The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xphoenix
What do you want? Like I'm not exactly going to be writing out full analysis however I am willing to help by telling you certain points within passage and its effect and different devices.

From lines 99 please : ' When the King at once incensed by anger ...'. From that point onwards if possible
Hi,
These OCR latin threads are extremely helpful so thank you so much people. :smile:

I'm in Year 10 doing Pliny for prose (don't know about the last prose text or the verse texts).
Finished studying the "Day in the Life" and working though the "Death of Pliny" at the moment.
End of years approaching, so does any body know any long-term and short-term revision techniques for the literature parts of the GCSE.
I know the importance of learning the translation backwards as well as the literary devices, but is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance! (y)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tiffwhat?
Hi,
These OCR latin threads are extremely helpful so thank you so much people. :smile:

I'm in Year 10 doing Pliny for prose (don't know about the last prose text or the verse texts).
Finished studying the "Day in the Life" and working though the "Death of Pliny" at the moment.
End of years approaching, so does any body know any long-term and short-term revision techniques for the literature parts of the GCSE.
I know the importance of learning the translation backwards as well as the literary devices, but is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance! (y)

For the Death of Pliny the Elder, I like to listen to the translation on the CSCP website as I remember it a lot more when it is read out to me, but they do not have an audio file for all the texts.

Personally, I don't memorise the literary devices as much, but like to make up questions and practising my exam technique in the word limit because, realistically, it will help a lot more if you can independently recognise and reflect on literary techniques rather than learning where they are.:smile:
Looks like not many are doing sources then :frown:
How is everyone revising the set texts? I'm doing Cicero's Verres speech and the Livy about Scaevola for prose and then Storm at Sea from the Aeneid and Ship of State and Satires by Horace for the verse. I just. Have absolutely no idea how to learn them and it's freaking me out. I'm absolutely set for the language papers I think, which is a small relief! Memrise is amazing and very effective.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by roarchika
How is everyone revising the set texts? I'm doing Cicero's Verres speech and the Livy about Scaevola for prose and then Storm at Sea from the Aeneid and Ship of State and Satires by Horace for the verse. I just. Have absolutely no idea how to learn them and it's freaking me out. I'm absolutely set for the language papers I think, which is a small relief! Memrise is amazing and very effective.

Basically what I'm trying to do to learn set texts is to break them down into small chunks? Latin is so hard! What grades have you been getting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by negatron
Basically what I'm trying to do to learn set texts is to break them down into small chunks? Latin is so hard! What grades have you been getting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only done language mocks, but I'm getting ~90% in those. I might try breaking them down into small chunks; I'm desperate at this point!
It's actually not that bad , the questions asked are relatively easy , but it just requires the learning and that's it.
Reply 28
Original post by Lola1244
/Hi! Could anyone please quickly go through the major theme of the Aenied? Really confused!!

- it is an EPIC
- it's very extreme and contains a lot of hyperboles and exaggerations (eg, the gaping waves lay bare the ground between the waters)
- the winds are personified and named, making them seem very effective and powerful, could be seen as being a group of soldiers
- we see Aenias' mental pain very vividly through his direct speech when he begs the gods to spare him
-
Original post by ellie98
- it is an EPIC
- it's very extreme and contains a lot of hyperboles and exaggerations (eg, the gaping waves lay bare the ground between the waters)
- the winds are personified and named, making them seem very effective and powerful, could be seen as being a group of soldiers
- we see Aenias' mental pain very vividly through his direct speech when he begs the gods to spare him
-

Think some of those examples are from Aeneid 1w2, last years text rather than Aeneid 9 this years text however most the points are still valid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StressedByDay
From lines 99 please : ' When the King at once incensed by anger ...'. From that point onwards if possible

That's quite a lot. May I recommend that you get this book instead.

It's pricey but definitely worth it.

http://zigzageducation.co.uk/synopses/4352-Latin-GCSE-OCR-Set-Texts-Prose-Verse.asp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Xphoenix
Think some of those examples are from Aeneid 1w2, last years text rather than Aeneid 9 this years text however most the points are still valid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats the set text this year, at least, it's the one I'm taking :smile:
Original post by Crold
Hey everyone, I just thought I could start a thread for anyone doing GCSE OCR Latin, as there doesn't seem a specific one I could find??
I'm doing the full course with;

B401 - Language
B402 - Language
B403 - Prose Lit (Tres Feminae - Arria + Avunculus Meus (Pliny))
B404 - Verse Lit (Virgil's Aeneid)

So I kinda wondered if for the set texts anyone could share their style notes, just so that I can kinda check I have them all, as I've been collating my stuff into booklets to keep it neat and tidy

and if anyone needs any translations or style notes, I'm happy to help! We've not finished the Virgil yet in my class, but have got everything for the Prose texts!

Thanks

Hey I'm doing all the same texts as you! I don't have specific style notes, just kind of general literary criticism stuff all mixed up, like language analysis, character notes, etc. :/
Has anyone got any notes for Nisus & Eurylus? Would be a huge help if someone had some to send to me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing completely different texts to everyone!

I'm doing prose -Cicero and Livy
Verse - Horace travelers tale, Virgil and Horace state of troubled waters

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I'm doing completely different texts to everyone!

I'm doing prose -Cicero and Livy
Verse - Horace travelers tale, Virgil and Horace state of troubled waters

Posted from TSR Mobile

No this is what I'm doing as well :smile:
Yes! Finally someone else. How many people are in your Latin class?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Yes! Finally someone else. How many people are in your Latin class?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are 9 of us
but there are two other sets which are a bit bigger :smile:
how about you?
Original post by ellie98
There are 9 of us
but there are two other sets which are a bit bigger :smile:
how about you?

Wow! That's quite a lot, we only have 17 in our entire YEAR. Naturally, they put us all in one big class.

I plan to take Latin for A Level and I think that only 3 other people in my year want to do it. Latin seems to be an acquired taste.
We have 12 in our class :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending