The Student Room Group

First Year Student Midwife- feel free to ask

Hi, I'm studying Midwifery at ARU. I decided to create this thread so anyone can ask me about what it is like to be a student midwife, uni life and what the course itself and placements are like.

Scroll to see replies

how do you make your way to your placement if its late at night or early in the morning when public transport isnt on? Do you drive? Get a taxi?
What's your favourite and least favourite thing about the course? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma_davidson
how do you make your way to your placement if its late at night or early in the morning when public transport isnt on? Do you drive? Get a taxi?

For my first placement I've been in the community so my usual clinical day would start at 8am and finish at 5pm. My next placement is a birthing unit and the early's there start at 7:30am and there's buses running at those times. I don't drive as I personally don't see the point in having a car that I would struggle to financially run due to the lack of money we receive. I'm Dyslexic so I find it much easier for me to research into bus routes and bus timetables well in advance. You can't claim travel expenses for using taxis I'm afraid
Original post by LilacFlorence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I've unfortunately not witnessed any births just yet despite being called round to Labour Ward and to a Homebirth which is annoying when some people are already delivering babies. For me I'm not very confident so I was really shy when I started the course which really developed while on placement. To the extent I was asked about it by a patient and I sat back and realised how far I'd come by that time with my confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Least favourite thing is how unprepared I felt when I had to deal with very upsetting circumstances such as a miscarriage and one lady having a crash section when I saw her that morning and everything was normal. Those moments are very dark and are extremely eye opening but the support you receive afterwards is fantastic. Make use of the reflection days you have with sharing these experiences with others and you feel better by talking about it.
Original post by PurdyGirl101
Hi, I'm studying Midwifery at ARU. I decided to create this thread so anyone can ask me about what it is like to be a student midwife, uni life and what the course itself and placements are like.

What A levels did you do if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by German123
What A levels did you do if you dont mind me asking?

I did ICT, Human Biology and Double Health and Social Care
I did ICT, Human Biology and Double Health and Social Care

Do you have to do Biology to become a midwife or you could get away with just doing health and social care? Just wondering...

Hi, i am in my first year at 6th form and i am hoping to become a midwife :smile:. If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get to be accepted in to university. And did you take biology at A level because i am now and im finding it increasingly hard.
thanks
Original post by German123
Do you have to do Biology to become a midwife or you could get away with just doing health and social care? Just wondering...

You don't have to do Biology but some unis request that you do. One girl on my course just did health and social care. Your first module is Anatomy and Physiology and lecturers do understand that not everyone has done a biology. We were told that it does put you at an advantage if you do as you already have a background on some body systems. People without biology do catch up and others will help you if you're struggling :smile:
You don't have to do Biology but some unis request that you do. One girl on my course just did health and social care. Your first module is Anatomy and Physiology and lecturers do understand that not everyone has done a biology. We were told that it does put you at an advantage if you do as you already have a background on some body systems. People without biology do catch up and others will help you if you're struggling :smile:

Thanks for the information.

Edit: It was helpful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sheercaan
Hi, i am in my first year at 6th form and i am hoping to become a midwife :smile:. If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get to be accepted in to university. And did you take biology at A level because i am now and im finding it increasingly hard.
thanks

I achieved CCDD at A level which was lower than my offer of 300 ucas points but, I did have a very stressful circumstance during my exams with my dad having severe health problems which required surgery. I took Human Biology at A level as I didn't like straight Biology but I also struggled with it at times but I asked my teachers for advice and YouTube videos were fantastic to help explain things to me.
I achieved CCDD at A level which was lower than my offer of 300 ucas points but, I did have a very stressful circumstance during my exams with my dad having severe health problems which required surgery. I took Human Biology at A level as I didn't like straight Biology but I also struggled with it at times but I asked my teachers for advice and YouTube videos were fantastic to help explain things to me.

Im sorry to hear about that. I would've preferred to take human biology but my 6th form didn't offer it. I find it quite hard now and im hoping that i will be able to continue with it into A2. I will have to take a look at YouTube videos. I have only been predicted a D and i am hoping for more. Do you find university harder than college was? Is it more enjoyable because you just focus on one topic?
Im sorry to hear about that. I would've preferred to take human biology but my 6th form didn't offer it. I find it quite hard now and im hoping that i will be able to continue with it into A2. I will have to take a look at YouTube videos. I have only been predicted a D and i am hoping for more. Do you find university harder than college was? Is it more enjoyable because you just focus on one topic?

The Khan Academy videos on YouTube are really good. I was predicted a B but achieved a C. Since I've been at uni I've been diagnosed with Dyselxia and I've received amazing support that I never had while at school. I find uni far more enjoyable than sixth form as I'm doing a subject I love and I can just focus my attention on that. Placement ties everything you learn in theory into practice which I love and find more useful than sitting in a lecture hall all the time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well I've unfortunately not witnessed any births just yet despite being called round to Labour Ward and to a Homebirth which is annoying when some people are already delivering babies. For me I'm not very confident so I was really shy when I started the course which really developed while on placement. To the extent I was asked about it by a patient and I sat back and realised how far I'd come by that time with my confidence.

Thanks that's really interesting! Is midwifery the only course you considered or did you look at others like nursing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks that's really interesting! Is midwifery the only course you considered or did you look at others like nursing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I originally wanted to go into Medicine or do something in medical research so I started looking into those kind of degrees and I was doing other A levels that were more for those subjects. I woke up one morning in the middle of year 12 wanting to do Midwifery but I think it was always something that I wanted to do. Pregnancy has always fascinated me and how the body adapts to accommodate a growing fetus is incredible. I never wanted to go into Nursing
The Khan Academy videos on YouTube are really good. I was predicted a B but achieved a C. Since I've been at uni I've been diagnosed with Dyselxia and I've received amazing support that I never had while at school. I find uni far more enjoyable than sixth form as I'm doing a student I love and I can just focus my attention on that. Placement ties everything you learn in theory into practice which I love and find more useful than sitting in a lecture hall all the time.

That's good then because i know that it will be hard work but if it is enjoyable it will make it all the better. This has motivated me to do better and to achieve my dreams and accomplish my goals :smile:
That's good then because i know that it will be hard work but if it is enjoyable it will make it all the better. This has motivated me to do better and to achieve my dreams and accomplish my goals :smile:

I'm happy to hear that I've motivated you. I only had one offer for Midwifery which was stressful but it worked as an advantage to make me work hard. My dad's surgery just made me work even harder to make him proud and studying gave me a way of blocking it out. Plus I had to learn about his health problem and the treatments for it which came up in my last exam and everyone else really struggled with it :smile:
I'm happy to hear that I've motivated you. I only had one offer for Midwifery which was stressful but it worked as an advantage to make me work hard. My dad's surgery just made me work even harder to make him proud and studying gave me a way of blocking it out. Plus I had to learn about his health problem and the treatments for it which came up in my last exam and everyone else really struggled with it :smile:

Wow that was kinda lucky. I'm trying to stay motivated as much as possible because i do find biology hard and i also take English and Psychology so i have a lot of work to do. But if i got the grades to get in to my college i feel like nothing can stop me now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending