The Student Room Group

People who just go uni for a good time, not to study.

Scroll to see replies

I don't know anyone who went to university or is planning to go to university with the sole purpose to party! I think anyone who goes to university regardless of what the course is, will get a degree by the end of it and can use that to get a good job so its not really a waste of resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by orange crush
Probably because that would involve actual work?

Erm, no it won't.

Surely by now we've all learned that student debt is practically meaningless.

Yes, though many blow their maintenance loans on alcohol and end up taking overdrafts which in many cases isn't meaningless.
Reply 62
Original post by Precious Illusions
Very much agree with this :smile:

:rofl2: Always enjoy your posts.

Muchos Gracias :wink:
Original post by Steezy
Muchos Gracias :wink:

:biggrin:

Original post by Exceptional
Yes, though many blow their maintenance loans on alcohol and end up taking overdrafts which in many cases isn't meaningless.

I know people who have already exceeded their £1500 overdraft and...I just don't get how. (This is people who have the maximum loan too - I can understand if you only get the minimum as that isn't very much.)

Original post by kodlak
What's wrong with former technical colleges?

Its the way they are calling themselves universities when clearly they do not live to that academic standard.

Yea often the same people who whine about money are the ones that spend the most and have no idea how to handle it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hellodave5
It's not that much. I stayed at home to do my degree, so had to pay little. Now supporting my own post graduate education.

Mickey mouse degree? What is one of those? Former technical colleges?

I suppose if you stay at home u do pay less e.g. in rent etc but tuition fees are still paid in full did u pay £9000 or are u from the generation which paid £3000 its easier to pay of that.
Micky mouse degrees are ridiculous degrees made up in the last few years such as golf management, David Beckham studies etc.
Very poor degrees to get a job with so say golf management if I wanted to become a golf manager I'd go to my local team work up the ranks if someone walks in with golf management degree it will get treated as a jock anyone who works now will understand that members who are already in the company have 1st dibs on management instead of someone fresh out of uni.
Former technical colleges is basically a formers(typically arts) college which has been turned into a university so it charges for once simple enjoyable courses which you really do not need a degree to get the job for e.g hairdressing, animal care etc.
Original post by ETRC
They're taking up spaces of people who actually want to go uni to learn
they should just not apply at all

I doubt they're just there to party, it doesn't matter if they're taking places up because if the other person didn't get into the uni maybe they should have worked harder to get in.
Original post by Exceptional

Fair point, yup. I do drink and go out a lot but it's secondary to my course and I sure as hell am not in my overdraft.
Original post by TheElvenQueen
I suppose if you stay at home u do pay less e.g. in rent etc but tuition fees are still paid in full did u pay £9000 or are u from the generation which paid £3000 its easier to pay of that.
Micky mouse degrees are ridiculous degrees made up in the last few years such as golf management, David Beckham studies etc.
Very poor degrees to get a job with so say golf management if I wanted to become a golf manager I'd go to my local team work up the ranks if someone walks in with golf management degree it will get treated as a jock anyone who works now will understand that members who are already in the company have 1st dibs on management instead of someone fresh out of uni.
Former technical colleges is basically a formers(typically arts) college which has been turned into a university so it charges for once simple enjoyable courses which you really do not need a degree to get the job for e.g hairdressing, animal care etc.

I was unsure about what you meant initially, but what you are saying is sound in all respects - those that do those courses aren't much better off and in debt. Experiences in a lot of fields is the deciding factor, but education is increasingly important for some fields. With the cost being relatively high, there may be better alternatives to higher ed.

Though even the non-applicable general degrees like Psychology or English are useful for their transferable skills. But if you're just doing a degree, its much more useful to do something applied, like Engineering, Medicine, Nursing, Physiotherapy, etc.

But I don't think there are many people that really do true 'mickey mouse' courses. Some practically applicable specific courses that may not be deemed very acadmic like metallurgy for example may be highly useful, as the sector is relatively large (not sure if its a good example, but anyway).

I did Psychology, now MSc Neuroscience at Sheffield Hallam (an ex poly) so I could stay home and save on fees of moving away. Of the 3,000 generation. May do a second degree, which may be 4x 9,000 (unfortunately). See how it goes.

The small 6th form type universities (are there many?) would be really worth going to. I'm not sure if they only provide foundation degree level, or higher HND type stuff?
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree 100% stupid people who laze in alevels & GCSEs and claim to hate education etc then go to uni because they don't want to go into the real world of work where you are actually independent instead of a uni supporting you. These micky mouse degrees & former technical colleges are a waste of time and money. GOV is getting Americanised and by getting a debt at such a young age is shocking.

how much debt are you talking about?
Reply 71
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I doubt they're just there to party, it doesn't matter if they're taking places up because if the other person didn't get into the uni maybe they should have worked harder to get in.

You don't have to work hard, people are born naturally smart.
I know a few people that barely do much revision and get 4A's at as and accepted into top 10 unis.
Isn't the problem that we expect people to go to uni nowdays. They may feel the pressure to go to uni cos their friends are and they'll think that they should to for the lols and when that do, they won't know why hardly anyone will want to go down with them to the pub every night.
Original post by IWantToBeThere
how much debt are you talking about?

£50,000 tuition fees + other expenses (rent etc.)
Original post by ETRC
You don't have to work hard, people are born naturally smart.
I know a few people that barely do much revision and get 4A's at as and accepted into top 10 unis.

No but for some people like me we do have to work hard.
I think that an overall lowering of entry requirements and more 'interesting' subjects on offer have resulted in more people going to university and therefore a degree is not as valuable as it used to be. Plenty of people on my course did nothing but mess about and get drunk. It became my problem when I was forced to work with such idiots during group assignments and my marks were tied to theirs, people who thought that the lowest pass mark possible was good enough because it was still a pass (paired with me; a 1st class student throughout the whole 4 year degree!).
If they want to piss away 9k a year then let them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with you many jobs need experience in certain fields as its a more demanding factor. However with education I believe there are very few jobs that you need to be taught specifically by going to uni you can get knowledge from other places such as a library, on the job, online or an apprenticeship.
What the GOV needs to do is make other options more noticeable to student leavers instead of glamorising uni.
I think we should go back to letting a select few academics go to uni so we can get a working nation.
Well done on your MSc by the way Neurosciences is one of the sectors we need to increase.
Hmm the small 6form like unis are be few and far between and do foundation degrees.

Lets be honest to all prospective students if you were mediocre or worse don't walk into uni thinking your going to get a 1st as that will go to the A students and they will beat you in the jobs market anyway.
I don't see what the problem is, if they are just there to party they will fail in the first year and never be seen again.

It is their choice to spend £15,000 for one the best years of their life. Why are you lot so fussed about it?
Reply 79

Its the way they are calling themselves universities when clearly they do not live to that academic standard.

If they do degree courses they're a university. Stop being so pretentious.

Quick Reply

Latest