The Student Room Group

Second Year of Uni: IT Apprenticeship?

So I'm in my second year if doing my course (computer science) but want to an apprenticeship instead of third year to experience as my course is too intense i find ut hard or no time to develop my programming skills) . Really want to thus.
1. Whats the likely hood of me getting on one?

2.Will i be rejected having been to uni?

Im working on building my website for a portfolio.

Please help me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi there.

Having completed a degree and an it apprenticeship I would say my apprenticeship was far harder as my job is much more challenging. Added to this there is the workload of the coursework over and above.

I would say it depends on what role you are looking to do. I work in 3rd line support and find it far more challenging than uni but it is also totally different so it may depend.

In regards to uni impacting you getting an apprenticeship it may depend on the employer offering the apprenticeship as there may be an impact on finance. Certainly it didnt stop me as my employer funded my studies rather than the gov. You may be asked fairly probing questions at interview as to why you want to leave uni and do an apprenticeship.
Reply 2
So If I understand correctly your dropping out?
If not does your uni not offer placements?
Reply 3
Original post by ichak
Hi there.

Having completed a degree and an it apprenticeship I would say my apprenticeship was far harder as my job is much more challenging. Added to this there is the workload of the coursework over and above.

I would say it depends on what role you are looking to do. I work in 3rd line support and find it far more challenging than uni but it is also totally different so it may depend.

In regards to uni impacting you getting an apprenticeship it may depend on the employer offering the apprenticeship as there may be an impact on finance. Certainly it didnt stop me as my employer funded my studies rather than the gov. You may be asked fairly probing questions at interview as to why you want to leave uni and do an apprenticeship.

I'm staying at uni for the rest of the academic year then resitting the year at another university. Hoping to get offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending