The Student Room Group

Would you rather be rich or happy in life?

Scroll to see replies

With respect OP, the question is not very sensible. Why would you be miserable with money rather than happy with out; by definition if you are not happy with money then you would rather be poor with out and if you would rather have money, that would mean that you would be happy with it
Original post by dead sheep eater
applies to anything really, anything in this world can be taken from us; for the sake of the question it's assumed 'If this is the case' although I share your pedanticism :tongue:

The point is if the argument against choosing money is that it can be lost, then the same argument can be made against happiness, and an even stronger one at that. Also, it's a lot likier for one to get more money with money but not more happiness with happiness. The more money you have, the more short moments of satisfaction you can possibly have.
Happy. I don't believe that just by being rich you are automatically happy and I feel like being happy and enjoying life is way more important than being rich.
I'd rather be happy and live a life full of joy than to be miserable and rich.
Rich

In order to support my family properly and giving them everything they need

Be happy as pennywise after enjoying a blissful life being happy yourself.. with nothing to leave your kids in the future....
Great thinking
Original post by Stefano93
:hugs:

Thank you,fellow italian!
Rich. Making my family much more stable would do wonders, my happiness isn't as important.
Happy :biggrin:

No one wants to be a depressed ass mutha***** who claims that money will fulfil their lives

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Happy, but as others have said being less poor make you more happy.

E.g. If I didn't have to worry about making ends meet, I'd be less stressed, leaving room for more happiness!!
Happy

The optimum salary for "happiness" is apparently 45K, before happiness "dips"

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-23/tonight-is-britain-happy/

I thik Id be happy with 45K

This is also interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11382591
The two are not mutually exclusive. I'd have both.
Reply 31
Personally i would pick happy as money cannot buy happiness

Secondly which goes hand in hand with my above point, we should all pick "happy" anyway as if you desire riches this will surely come with the happy option as being happy will fulfill everything you desire. Thus this is the clever option 😉😅
Happiness any day
Original post by Protégé
Rich. Making my family much more stable would do wonders, my happiness isn't as important.

This tbh
Money money money :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As someone with depression, give me happiness over money any day.
Richness can make you happy but happiness can't make you rich.

#foodforthought
Poor and happy, obviously. :smile:

Money is nice to have, but I'd rather have less of that and be loved and free and fulfilled in other ways.
I'm not really sure to be honest because i've never really been proper rich. I've wanted to be rich but i've always thought that people would try and use me for money which wouldn't make me happy tbh.
Original post by Jackasnacks
Rich

In order to support my family properly and giving them everything they need

Be happy as pennywise after enjoying a blissful life being happy yourself.. with nothing to leave your kids in the future....
Great thinking

totally agree with this :/ seems like there are few people who do

Quick Reply