The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4480
Original post by Lúcio

exactly; i've been in education without a break since i was 4, so this will be interesting.
i'll still be doing a fair amount of work, but it's also relaxing to know that you free time is completely free.
no assignments or revision that you could be doing; you can literally just do whatever you want with nothing in the back of your mind.

My brother has pretty much been out of education for a year. Funnily enough he got his PHD offer at Warwick today but he said he hated having to wait for so long to get back into it.
Original post by RA95
My brother has pretty much been out of education for a year. Funnily enough he got his PHD offer at Warwick today but he said he hated having to wait for so long to get back into it.

yeah; it'll definitely be a change, but i guess it's up to me to make it a good change.
it's only one year, and i have a real purpose to it - accumulate funds for the masters, so it's not like i'm just lazing about doing nothing :tongue:
Original post by swirly
elaborate pls.

you know he never did the technical side of things, that was Steve Wozniak.

Jobs was just the visionary and salesman.

in a head to head with Gates, if you HAD to give the genius label to one of them, it would be Gates.

His ideas were pioneering. Not to discredit the technical side but they're more commonplace than a visionary like Jobs. It's easy in hindsight to attribute credit to Wozniak but who would've seen this dynasty built? The guy who sold his shares for $800 certainly didn't (can't remember his name), but he kept on trying and look where it got him. Agree that Gates is levels above but dot see why it has to be mutually exclusive. Also fuark can't believe he died 4 years ago.
Original post by swirly
@Lyrical Prodigy mother**** your mother****ing blue card.

Yeah cos you don't bloody listen.

Original post by fallen_acorns
what happened on here? were some posts deleted? or was the issue on another thread?

No?
Original post by Depleted
His ideas were pioneering. Not to discredit the technical side but they're more commonplace than a visionary like Jobs. It's easy in hindsight to attribute credit to Wozniak but who would've seen this dynasty built? The guy who sold his shares for $800 certainly didn't (can't remember his name), but he kept on trying and look where it got him. Agree that Gates is levels above but dot see why it has to be mutually exclusive. Also fuark can't believe he died 4 years ago.

his ideas weren't his though. looking at the breakthrough products:

he stole the mouse and GUI from Xerox, the very foundations of the Macintosh personal computer.

Apple openly admitted to stealing the iPod concept from Kane Kramer who invented somthing similar in 1979, but refused to pay him anything for it. The revolutionary ipod click wheel was stolen from Creative.

iTunes was not the first online music retailer. This was Rimoteca which had the same basic functions as iTunes and contracted with the major distributors. he also purchased the GUI from an existing business, Soundjam.

The iPhone was not the first touch screen mobile phone. its innovative multi gesture touch had been invented by FingerWorks in the 1990s.

The iPad had been unveiled by Microsoft near a decade before Apple, as the MS tablet.

he was a world class salesman. he took existing products and packaged it in a slightly better way with a pretty bow.

im apple everything, iphone, ipad, mac. but I wouldnt say Jobs was a genius.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by swirly
his ideas weren't his though. looking at the breakthrough products:

he stole the mouse and GUI from Xerox, the very foundations of the Macintosh personal computer.

iTunes was not the first online music retailer. This was Rimoteca which had the same basic functions as iTunes and contracted with the major distributors. he also purchased the GUI from an existing business, Soundjam.

The iPhone was not the first touch screen mobile phone. its innovative multi gesture touch had been invented by FingerWorks in the 1990s.

The iPad had been unveiled by Microsoft near a decade before Apple, as the MS tablet.

he was a world class salesman. he took existing products and packaged it in a slightly better way with a pretty bow.

im apple everything, iphone, ipad, mac. but I wouldnt say Jobs was a genius.

Hmm interesting, didn't know that. I guess purely on his salesmanship he'll go in history, and I'm nobody to be able to discredit him. I suppose he developed ideas and made them marketable which is more than the aforementioned could. He is below Gates for sure though.
Hmm interesting, didn't know that. I guess purely on his salesmanship he'll go in history, and I'm nobody to be able to discredit him. I suppose he developed ideas and made them marketable which is more than the aforementioned could. He is below Gates for sure though.

yeah no doubt he'll go down in history. Apple is currently the largest company in the world. It sits on cash reserves of over $150 billion, with a market capitalisation of $750 billion.

To put that into perspective, the whole value of Nike is near $80 billion. It could buy Nike nearly twice over just out of cash reserves. money lying around.

Great businessman and salesman, but not in the category of 'Genius' for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
highly recommend the Men who built America on Netflix.
Android master race
Original post by swirly
yeah no doubt he'll go down in history. Apple is currently the largest company in the world. It sits on cash reserves of over $150 billion, with a market capitalisation of $750 billion.

To put that into perspective, the whole value of Nike is near $80 billion. It could buy Nike nearly twice over just out of cash reserves. money lying around.

Great businessman and salesman, but not in the category of 'Genius' for me.

Surely you arguing that he possessed no extraordinary skill-set, yet the mere fact he was still able to build such a huge company is actually a skill in itself? In a similar way, the Kardashian's are extremely talented
Surely you arguing that he possessed no extraordinary skill-set, yet the mere fact he was still able to build such a huge company is actually a skill in itself? In a similar way, the Kardashian's are extremely talented

no, he was extra ordinary. he was an extraordinary communicator (essential salesman skill). if you've ever watched the interview with jobs and gates, you can see how silky a communicator he is, compared to Gates who was stumbling over his words in the limelight. at one point, he even halts Bill and says let me finish that story for you :lol:. similarly world class pitching at WWDC, he was a real perfectionist with it.

he just wasnt a 'genius'. A genius in the sense of being an original thinker who changes the way we think about the world, in the light of a Leonardo Da Vinci, Isaac Newton, Shakespeare, Aristotle, Plato, Tesla, Beethoven etc.

lol at thinking it's them making any kind of important decisions/business ventures and not PAs.
Original post by Wilfred Little
lol at thinking it's them making any kind of important decisions/business ventures and not PAs.

Of course now, but at some point they had to start that up. And that's regardless of the point, in order to even have a PA you have to be successful. Fwiw I despise them as human beings, from a business sense there's a lot to be desire though.
Of course now, but at some point they had to start that up. And that's regardless of the point, in order to even have a PA you have to be successful. Fwiw I despise them as human beings, from a business sense there's a lot to be desire though.

yeah or have a sex tape leaked.

There success essentially comes down to Robert Kardashian. Hollywood's power lawyer. famous for notoriously being part of OJ Simpson Dream Team of lawyers.

Had Robert not got them into the powerful families in Hollywood, they would not have been in a position to network with people such as Paris Hilton (Kim used to be Paris' bitch), and put themselves in a position to start something up. Similarly, had Robert not got them into Hollywood, Kim wouldn't have been in a position to meet Ray J and make a sex tape with him.
and for the record OJ did it.
What swirly said.

How much have you seen/read on the OJ case?
Original post by swirly
and for the record OJ did it.

Lmao why talk to me like I ain't heard of their dad brah. To maintain their success they've done well, usually people fade from the limelight but they've built a dynasty that looks like it's gonna last another generation even with a tranny step-dad.
Lmao why talk to me like I ain't heard of their dad brah. To maintain their success they've done well, usually people fade from the limelight but they've built a dynasty that looks like it's gonna last another generation even with a tranny step-dad.

They've just been advised well.

Kim is the American Abi Titmuss.
Original post by Wilfred Little
They've just been advised well.

Kim is the American Abi Titmuss.

No idea who that is tbh. Wish I could make that much money without the fame without a talent :frown:

Latest