The Student Room Group

Informal Interview - Portfolio?!?!

Hello there! I really hope at least one person can help me out

I am applying for a web development course in my local university and they offered me an informal interview, i am fine with that. But the part that freaks me out is that they requested a portfolio unexpectedly. Well i have no employee experience within the web development industry because there aren't many web development companies where i live, i do have knowledge of some coding languages and I've applied them numerous times as i have had my fair share of website creating experience in the past but the work from that is all gone. In my A-level IT work, i have created a tabled website using Dreamweaver and basically that is the only thing i have to add to my portfolio.

What should i do??
Original post by Saleem786
Hello there! I really hope at least one person can help me out

I am applying for a web development course in my local university and they offered me an informal interview, i am fine with that. But the part that freaks me out is that they requested a portfolio unexpectedly. Well i have no employee experience within the web development industry because there aren't many web development companies where i live, i do have knowledge of some coding languages and I've applied them numerous times as i have had my fair share of website creating experience in the past but the work from that is all gone. In my A-level IT work, i have created a tabled website using Dreamweaver and basically that is the only thing i have to add to my portfolio.

What should i do??

Are you saying that all the websites you created have been taken down?

Can you create another site before the interview?
Hi there,

I'd recommend mocking some designs up in photoshop. They can teach you the coding but developing real design skills tends to come more naturally.

It might even be a good idea to print off some screenshots of major websites and critique them.

Finally, check ThemeForest for inspiration!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Are you saying that all the websites you created have been taken down?

Can you create another site before the interview?

I never published those website as they were mere projects to teach me code. And no, it is next week. But take not that it is an informal interview, so i don't know if it is important
Reply 4
Original post by saulgoodman
Hi there,

I'd recommend mocking some designs up in photoshop. They can teach you the coding but developing real design skills tends to come more naturally.

It might even be a good idea to print off some screenshots of major websites and critique them.

Finally, check ThemeForest for inspiration!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I seen themeforest before but i feel like i am deceiving them and the website in themeforest are simply too good for me copy and paste.
Original post by Saleem786
I never published those website as they were mere projects to teach me code. And no, it is next week. But take not that it is an informal interview, so i don't know if it is important

If the code is good, it doesn't necessarily have to come from a published website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending