The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

'I don't need feminism because...'

Most of us have seen the 'I need feminism because...' campaign that has people, mainly women, posing with whiteboards and the like giving reasons for why they need feminism.

'I don't need feminism because...' is an interesting counter-campaign that has people, mainly women, posing with whiteboards and the like giving reasons for why they don't need feminism.

If you don't need feminism, please post a reason below. Since it is predominantly a movement geared towards and composed of women, non-feminist women would be particularly interesting to hear from.

Some examples to get the ball rolling:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/9b2a61077befcd0962c1e5d7a9530d6a/tumblr_n1or8uUGjM1qf7o51o9_1280.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/37e8bd6ac830615fe2a80a100744b445/tumblr_msv7ggz4TU1qf7o51o7_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/bee67fa915b96cdf3796036ac308d464/tumblr_msv7ggz4TU1qf7o51o2_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/24722810e5e7c6465957581c61c917f0/tumblr_msv7ggz4TU1qf7o51o1_500.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good idea for a thread. It's good to see that some women are sensible.

Please come out of the woodwork sensible non-feminazi TSR ladies! :smile:
A lot of those reasons are pretty bad...
The 'I don't need feminism movement' mostly annoys me because it's all white western women saying THEY don't need feminism. Sure, but what about the women in other countries who are being raped, sold, married off, mutilated and having acid thrown in their faces for not being virgins? All of us have it pretty good in the west, but not being part of a movement because you can't be arsed to think about people elsewhere seems selfish. A movement doesn't have to be about you for you to support it.
TL;DR most women in non-western countries really do need feminism/womens rights campaigns
Reply 3
I don't need feminism because I don't think it's democratic to bar one half of the population from standing for Parliament on account of their gender, nor respectful of the ability of the other half to succeed without a patronising leg-up from the state.
Reply 4
Original post by tupper_ware
The 'I don't need feminism movement' mostly annoys me because it's all white western women saying THEY don't need feminism. Sure, but what about the women in other countries who are being raped, sold, married off, mutilated and having acid thrown in their faces for not being virgins? All of us have it pretty good in the west, but not being part of a movement because you can't be arsed to think about people elsewhere seems selfish. A movement doesn't have to be about you for you to support it.

TL;DR most women in non-western countries really do need feminism/womens rights campaigns

I don't need feminism because it doesn't have a monopoly on ideas like gender equality or acts of basic human decency like opposing FGM.
Original post by Birkenhead
I don't need feminism because it doesn't have a monopoly on ideas like gender equality or acts of basic human decency like opposing FGM.

You don't need feminism because you're a bloke.
Reply 6

Please leave your sexist prejudices at the door. Disagreement with feminism is not a male sentiment, as this thread has and will demonstrate.
Please leave your sexist prejudices at the door. Disagreement with feminism is not a male sentiment, as this thread has and will demonstrate.

But I'm saying you don't need feminism because it wasn't created for you. I'm white so I don't need an equal rights movement for black people, but I still want it, even if it's not a movement that benefits me or my race.
Reply 8
Am I right in saying equal rights are not the same as equality? Because my current thinking is that obviously men and women should have equal rights but we aren't exactly equal, that's just by definition

I don't need Feminism because I have sympathy for the men who're being denied due process in America after being accused of sexual crimes. Men don't need Feminism because it places them at risk.
Reply 10

If your a guy then you should be ashamed of supporting feminism and must be extremely ignorant, feminists don't want equality, they want special privileges for themselves while not giving up on the privileges they get as women.

Feminists also have a sinister agenda of making false accusations and narratives against men in order to demean men because of the anti male mentality they have.

Ironically, most western feminists focus on petty western issues , and don't care about appalling human rights in the Middle East, cos that's not fashionable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TajwarC
Am I right in saying equal rights are not the same as equality? Because my current thinking is that obviously men and women should have equal rights but we aren't exactly equal, that's just by definition

You are right. The problem originates in the fact that the phrase 'women and men are equal' is so tempting. It is, in some respects, true, but not in all respects. However, specificity isn't sexy, so being more particular about what we mean when we say 'men and women are equal' has not caught on. This has been, it seems to me, a contributing factor in the unwillingness of people generally to speak out against pernicious Feminism.

I'd say, men and women are morally equal and (should be) politically equal, but are not equal in most other ways, and nor necessarily should they be.
But I'm saying you don't need feminism because it wasn't created for you. I'm white so I don't need an equal rights movement for black people, but I still want it, even if it's not a movement that benefits me or my race.

So you are saying that feminism is only for women?
Reply 14

The difference being that while the black rights movement did good, feminism is found by large numbers of both men and women as doing bad. I seriously doubt any significant number of black people in a sound state of mind would have opposed their movement as swathes of women oppose feminism. It's a ridiculous comparison.

It's also not valid to dismiss any criticism of the movement by men on the basis that it is not oriented to their benefit (though it is refreshing to finally hear a woman feminist admit that the movement doesn't actually care about men's issues). To dismiss my criticisms and opinions on the basis of my gender not only runs contrary to the stated aim of feminism to eliminate sexism, but also exposes you as being incapable of properly engaging with my points and those of the women posted above.
Original post by slade p
If your a guy then you should be ashamed of supporting feminism and must be extremely ignorant, feminists don't want equality, they want special privileges for themselves while not giving up on the privileges they get as women.

Feminists also have a sinister agenda of making false accusations and narratives against men in order to demean men because of the anti male mentality they have.

I'm a woman, I'd class myself as 'casual' feminist I guess, but I know many male feminists too. Feminism's definition is just for social, political, and economic rights, so by definition I believe in it. There are different sections of every movement though, you can't lump everyone in together. Maybe you've gotten the idea a small strange percentage of loud man-hating women make up the entirety of everyone who believes in feminism.
Original post by MarriageSucks
Good idea for a thread. It's good to see that some women are sensible.

Please come out of the woodwork sensible non-feminazi TSR ladies! :smile:

These women are attractive looks wise and probably personality :colondollar:
Original post by tomfailinghelp
You are right. The problem originates in the fact that the phrase 'women and men are equal' is so tempting. It is, in some respects, true, but not in all respects. However, specificity isn't sexy, so being more particular about what we mean when we say 'men and women are equal' has not caught on. This has been, it seems to me, a contributing factor in the unwillingness of people generally to speak out against pernicious Feminism.

I'd say, men and women are morally equal and (should be) politically equal, but are not equal in most other ways, and nor necessarily should they be.

Exactly. From observation I feel like some feminists forget that they are even female and that biologically and physically we are different, and thus inherit different responsibilities (not taking into account that society largely influences this nowadays) in life. That's something they can't control, biology :biggrin:
The difference being that while the black rights movement did good, feminism is found by large numbers of both men and women as doing bad. I seriously doubt any significant number of black people in a sound state of mind would have opposed their movement as swathes of women oppose feminism. It's a ridiculous comparison.

It's also not valid to dismiss any criticism of the movement by men on the basis that it is not oriented to their benefit (though it is refreshing to finally hear a woman feminist admit that the movement doesn't actually care about men's issues). To dismiss my criticisms and opinions on the basis of my gender not only runs contrary to the stated aim of feminism to eliminate sexism, but also exposes you as being incapable of properly engaging with my points and those of the women posted above.

Imo no feminism doesn't care about men's issues because it isn't about men's issues, it's a movement about women's issues. You can of course believe in feminism and still accept men have issues.
Original post by Oschene23
Ironically, most western feminists focus on petty western issues , and don't care about appalling human rights in the Middle East, cos that's not fashionable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, though there are still issue's to sort out in the west, they're not comparable to the massive problem's women in other parts of the world still face. I'm not going to tell anyone they're not a 'proper' feminist for not focusing more on these issues, but in my opinion lot's are going about it wrongly. :rolleyes:

Latest