as I'm revising for my mocks mainly. Does anyone know any dates?
Reply 3
Original post by matalyst
We were just given a big pack with every past paper in it to practise from although they all seem really hard

NO WAY!!

I didn't get that. Do you know where I can access a file containing lots of paper with mark schemes?

My teacher just asked me to do it back in September and I had forgotten up until now.
Reply 4
Does anyone know when the date of the chemistry Olympiad is?
Reply 5
Original post by Xenorebrem
Does anyone know when the date of the chemistry Olympiad is?

It says on the RSC website the application closing date is the 14th of January so it should be after then. I emailed my teacher but they haven't got back to me yet
Reply 6
Original post by TajwarC
It says on the RSC website the application closing date is the 14th of January so it should be after then. I emailed my teacher but they haven't got back to me yet

It says on the website that the first round is in late January but I don't know the exact date?
Reply 7
It says on the website that the first round is in late January but I don't know the exact date?

I'll try and find out from my teacher and let you know. Maybe the dates aren't actually confirmed yet
Reply 8
Original post by TajwarC
I'll try and find out from my teacher and let you know. Maybe the dates aren't actually confirmed yet

Thanks I'm hoping its around the 28th or 29th. The later the better.
Reply 9
Thanks I'm hoping its around the 28th or 29th. The later the better.

Dates aren't confirmed yet, it's likely to be at the end of January however
Reply 10
How are you guys preparing ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started some questions in the past papers. I'm doing it on the 9th of February

Posted from TSR Mobile
When is everyone doing theirs? My tutor said next Friday but I have a feeling that might change
Reply 13
Mine is on Wednesday. I have no idea what the hell some of these questions are asking but tbf I am only AS :/
Original post by sean.17
Mine is on Wednesday. I have no idea what the hell some of these questions are asking but tbf I am only AS :/

I'm only AS too. I'm hoping to maybe scrape a bronze :smile:

I'm definitely doing it next year though
Reply 15
Original post by enaayrah
I'm only AS too. I'm hoping to maybe scrape a bronze :smile:

I'm definitely doing it next year though

Yeah me too, I want to just want to get a look into how hard it actually is :tongue:
Mine's on Thursday :moon:
Sat it last Wednesday. Loved the challenge - it's the first year my school have done it so there was no preparation.
I actually asked to take part because I had completed some papers in preparation for an interview at Cambridge so I had an idea of what was coming. Everybody else had no clue what to expect.
Original post by CaitlinDy
Sat it last Wednesday. Loved the challenge - it's the first year my school have done it so there was no preparation.
I actually asked to take part because I had completed some papers in preparation for an interview at Cambridge so I had an idea of what was coming. Everybody else had no clue what to expect.

Was there a load of maths or was it basic maths because I heard there was some algebra involved?
Just did this, it was the hardest thing ever.

Quick Reply

Latest