The Student Room Group

SCITT/Schools Direct 2015

Hi guys!

I can't find a thread for people applying to SCITT or Schools Direct in 2015, so I thought I would make one!

I submitted my application before Christmas and one of my schools emailed today asking to interview me on Wednesday! Bricking it is an understatement...

Anyone else out there? Cooeeeeee!

Scroll to see replies

Hi Sophyla, congrats on the interview. I have an interview for School Direct F/KS1 next tues. Just got my letter today. I have to prepare a 10 min presentation, have a one-to-one interview, take part in a group activity, and complete a literacy & numeracy test! Oh crikey - feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment!!!
Where is your interview?
Lynn
Original post by Sophyla
Hi guys!

I can't find a thread for people applying to SCITT or Schools Direct in 2015, so I thought I would make one!

I submitted my application before Christmas and one of my schools emailed today asking to interview me on Wednesday! Bricking it is an understatement...

I'm doing SCITT based School Direct this year - any questions let me know!
Congrats on the interviews guys!

I applied for two Primary school direct places via the University of Nottingham (currently studying Psychology there too) and a PGCE
at Nottingham Trent. I wanted the option of both PGCE & SD but I was so determined to get a SD place!

I was invited to a university based interview at the University of Nottingham for the two school direct places and was successful. I was then invited to the two school based interviews and was successful at the first one (via Torch TSA) on 9/12/14, this was also my preferred alliance.
I was actually called the same day of the interview with the offer which was AMAZING! I loved the where the interview took place so much that I withdrew from my second SD and PGCE interview.

Happy to answer any questions about the university stage/school based interview for SD

Is anybody else doing SD in nottingham?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sarahlou_xx
Congrats on the interviews guys!

I applied for two school direct places via the University of Nottingham (currently studying Psychology there too) and a PGCE
at Nottingham Trent. I wanted the option of both PGCE & SD but I was so determined to get a SD place!

I was invited to a university based interview at the University of Nottingham for the two school direct places and was successful. I was then invited to the two school based interviews and was successful at the first one (via Torch TSA) on 9/12/14, this was also my preferred alliance.
I was actually called the same day of the interview with the offer which was AMAZING! I loved the where the interview took place so much that I withdrew from my second SD and PGCE interview.

Happy to answer any questions about the university stage/school based interview for SD

Is anybody else doing SD in nottingham?

Primary or secondary? :smile: My interview is tomorrow for a secondary psychology place and i don't know what they want from the 'discuss current issues in schools' question! Commence mild panic!
Reply 5
Original post by choco22478
Hi Sophyla, congrats on the interview. I have an interview for School Direct F/KS1 next tues. Just got my letter today. I have to prepare a 10 min presentation, have a one-to-one interview, take part in a group activity, and complete a literacy & numeracy test! Oh crikey - feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment!!!
Where is your interview?
Lynn

Wow, that sounds like a long day! Mine is a lesson planning and teaching exercise, then an interview in front of a panel and literacy tasks (Whyyyy I've done my professional skills!!!!). Squeak!

Mines in a secondary school, teaching Psychology! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sophyla
Primary or secondary? :smile: My interview is tomorrow for a secondary psychology place and i don't know what they want from the 'discuss current issues in schools' question! Commence mild panic!

I applied for Primary and the school i'm going to be in is a junior school (year 3-6).

For current issues I spoke about how inclusion is incredibly important now. I know quite a bit about this as I studied an educational psychology module. You could also talk about how Ofsted has now changed from a more lesson observation approach to focusing more on how work is marked. I had some work experience in a school and they spoke about how Ofsted now check books for evidence of appropriate feedback to each child and future targets for that child. I linked this with the inclusion issue as it shows that each child has appropriate feedback for their level.
But you could mention so much... bullying, healthy eating, technology or class sizes.

I found the school direct interview to be so relaxed. It was honestly the most pleasant interview I've ever done! Good luck!
Reply 7
I applied for Primary and the school i'm going to be in is a junior school (year 3-6).

For current issues I spoke about how inclusion is incredibly important now. I know quite a bit about this as I studied an educational psychology module. You could also talk about how Ofsted has now changed from a more lesson observation approach to focusing more on how work is marked. I had some work experience in a school and they spoke about how Ofsted now check books for evidence of appropriate feedback to each child and future targets for that child. I linked this with the inclusion issue as it shows that each child has appropriate feedback for their level.
But you could mention so much... bullying, healthy eating, technology or class sizes.

I found the school direct interview to be so relaxed. It was honestly the most pleasant interview I've ever done! Good luck!

Oooh I love the inclusion thing. I've been working in a school for a year and a half as a module now and my mind just went blank. We haven't had the new Ofsted yet though, I was working at AQA over summer and had to look up some reports, they were very harsh.
Thank you so much! Are you starting in September? :smile:
Original post by Sophyla
Oooh I love the inclusion thing. I've been working in a school for a year and a half as a module now and my mind just went blank. We haven't had the new Ofsted yet though, I was working at AQA over summer and had to look up some reports, they were very harsh.
Thank you so much! Are you starting in September? :smile:

Yeah my mind would have gone blank in the interview if i'd not prepared for that question. I start late August :smile:

Hi, I've got my school direct interview tomorrow at the University of Nottingham. I'm so nervous. I'm glad you've said it was quite relaxed.
Did you have to do a presentation and written task?
Congratulations on getting a place.
Original post by stay30pink
Hi, I've got my school direct interview tomorrow at the University of Nottingham. I'm so nervous. I'm glad you've said it was quite relaxed.

Congrats! What alliance have you applied to?

Yes we started the day with a presentation about the course which seemed to put everyone at ease.
We then split into small groups and did a short task about scenarios which was really basic and just looking at how we communicate with others.
Then we did the presentation to the people in the small groups. Everyone seemed to be nervous for this, which for some reason made me feel better. But after everyone said how it wasn't as bad as they thought, so don't over worry!
After that we started on the written task which is really simple and just shows them that you have good writing skills and while we were doing that, people went off for their individual interviews.

Good luck!
Original post by stay30pink

Best of luck for your interview today. Deep breaths, deep breaths :wink: x (and be sure to tell us all about it!)
I could do with some advice if anyone has got the time? My school-based interview for SD primary (F/KS1) is next tues (13th). I've done quite a bit of research on basic teaching interview questions, and revision for the skills tests (maths is most definately my weakness), and I've also done a lot of online research for my presentation task (show how you would include a book, suitable for the age range you want to teach, in a lesson). My worry is ive looked at soooooo much online that my head is now total mush!!!! I've got around 6 different lessons that I could do - but don't know which one to do for the best! I'm concerned the lessons might just be too boring/ run-of-the-mill. Think I'm putting too much pressure on myself to come up with something incredible - that it'll end up being a total disaster!!!!
Anyone else had panic set in yet?????
I could do with some advice if anyone has got the time? My school-based interview for SD primary (F/KS1) is next tues (13th). I've done quite a bit of research on basic teaching interview questions, and revision for the skills tests (maths is most definately my weakness), and I've also done a lot of online research for my presentation task (show how you would include a book, suitable for the age range you want to teach, in a lesson). My worry is ive looked at soooooo much online that my head is now total mush!!!! I've got around 6 different lessons that I could do - but don't know which one to do for the best! I'm concerned the lessons might just be too boring/ run-of-the-mill. Think I'm putting too much pressure on myself to come up with something incredible - that it'll end up being a total disaster!!!!
Anyone else had panic set in yet?????

I wrote out possible questions I may be asked and then my answers for them. I also worked backwards and thought of how my job as a sales assistant, work experience abroad and here, my degree ect could all be used to answer any sort of question fired at me. So for whatever question they could ask, I wouldn't be stuck for a specific example as I could use one of those things to answer. I know a girl who went to the same interview as me who didn't get in and her feedback was that she didn't use enough examples. So make sure that every question you answer is backed up by an experience of yours.

Make things as easy as possible for you when it comes to the book presentation. Do the one you feel most confident with as it may be that something may put you off or whatever and you need to feel confident with dealing with that situation. In a past interview I presented a 7 minute lesson to 2 adults pretending to be misbehaving children. I made sure that I was confident with the lesson so that I could adapt even when they were putting me off. I doubt very much that that will happen at your interview, but the better you know the lesson, they more confident you will come across :smile: What ideas do you have?
Reply 14
Original post by Sophyla
Hi guys!

I submit my application just before new year. Applied for three Schools Direct (Salaried) schools. Have my first interview on Monday. Fingers crossed.
Reply 15
Hey everyone,

Didn't realise this thread existed. I got my school direct place for Secondary Biology next year. Anybody else studying in Reading for the PGCE?
Reply 16
Best of luck for your interview today. Deep breaths, deep breaths :wink: x (and be sure to tell us all about it!)

Thank you :biggrin: My interview was yesterday and they offered me a place on the spot! I'm so excited :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Sophyla
Thank you :biggrin: My interview was yesterday and they offered me a place on the spot! I'm so excited :biggrin: :biggrin:

That's fantastic! It's the greatest feeling ever isn't it? :smile: where is it?
Reply 18
Folks, I got my offer for a place but on UCAS it says: 'Subject to to you obtaining Professional Skills Test by July 2015
Subject Knowledge Enhancement for Psychology -KS4-5'

I've got my PST so that's no problem, but subject knowledge enhancement? Is this something I have to source by myself? I've studied my subject for five years :tongue:

Confusion reigns!
Reply 19
That's fantastic! It's the greatest feeling ever isn't it? :smile: where is it?

It's the Yorkshire Three Counties Alliance - much excitement!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending