The Student Room Group

College loyalty?

I have an admissions question that I'd like some feedback on. I have completed a taught master's degree four years ago at Oxford. I left Oxford and the UK and have been doing other things since then. I am now planning to apply for a DPhil to commence study in Oct2015 and I am wondering if I should apply to the same college I was in four years ago, or do I choose a new one if it is more convenient to my flat/has more $... once in a college, always in that college or is it possible to take in some new sights?
I would say it really doesn't matter: apply to your old college if you are nostalgic and still believe it's the best college in the world, or go for a different one if you're curious in a new environment and think it's better for you. I'll be applying for an MSt starting in October 2015 and I'm going to choose my own college (Merton) because I do have loyalty to it and I think it provides great support socially and academically, but I'd considered graduate colleges too.
Reply 2
Original post by sberryms
I have an admissions question that I'd like some feedback on. I have completed a taught master's degree four years ago at Oxford. I left Oxford and the UK and have been doing other things since then. I am now planning to apply for a DPhil to commence study in Oct2015 and I am wondering if I should apply to the same college I was in four years ago, or do I choose a new one if it is more convenient to my flat/has more $... once in a college, always in that college or is it possible to take in some new sights?

One of my cousins has hopped between Oxford colleges during her academic career (even daring to do a year at a London uni in the process!). It hasn't done her any harm.

Apply to the college which best suits your academic needs. I'd be wary of choosing one based on proximity to your flat or size of its coffers, if it doesn't have a vague interest in your DPhil field. Even if you're supervised outside the college, it will help your application if your college has staff who can keep a weather eye on your progress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending