The Student Room Group

A2 ICT Coursework (AQA)

Anyone doing a relational database for their A2 ICT coursework? I'm going ok so far on the analysis section, but we've been told to 'write a list of user requirements' over half-term. This isn't a very complicated question but I just wondered how anyone else had gone about this...is it literally a list? Do we need to explain each point in more detail? Roughly how many user reqs should there be, or does it just depend on the individual system?

Also...anyone else doing this project- whereabouts are you? I'm guessing that most people would still be in the analysis stage? :cool:

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did the OCR CW last year, but from what you are saying, I would suggest that you think up as many points as you can, the more the better and then justify each one with a few lines. Maybe introduce the user requirements with a short intro and then conclude, with the req. in the middle.
Reply 2
yeah i'm doing it aswell but i'm strugglin to come up wit a idea any help?
Reply 3
Thanks Rahmed, sounds like good advice!!

Latics- do you mean you don't know what to do as a project? Have you found a real end user? Know anyone who could use a database?
Reply 4
yeah was gonna do a pub quiz but looked unrealistic to me so now i can't think of a new one
Reply 5
I've done my user requirements, however, I didn't even think to justify them. I literally wrote a list. :smile:

I've completed the first section (minus the data flow diagrams), and have started the Design stage.
Reply 6
Latics- hmmm that sounds difficult, I agree about the pub quiz cos it's not really business-related enough. How about something for a driving instructor if you have one? (I know that's similar to the examples in the text books but I don't think that stops you doing it) - I *think*.

Xtrm2Matt- aaaaargh the data flow diagrams! When are you planning to do those? I've completed those and they were horrible- are you finding it difficult to do the Design stage without them, or do you have a clear enough idea of what you need anyway?
Reply 7
I've finding it hard to do the Design stage now without them. I've got to normalise my data and create entity relationship diagrams and I really need DFD's for it. I *still* haven't done them... I'm planning on doing them sometime this week :p:
Reply 8
Lol well I assure you, you will feel much better once you've finally got the b*****d things done!!

Hmm normalising and entity relationship diagrams...that sounds scary...haven't got there yet!
Reply 9
Been doing my Data Flow Diagrams most of the week. They are due in tomorrow, and I just realised I left my Access book in school (lent it out on Wednesday, left early and forgot to get it back, whoops!), so I can't do anyything at all, and obviously can't finish them.

Normalising the data was pretty easy. Only got 2 parts left of the Design/Specification stage to do and I'm onto the actual creation of the system (scary :x).

How are you getting on?
Oops about not having the book! :eek: Hope that sorts itself out and you weren't brutally slaughtered by your teacher or anything...I wouldn't put it past some of mine...

Wow, your actual creation coming up soon! Good luck with that! I'm still on the analysis and haven't got started on design yet, although I've got a fairly good idea of how it will be, just haven't got it down on paper yet. We should be moving onto that next week. Our teacher is taking it pretty slow because we're taking the exam for module 4 in january so she's balancing that with the coursework...still, I'm uneasy and want to get on with it!!

When's your final deadline? Ours is March 27th so that gives us a while yet...I say that, but then I'll probably be rushing to finish it at the end!
Reply 11
:eek: We've been given no deadline! We're just given deadlines for specific parts, i.e. Design is to be done by 24th November (or something).

I should probably start doing some of this coursework at home :p: Just don't seem to have the time at the mo. :smile:

Would probably be a good idea for me to go over the theory work, we've done very little so far :s-smilie:!
No deadline?! Well I suppose that shouldn't be a problem if you stick to the deadlines as you go along!

Aah the theory work...are you enjoying the little that you've done so far? I've found it to be so boring :frown: I would have taken Law, Business & Accounting if I'd wanted to do b*st*rding audit trails and the data protection act! Last year was much more interesting, networks & software and such. Grr.

I shall stop ranting now and look forward to my double ICT lesson tomorrow morning!

I don't think you've mentioned btw...what company are you doing your coursework on?

Have fun :wink:
Reply 13
Doing my coursework on a local leisure center (gym/swimming pool/etc). Basically going to handle the members / subscriptions.

Turns out I'm surprisingly ahead of most of the people in my class. I've done all sections (minus Data Flow Diagrams, but I've done Level 0 / most of Level 1! (they are surprisingly easy once you get going!)) up to Macro Designs now. We've been told to leave them for now, so just a section or two more and I've done the Design section :smile:

How are things going your end?
Leisure centre sounds good! :biggrin: Well done on being ahead, sounds great that you've pretty much got the Design wrapped up!

My class have all now handed in our complete Analysis so next lesson I'm guessing we'll be starting the Design...argh, I hate that kind of thing, I always hated doing plans before writing stories in English :P I want to just plunge in and do it!

Mine's about newspapers btw..it's a b**tard thing to do. My dad writes newspapers for local housing associations and boring things like that, and I'm doing a thing where he'll be able to search for previous articles and issues etc, and also send out correspondences and invoices to printing companies, the housing people...argh, it's turning into a spaghetti junction!

Good luck with completing the Level 1 DFD, and the Level 2. They're not TOO bad I suppose but I was amazed at how much detail you have to go down to! Hopefully it will help in the long run when it comes to building...

Let me know how things progress!
anyone got their project they can upload - would be a great help cheers.
Well I haven't even started actually building it yet, so nope- not yet! Still on the Design section, and not very far through that...
Reply 17
Woot! Done all sections now. I'm supposed to be actually building it from today but I just don't know where to start.

[cue doss lessons! :frown:]
hey matt could you upload everything you've done so far and pm it to me, i really need some additional templates and structure to my write-up and database. Its killing me as i haven't even started to contemplate how im going to go about it.
Woohoo well done for doing all the sections! I've just finished normalisation and started on the data dictionary but receiving no help whatsoever from our idiot teacher so it's a bit difficult!!

Good luck with the building :P I'm sure once you dive in you'll see what you have to do. Maybe starting with just setting up the basic tables?

Latest

Trending

Trending