The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

BA (Hons) Acting Audition Help

Hi so I'm auditioning next week for the BA Acting course and I have no idea what to expect. I mean I've read the booklet thing and know about the 3 pieces but I'm just nervous I guess as to what to expect! I'm coming from outside Manchester so I don't know the city or anything. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by TJFG
Hi so I'm auditioning next week for the BA Acting course and I have no idea what to expect. I mean I've read the booklet thing and know about the 3 pieces but I'm just nervous I guess as to what to expect! I'm coming from outside Manchester so I don't know the city or anything. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Hi, I'm also auditioning for the BA Acting course at MMU, I don't have any idea what to expect either! Even my audition date is a bit ambiguous at the moment because they sent me two (I could have missed it or it could be tomorrow, I don't even know). I'm also coming from outside the city so I don't know much particularly about it only that it is pretty big! Loads of shops and stuff. I don't really know what to expect either, only that it will be just you in a room with a few teachers, you'll do two, maybe all three of your speeches and then you go to do a workshop with a load of other candidates. Hopefully it will all be explained when I get there!:smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
I'm auditioning on Tuesday and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you guys! I'm coming from outside Manchester on the train, and I think the train station on Oxford Street (I think that's what the street is called anyway!) is about 10 minutes away from the campus.

What even happens in the workshop? I'm all set to go with the 3 pieces, but I have no idea what goes on in the workshop...

Good luck to you both!
Reply 3
I auditioned last week (7th Jan) and it was pretty good! The workshop is just a big group warm up that you and all the other candidates do, it warms up your bodies and for my group we were told to imagine how our character would walk and act and talk so it was just getting us into the mindset of things ready for the monologues. After that they split us into four groups and we went off into separate rooms to perform our Shakespearian and modern day monologues (they didn't ask to see the third monologue) in front of a smaller group of people. Then once that finished we had a talk from the director of the school about what happens in each of the years and there was a Q&A. It all lasted about an hour and a half and they said they'd get back to us with the recall or rejection notice within 7-10 days. I hope this helps you get more of an idea about what goes on! Good luck!:smile:
Original post by lhayward
I auditioned last week (7th Jan) and it was pretty good! The workshop is just a big group warm up that you and all the other candidates do, it warms up your bodies and for my group we were told to imagine how our character would walk and act and talk so it was just getting us into the mindset of things ready for the monologues. After that they split us into four groups and we went off into separate rooms to perform our Shakespearian and modern day monologues (they didn't ask to see the third monologue) in front of a smaller group of people. Then once that finished we had a talk from the director of the school about what happens in each of the years and there was a Q&A. It all lasted about an hour and a half and they said they'd get back to us with the recall or rejection notice within 7-10 days. I hope this helps you get more of an idea about what goes on! Good luck!:smile:

Nice! I'm glad it went well for you! I'm less nervous now, actually :')
By a smaller group of people, was it people from the group you were separated into or just a few teachers that you had to perform the monologues in front of? Thank you so much for the information, takes a huge weight off everything! And good luck to you as well, I hope you get a recall :smile:
Also, what did you wear? This may seem like a bit of trivial question, but I'm not sure whether to go for a vest, cardigan and leggings or a jumper. I need something loose fitting, but I have absolutely no idea :eek:
Reply 6
Thank you! The wait to hear back from them is seeming to take forever! The smaller group of people is the group you're seperated into from the whole group, so you're performing in front of other auditionees and then one teacher. I wore black leggings and a black loose fitting top with converse and that seemed to be normal attire for my group. They ask to take any heavy outdoor shoes off, so like boots, but converse and lightweight trainers are fine :smile:
Ooh, that sounds pretty cool! Thank you so much for the information, it's put my mind a little more at ease :smile:

Good luck and I hope you hear back soon!
Hello :smile: has anyone heard of any offers been given out yet for the BA acting for September 2015? Thanks
Reply 9
Hi, I wanted to know the same thing, I was offered a place on the BA Acting at Man Met! Anyone else got any offers as yet?
Original post by SP_2015
Hi, I wanted to know the same thing, I was offered a place on the BA Acting at Man Met! Anyone else got any offers as yet?

Congrats! When did you hear? I'm still waiting to hear and my recall was in March...
Reply 11
Thank you! I had my recall on the 13th April and found out through email and ucas on 20th April. So literally a week later. What date was your recall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Also did you get called back to stay for the afternoon session?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SP_2015
Also did you get called back to stay for the afternoon session?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had my recall on the 26th of March and got through to the afternoon, and still haven't heard anything! Do you know anyone else who has an offer? I'm wondering if they have forgotten about me haha!
Reply 14
Ohh wow that's a bit weird then. I had my recall date later than yours and found out earlier than you, I think you should give them a call perhaps. To find out for sure. I know there has been a mix up with the ucas website though. Loads of people have been getting their notifications really late. And no I don't know anyone else who has got back a result from them yet but that's because I don't know anyone else who got a recall. So I'm sure there are others who must have heard back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I think I'll send an email to see what's going on- better to know either way. Let me know if you do you hear of anything, and congrats again
Hey all!

I know this thread hasn't been active for a while, but I have a few questions for those of you who managed to get in to MMU: What did you pick for your monologues? How did you decide what to pick? Did you contrast your monologues, and if so, how?

Thank you in advance!
Reply 17
yooo!!!!!, I auditioned last year and I chose King Lear's Edmund- Thou nature art my goddess... and my contemporary was Pancake Tuesday from a Canadian playwright called Linsday Price... Both of my pieces did contrast with eachother but I had help and input from my college tutor in terms of my classical but felt my contemporary was one that gave room for a varied range of emotions throughout and I was engaged in the story

I wish you the best of luck with it all!
Reply 18
Hey !!! Can you still get offered a place onto the BA acting course if you didn’t get asked to stay for the afternoon? Or is it quite unlikely :smile:
Original post by gkfen
Hey !!! Can you still get offered a place onto the BA acting course if you didn’t get asked to stay for the afternoon? Or is it quite unlikely :smile:

Hello

You should hear back about your audition within 3-4 days. Good luck! :crossedf:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending