The Student Room Group

First Year Student Midwife- feel free to ask

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sheercaan
Wow that was kinda lucky. I'm trying to stay motivated as much as possible because i do find biology hard and i also take English and Psychology so i have a lot of work to do. But if i got the grades to get in to my college i feel like nothing can stop me now :smile:

Tell me about it, I couldn't believe it was written in front of me. You've picked 2 other very demanding subjects to be studying but Psychology may help you in Biology. Always seek help when you need it with a levels and your teachers are there to support you :smile:
Original post by PurdyGirl101
Tell me about it, I couldn't believe it was written in front of me. You've picked 2 other very demanding subjects to be studying but Psychology may help you in Biology. Always seek help when you need it with a levels and your teachers are there to support you :smile:

I know but they seem to go together nicely and yeah sometimes psychology does mix with biology so i guess its worth it. I haven't been asking teachers help when i need it but i'm definitely going to have to start soon.
Hi, has anyone on your course done a BTEC extended diploma in health and social care opposed to A levels? Thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mitzi_Holley
Hi, has anyone on your course done a BTEC extended diploma in health and social care opposed to A levels? Thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I believe there are some girls that have done that instead of A Levels!
Reply 24
Hey Laura, another Laura here!

I have a question about the application, interview process etc.

I'm applying as a mature student for 2015 entry and am only putting Anglia Ruskin down as a choice as it's close to me and it's the only university I want to go to.

How soon after submitting your application did you hear from Anglia Ruskin? And did they give you an offer straight away or did you have to attend an interview/entrance exam first?

Thanks! x
Original post by Laura94B
Hey Laura, another Laura here!

How soon after submitting your application did you hear from Anglia Ruskin? And did they give you an offer straight away or did you have to attend an interview/entrance exam first?

Thanks! x

Hi Laura, I think I heard back 2 weeks after applying that I had an interview. Everyone who is short listed for interview does the Maths and English tests as well as the group activity and individual interview. I was the third group to be interviewed and we were told that we wouldn't hear until the end of March/early April if we were successful. I got my offer a month later x
Reply 26
Thank you! So nervous and stressing so much about it as I'm only applying there and know it's majorly competitive. Just want to know one way or the other ASAP now! X
Thank you! So nervous and stressing so much about it as I'm only applying there and know it's majorly competitive. Just want to know one way or the other ASAP now! X

Do you have an interview? I was in town when I saw that email waiting for a bus and my jaw hit the floor. I was given odd looks by a couple but I was in shock x
Reply 28
Do you have an interview? I was in town when I saw that email waiting for a bus and my jaw hit the floor. I was given odd looks by a couple but I was in shock x

Aw bless! No I've literally just applied but winding myself up with stress as I want it so much! Confident with my personal statement though so I just need the opportunity to interview and all will be well :smile: x
Aw bless! No I've literally just applied but winding myself up with stress as I want it so much! Confident with my personal statement though so I just need the opportunity to interview and all will be well :smile: x

I have my fingers crossed for you. You never know I may see you at an interview :smile: x
Reply 30
I have my fingers crossed for you. You never know I may see you at an interview :smile: x

Thanks!! x
Hey!

Just wondering if you, or others on your course done much in the way of work experience/volunteering? I recently became a healthcare/nursing assistant which is amazing experience but would also like to do some volunteering more closely related to women/pregnancy to make my application stand out a bit more.

Hi, I'm studying Midwifery at ARU. I decided to create this thread so anyone can ask me about what it is like to be a student midwife, uni life and what the course itself and placements are like.

I've been offered a place at ARU, holding off firming as waiting for one more uni to get back to me. Just wondering what sort of free time you had? And if you moved away from home how often was you able to go back?
Original post by lilycarr16
I've been offered a place at ARU, holding off firming as waiting for one more uni to get back to me. Just wondering what sort of free time you had? And if you moved away from home how often was you able to go back?

Many congrats on your offer! Which campus is the offer for?

Well the amount of free time we have is probably similar to other unis which is not much. Sometimes I have a few days off in a row and other times it can be a few weeks before I get a day off. When your on placement it depends when you're shifts are and these aren't always the same with each placement. I'm in halls and I tend to go back a) if I have a 3 day weekend, b) when I can afford it, c) if it's someone's birthday and depending in my work load. I tend to do work before the weekend if I'm going home or take small bits to do on the train
Original post by Turtlelove91
Hey!

Just wondering if you, or others on your course done much in the way of work experience/volunteering? I recently became a healthcare/nursing assistant which is amazing experience but would also like to do some volunteering more closely related to women/pregnancy to make my application stand out a bit more.

Sorry I thought I'd replied earlier to you:colondollar: Compared to some of the girls I've not done much but I'd volunteered with Guides and worked as a Customer Assistant in a shop. You need to relate these to the role of the midwife. A few of the girls were breastfeeding supporters but they've related the skills they've learnt from this to how it will help,them I the course.
Well the amount of free time we have is probably similar to other unis which is not much. Sometimes I have a few days off in a row and other times it can be a few weeks before I get a day off. When your on placement it depends when you're shifts are and these aren't always the same with each placement. I'm in halls and I tend to go back a) if I have a 3 day weekend, b) when I can afford it, c) if it's someone's birthday and depending in my work load. I tend to do work before the weekend if I'm going home or take small bits to do on the train

Thank you! It's for Chelmsford. Thanks for answering :smile:
Thank you! It's for Chelmsford. Thanks for answering :smile:

That's my campus! Which interview day were you at? :smile:
That's my campus! Which interview day were you at? :smile:

Think it was the 28th of January!
Think it was the 28th of January!

I had to wait about 2 months before I could firm ARU as I was waiting to hear if I had an interview at another uni. Would you be living in halls?

Quick Reply

Latest