The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

First year

Hey potential new freshers for next year :smile: this year is my first year at uni and I remember 12 months ago I felt exactly like you do right now. Which accommodation is best? Where do I want to live? How much will everything cost? Well I'm offering the chance for anyone with any questions whatsoever to message me. I study Sports Coaching at collegiate campus while living at bramall court. I also know a bit about the forge. If you have any questions about the above, or Sheffield in general, feel free to message me and I'll do my best to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey I've been looking at accommodation for my 1st year and wondering if you know if any of the buildings usually have more 1s years? I think I'm just slightly scared about the possibility about living with 2nd/3d years.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Most buildings from what I can gather are mainly first years anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lukecouchman
Hey potential new freshers for next year :smile: this year is my first year at uni and I remember 12 months ago I felt exactly like you do right now. Which accommodation is best? Where do I want to live? How much will everything cost? Well I'm offering the chance for anyone with any questions whatsoever to message me. I study Sports Coaching at collegiate campus while living at bramall court. I also know a bit about the forge. If you have any questions about the above, or Sheffield in general, feel free to message me and I'll do my best to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! Just firmed a conditional offer for social work at Sheffield hallam :smile: I'm looking at the forge and the leadmill point accommodation... How do these sounds as the pictures aren't great on the website !!!!!
Reply 4
Only been in the forge and even then I'd recommend bramall court over that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Harrietswinford
Hello! Just firmed a conditional offer for social work at Sheffield hallam :smile: I'm looking at the forge and the leadmill point accommodation... How do these sounds as the pictures aren't great on the website !!!!!

I started my course in September and deferred till next year. I stayed at the Forge whilst i was there and i would not recommend it. I was there for a couple of weeks and in that time the power went out,the water went off,the hot water went off,the heating went off and the internet pretty much never worked. The hallways were always filled with pizza boxes and the lift was always covered in sick. They never seemed to clean or fix anything. They also charge you on your deposit for every little thing. When i left, I left a speck of blue tac on the wall and boom £50 charge for clean up and my flatmates lost their entire deposit because a screw went missing from a stool. Would defo suggest Trigon over the Forge, its only a little further around the corner and a lot better. Unless the couple of minutes closer to collegiate campus matter to you then I wouldn't choose the Forge!
Original post by KlufcS
I started my course in September and deferred till next year. I stayed at the Forge whilst i was there and i would not recommend it. I was there for a couple of weeks and in that time the power went out,the water went off,the hot water went off,the heating went off and the internet pretty much never worked. The hallways were always filled with pizza boxes and the lift was always covered in sick. They never seemed to clean or fix anything. They also charge you on your deposit for every little thing. When i left, I left a speck of blue tac on the wall and boom £50 charge for clean up and my flatmates lost their entire deposit because a screw went missing from a stool. Would defo suggest Trigon over the Forge, its only a little further around the corner and a lot better. Unless the couple of minutes closer to collegiate campus matter to you then I wouldn't choose the Forge!

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I'll definitely take that into consideration xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile: How would you say bramall court is for noise level? I'm hoping for somewhere that isn't too much of a party place cause I'll be out on placement a lot and want to able to sleep! From the website Bramall court definitely looks like you get the most space for your money too.

Do you know anything about the anvil or Charlotte court? I'm between the three at the moment I think.
Reply 8
Security come round at 12am telling people off for too much noise. Don't know anything about the other 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good to know, thanks for the info!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whats the sports coaching course like? I've applied for Sports coaching and then sports coaching with development and I'm not sure which course to go for, I'm interested in teaching:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Luke Couchman, I went to the open day and I liked Fenton House when I saw it as it seemed quite social. Is this true and is there/have you heard anything bad about it?Thanks Luke Couchman..
Hi I have just been given the dates for my Student Loan payments and the first one is a month after I start. What can I do about this? Am I also correct in thinking the Sports Coaching course starts on September 19th. Thanks.
Original post by Jordan Martin
Hi I have just been given the dates for my Student Loan payments and the first one is a month after I start. What can I do about this? Am I also correct in thinking the Sports Coaching course starts on September 19th. Thanks.

Hi Jordan,

1) You will receive your maintenance loan (if you have applied for any) when you begin your course in September, so you've still got a little time before you need to pay your first fee. There can be occasions where a handful of students don't receive their student loan in time for the first payment, but Student Services will help you if this happens. They can provide funds and support if you report it to them asap.

Your course fees are paid straight to the university from Student Finance, so you don't need to worry about that side of things, it's just for your records.

2) Welcome Week begins on 19th September this year, so you'll have a course introduction along with a week of freshers fun. Academic teaching starts fully in the following week, so your seminars and lectures will kick in fully.

I hope that helps :biggrin: We look forward to meeting you on the course.

Thanks,
Laura
(Official Hallam rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending