The Student Room Group

What size barbells should I use for a bodypump class??

I'm going to do a bodypump class at the gym, and read they use barbells. Just unsure as to what size I should go for?

i want to tone my arms up, NOT bulk them up. Thank you for any help

:smile:
Use the smallest they have, just to be safe. If you use one too big your arms will bulk up straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Toning is not a thing. You can look toned but you can't do toning- it's an adjective not a verb. In terms of changing body composition there are only four things your body can do:
Gain muscle
Gain fat
Loose muscle
Loose fat

Toning isn't on the list. At best it's a concept thought up to see you fitness products you don't need. So there is no such thing as toning routines/exercises/classes etc.

What most people mean to say is they want to achieve a toned look which is generally a decent bit of muscle with fairly low body fat. To achieve this you need to evaluate where you currently are in relation to your goal and decide what needs to change- eg do you need to gain muscle? Then go read the appropriate advice in the FAQ for that goal.
Original post by Fitness11
I'm going to do a bodypump class at the gym, and read they use barbells. Just unsure as to what size I should go for?

i want to tone my arms up, NOT bulk them up. Thank you for any help

:smile:

30kg's like me.
As far as I know there is only one bar type available, then you alter the weight for each body part. You will go heaviest for the squat track, then a lot light for ones which target the upper body. They normally advise how heavy to go, for example, they will advise you to take a third of the weight off your bar etc. Mostly it's all trial and error and took me a few goes to see what worked best for me. It may feel light but a whole song doing non stop reps absolutely kills. If in doubt, always choose the lighter option.

Bodypump didn't do me any good for 'toning'-I hate that word but you know what I mean- especially in the lower body. You'd be far be better off doing heavier weights for less reps in the gym- and no your arms won't get bulky! That being said, it is good fun and certainly does a lot more good than sitting around doing nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest