The Student Room Group
Reply 1
wonkey
hey,
just wondering which r the top law firms?? and do u have to have a law degree to go into this profession?? will a law conversion be enough?? and how do i find out if its possible to do a conversion at my uni??
thanx. sorry, i'm really ignorant!

top law firms, if you are concerned with money and prestige are Magic Circle firms which have a reputation for very long hours. They are:

Allen & Overy
Slaughter & May
Clifford Chance
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Linklaters

You definitely do not have to have a law defree to go into law and a law conversion will be great.

What uni do you go to? It is probably best to do whatever degree you do and then do a PgDL (post graduate diploma in law) at a law school like BPP

I hope that helps you a little!
Reply 2
thanks, thats excellent. i'll be starting at warwick in sept doing management!
i just wanted to spend a year doing corporate law afterwards.....so i'm just a bit confused as to what i actually have to do......and what i need exemptions in?! hmmm.........i don't want to become a barrister but maybe become a legal adviser for consultancy firms.
Reply 3
by legal advisor i suppose you mean a lwyer which definitely requires you to go to a law school. if not, and you just want a basic knowledge of law you could do one of the BPP summer schools
Reply 4
1. Management degree @ Warwick.
2. 1 year PgDL following this at somewhere like College of Law, Oxford Institute, BPP etc.
3. 1 year LPC at somewhere like CoL, Ox, BPP etc.
4. 2 year TC at big City law firm.
5. Qualification.
6. Probably 1-3 years following qualifcation; work in-house for consultancy firm.
Reply 5
wonkey
hey,
just wondering which r the top law firms?? and do u have to have a law degree to go into this profession?? will a law conversion be enough?? and how do i find out if its possible to do a conversion at my uni??
thanx. sorry, i'm really ignorant!

http://www.eurolegal.org/webresources/uklawfirms.htm
Reply 6

These rankings are based on size, which is different to ranking them in terms of 'best' or 'top'. Still, it makes interesting reading on partner profits!
Reply 7
muncrun
These rankings are based on size, which is different to ranking them in terms of 'best' or 'top'. Still, it makes interesting reading on partner profits!

I think we'd all have a good laugh if Eversheds were regarded as the best law firm in the country... :wink:
Reply 8
Vitriol
1. Management degree @ Warwick.
2. 1 year PgDL following this at somewhere like College of Law, Oxford Institute, BPP etc.
3. 1 year LPC at somewhere like CoL, Ox, BPP etc.
4. 2 year TC at big City law firm.
5. Qualification.
6. Probably 1-3 years following qualifcation; work in-house for consultancy firm.

OMGGGGGGGGG............lol, i'm shocked......really shocked. ok, say i did the 1yr PgDL thing.....if i stop there, wot am i entitled to be able to do?? and say i do that as well as 1yr LPC......wot bout that??
do i need everything from point 4-6?? :rolleyes:
Reply 9
viviki
Law conversion is fine and look on their website

Thank u for all replies!! anymore info pls do say!! :smile:
Reply 10
If you want to work in-house for a firm like Accenture, then yes, it is all necessary.

LPC is vocational training and you'll probably do it at the same place as your CPE/ PgDL.

Latest

Trending

Trending