The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin

Scroll to see replies

We have 20 in our class and 20 in the other! I think the only reason lots of people took Latin was because everyone hated French and we had to take a language :P
At A-level only 4 people (including me) are planning to take it though!
At our school we have to take a modern language(either French or German) and they consider Latin to be an extra. I think a lot more people would have taken Latin though if it meant they didn't have to take French or German. Latin is not part of the English Baccalaureate, which is why I think our school does not let you take Latin without taking another language.

It is quite sad that not many people take Latin any more because it's such a beautiful language. It deserves more recognition.
Only 10 people in our year is taking Latin :P , 7 are taking French and 43 are taking Spanish!
We've got uh, 5 or 6 people in Year 11 taking Latin this year, but our class is Year 10 + 11 combined and there are about 13 people in the class I think? It's sad because honestly Latin isn't that hard of a GCSE, and it's really useful in learning any other non-North European languages!
Original post by roarchika
We've got uh, 5 or 6 people in Year 11 taking Latin this year, but our class is Year 10 + 11 combined and there are about 13 people in the class I think? It's sad because honestly Latin isn't that hard of a GCSE, and it's really useful in learning any other non-North European languages!

I agree, I take French and German too(and am learning a little bit of Spanish on the side) and I can't express how useful Latin has been. It also helps sometimes in random other subjects like biology. Doing Latin literature has IMMENSELY improved my English literature analysis.

Personally, I think Latin prose is so much easier to analyse than English prose because it is such a poetic flexible language. I love Latin:love:
I take German and Latin eyyy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by negatron
I'm doing completely different texts to everyone!

I'm doing prose -Cicero and Livy
Verse - Horace travelers tale, Virgil and Horace state of troubled waters

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the same Verse. I think Horace sucks. Virgil is bae.
the Horace one is so long though! I havent started revising for them since they are my last exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
the Horace one is so long though! I havent started revising for them since they are my last exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 8 days to revise for verse. No excuse to fail Latin.
Language papers are so annoying ;the prose and verse set texts are definitely to my preference
Original post by StressedByDay
Language papers are so annoying ;the prose and verse set texts are definitely to my preference

Other way round for me, in my mocks I got a D in Verse and just scraped a C in prose.
Original post by amalick1029
Other way round for me, in my mocks I got a D in Verse and just scraped a C in prose.

That's the case with most people, since the literature papers are open to interpretation, and one mistake can lose you marks really quickly especially if it is a 10 marker or 8 marker.

Langauge, the mark scheme is very specific, and therefore it is almost right or wrong (but also allowing some room for error, with minor mistakes etc.)

People in my class typically are hitting from 40-57 out of 60 in language but come literature, even though we've done more work on it, the range is 15-48 out of 50.
What grammar comes up in paper 1 ; and for some reason paper 2 seems easier
Paper 2 has a longer translation doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Paper 2 has a longer translation doesn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it has less "easy" marks (i.e. the "What does ____ ____ in these lines" ones where your translation doesn't need to be exact).
Original post by StressedByDay
What grammar comes up in paper 1 ; and for some reason paper 2 seems easier

Paper 1 has 3 parts, comprehension, derivations and translation.
Paper 1 is generally easier for people but I did better in my Paper 2. I thought it was easier :3
For those doing Cicero/Livy/Horace/Virgil for their set text, I've set up courses on Memrise for most of the vocab (aka the ones that aren't super obvious or have derivations in English) that's defined in the OCR Anthology for them. (it took me like 5 hours, at this point I'm so done with Latin omg). Each one has ~90 words except for Ship of State (20 words), so it should only take a couple of hours in total and might just help you in the exam!

Cicero's Verres/Cleomenes: http://www.memrise.com/course/671570/cicero-verres-vocabulary-ocr-gcse-set-text/
Livy's Mucius Scaevola/Cloelia: http://www.memrise.com/course/671661/livy-mucius-scaevola-vocabulary-ocr-set-text/
Horace's Traveller's Tale: http://www.memrise.com/course/671772/horace-travellers-tale-vocab-ocr-set-text/
Virgil's Storm at Sea: http://www.memrise.com/course/671943/virgil-a-storm-at-sea-ocr-set-text/
Horace's Ship of State: http://www.memrise.com/course/672076/horace-ship-of-state-ocr-set-text/
1st Exam Tomorrow! Let's Get Hyped for Language 1!
Original post by Xphoenix
1st Exam Tomorrow! Let's Get Hyped for Language 1!

Yeah gonna cram some vocabulary today :wink:
woooooo latin exam ftw tomorrow :biggrin:D (pls kill meh)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending