The Student Room Group

IB subjects to take for medicine??!

What should I take for higher and standard level to study medicine at university?

What are the best combinations?
Which are the most popular?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would take a guess at Chemistry, Maths and Biology being the logical choices for higher level.
Reply 2
Original post by SirMasterKey
I would take a guess at Chemistry, Maths and Biology being the logical choices for higher level.

Thanks .do I have to do maths at higher level to study medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by SirMasterKey

Thank you so much :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
Thanks .do I have to do maths at higher level to study medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From looking at the page I just gave, no but my guess is that it would certainly help in the long run.

Although I have no experience of studying the IB, nor of medicine so am not really the best placed to answer.
Hi i'm currently in the IB and looking to do medicine :smile:

I take -
HL: Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
SL: Spanish, English and Maths

I wouldn't say that HL maths is required at all, many of my older friends who haven't taken HL maths have gotten into top universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and Kings for Medicine so it most definitely isn't required. If you truly like the subject (hence why you're taking it at HL and devoting a lot of your time into studying it) then take it! If you're just taking it to make your application 'look good' then I'd suggest not as it could potentially pull your grades down, as it's one of the hardest subjects to score a 7 on.
Hi,

I just applied for medicine and got two interviews. At HL I took bio, chem and econ and at SL I took spanish ab initio, maths and English lit.

You basically need bio and chem at HL (at 6s or 7,6) but few schools like Cambridge need maths at HL (not 100% sure). Tbh, just take bio and chem at HL and make all your other subjects be ones that you can score highly in. Obviously you need maths and English at any level if you're offering IB. Just choose subjects that you score highest in, as well.

I recommend looking up the requirements on the uni's website.
Reply 8
Original post by aprilreverie
Hi i'm currently in the IB and looking to do medicine :smile:

I take -
HL: Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
SL: Spanish, English and Maths

I wouldn't say that HL maths is required at all, many of my older friends who haven't taken HL maths have gotten into top universities such as Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and Kings for Medicine so it most definitely isn't required. If you truly like the subject (hence why you're taking it at HL and devoting a lot of your time into studying it) then take it! If you're just taking it to make your application 'look good' then I'd suggest not as it could potentially pull your grades down, as it's one of the hardest subjects to score a 7 on.

I wanted to take -
Higher level : Chemistry , Biology, Geography
Standard level : Spanish ab initio, English , Maths

If I do ab initio will it give me less points?
I already learn french but I'd like a change :yy:

And thanks!
I feel that HL maths will be hard and pull down my overall grade so I decided to do geography as I am good at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
I wanted to take -

And thanks!
I feel that HL maths will be hard and pull down my overall grade so I decided to do geography as I am good at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Inglisred
No :smile:

Awesome thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
I wanted to take -

And thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have the exact same subjects! (I also took french at GCSE, despised it although obtaining a good grade, and changed.) Most definitely not, Ab initio languages are unbelievably hard. We have to get up to SL level in 2 years, when students who do SL languages have been learning them for at least 4-5 years. They show universities that we are able to cope with a lot of new information and quickly get up to speed (essentially what universities courses are like.)
Reply 12
Original post by aprilreverie
We have the exact same subjects! (I also took french at GCSE, despised it although obtaining a good grade, and changed.) Most definitely not, Ab initio languages are unbelievably hard. We have to get up to SL level in 2 years, when students who do SL languages have been learning them for at least 4-5 years. They show universities that we are able to cope with a lot of new information and quickly get up to speed (essentially what universities courses are like.)

Oh okay. So would be a good idea to do ab initio or should I do french:smile:??
And thanks:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi,

I just applied for medicine and got two interviews. At HL I took bio, chem and econ and at SL I took spanish ab initio, maths and English lit.

You basically need bio and chem at HL (at 6s or 7,6) but few schools like Cambridge need maths at HL (not 100% sure). Tbh, just take bio and chem at HL and make all your other subjects be ones that you can score highly in. Obviously you need maths and English at any level if you're offering IB. Just choose subjects that you score highest in, as well.

I recommend looking up the requirements on the uni's website.

Thanks so much!!
Sorry for the late reply . I was revising lol:biggrin:so I took a break off TSR!!
But isn't higher maths harder than A2 maths? I don't really understand why Cambridge would not accept Standard Level Maths:confused:.
Original post by diana99
Thanks so much!!
Sorry for the late reply . I was revising lol:biggrin:so I took a break off TSR!!
But isn't higher maths harder than A2 maths? I don't really understand why Cambridge would not accept Standard Level Maths:confused:.

Again, I'm not 100% sure if they even do require maths at HL but I feel I read it somewhere... I can't really comment on whether IB maths HL is harder than A2 maths because I took neither.
Reply 15
You don't need biology to do medicine as you normally do in the first or second year of med school iirc.
Maths HL, Chemistry HL and another science such as Physics would look the best imo.
Original post by samiito
You don't need biology to do medicine as you normally do in the first or second year of med school iirc.
Maths HL, Chemistry HL and another science such as Physics would look the best imo.

Imperial and some others make biology mandatory.
Reply 17
Imperial and some others make biology mandatory.

Yeah I think it's needed for oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by samiito

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending