The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin

Hey everyone, I just thought I could start a thread for anyone doing GCSE OCR Latin, as there doesn't seem a specific one I could find??
I'm doing the full course with;

B401 - Language
B402 - Language
B403 - Prose Lit (Tres Feminae - Arria + Avunculus Meus (Pliny))
B404 - Verse Lit (Virgil's Aeneid)

So I kinda wondered if for the set texts anyone could share their style notes, just so that I can kinda check I have them all, as I've been collating my stuff into booklets to keep it neat and tidy

and if anyone needs any translations or style notes, I'm happy to help! We've not finished the Virgil yet in my class, but have got everything for the Prose texts!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

* A401/2/3/4 :smile:

Good idea with the thread (I did OCR Latin last year) - these threads really do help people! Hope you get some visitors :smile:
Original post by Crold
Hey everyone, I just thought I could start a thread for anyone doing GCSE OCR Latin, as there doesn't seem a specific one I could find??

B401 - Language
B402 - Language

So I kinda wondered if for the set texts anyone could share their style notes, just so that I can kinda check I have them all, as I've been collating my stuff into booklets to keep it neat and tidy

and if anyone needs any translations or style notes, I'm happy to help! We've not finished the Virgil yet in my class, but have got everything for the Prose texts!

Thanks

Thanks so much for this, thought I was the only one doing latin!

For Prose, we've done Arria, A day in the life of Pliny the Elder, and The death of my uncle.

For verse, we've done Horace A Travellers Tale and we're doing Virgil but haven't started that yet.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got an A in my GCSE OCR Latin :smile:
In the Mocks I got a C.

My friends got A*'s in their mocks and then a C in the real exam.
I just did my mocks and overall I got a C (D in verse, c in prose, 2 a's in language 1 and 2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
replacement-certificates.com
Original post by Crold

B401 - Language
B402 - Language

Thanks

hey doing the exact same course as you. Know where to find past papers?
Original post by colback98
hey doing the exact same course as you. Know where to find past papers?

OCR website. http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-latin-j281-j081-from-2012/
There's actually other people who do Latin :O haha
I'm going prose - Cicero and Livy
Verse - Horace a travelers tale, Virgil and Horace a ship at troubled waters
I got a B in my mocks, really trying to push for that A in the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Crold

B401 - Language
B402 - Language

Thanks

Hi I'm doing the same set texts as you and unfortunately our teacher has been a bit rubbish and hasn't given us any guidance or notes at all! So I don't understand any of it!! Would you be able to send me any of your style notes or any other help? As I'm having a mini panic attack right now!! Thanks
anyone doing aria as one of their prose? what 8 mark questions are likely to come up? all I can think of is arrias bravery for which I could comment on: her intention to die, her bravery at her sons death, her love for her husband, and here will when following the huge boat in her tiny one
Original post by Crold

B401 - Language
B402 - Language

snip

I do exactly the same choices as you. :biggrin:

Original post by colback98
anyone doing aria as one of their prose? what 8 mark questions are likely to come up? all I can think of is arrias bravery for which I could comment on: her intention to die, her bravery at her sons death, her love for her husband, and here will when following the huge boat in her tiny one

I do! :biggrin:

Her actions don't just show bravery - we made notes on her character - she could also be said to be loyal (self-explanatory :wink: ), dramatic (throws her head against the wall to prove a point...), mentally strong (hides her grief at her son's death), stubborn (wants to die no matter how hard her family tries to dissuade her) and she has strong principals as a 'proper Roman' wife (devotion to husband in all aspects - the boat, the son's death, stabbing herself, respect of men as superior, honourable thing to do would be to die with husband if he has to die, contempt towards Scribonianus' wife). :smile:

The 8 marker would probably be quite broad as you're supposed to show an understanding of the whole text or something like that.
Hi, Deciding to check in!
Doing HT
Prose: Livy and Cicero
Verse: Nisus and Euryalus
Hi, I am in year 10 so I have not done a lot of the literature yet, but would love to join in.

We have finished Pliny' death and we are about to start A Day in the Life of Pliny and Aria.
We won't start doing Virgil's Aenid until next year.

I am also doing two language papers. I love the latin course so much right now. Does it get a lot harder in year 11?
Original post by therealmcoy
Hi, I am in year 10 so I have not done a lot of the literature yet, but would love to join in.

We have finished Pliny' death and we are about to start A Day in the Life of Pliny and Aria.
We won't start doing Virgil's Aenid until next year.

I am also doing two language papers. I love the latin course so much right now. Does it get a lot harder in year 11?

There is a noticeable difference between the Virgil and the other literature. Let's just say Virgil doesn't stick to the rules of Latin, so you can't get away with translating it for the spot. Just learn it as you go on and you'll be fine
For the literature exam, I am sometimes confused as to whether I should translate the passage literally or whether I should put it into better English. What would you recommend in order to get all the marks?
Original post by therealmcoy
For the literature exam, I am sometimes confused as to whether I should translate the passage literally or whether I should put it into better English. What would you recommend in order to get all the marks?

weve been given translations of our literature and have been told to learn it off by heart and id say its in good english but it doesnt stray far from the text so keep it as literal as possible whilst still makinggsure it makes sense i suppose
Original post by Xphoenix
Hi, Deciding to check in!
Doing HT
Prose: Livy and Cicero
Verse: Nisus and Euryalus

I am doing both of these set texts and was wondering if you had any notes for Livy?
Original post by StressedByDay
I am doing both of these set texts and was wondering if you had any notes for Livy?

What do you want? Like I'm not exactly going to be writing out full analysis however I am willing to help by telling you certain points within passage and its effect and different devices.
/Hi! Could anyone please quickly go through the major theme of the Aenied? Really confused!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending