The Student Room Group

First year nursing placements!

Is anyone in the know of when placements start in the first year of uni? I have a full time job and I'm not sure whether to save all of my annual leave for this year or if placements will start after Christmas?
Original post by MiniDubber
Is anyone in the know of when placements start in the first year of uni? I have a full time job and I'm not sure whether to save all of my annual leave for this year or if placements will start after Christmas?

You're working a full time job whilst undertaking full time study to train as a nurse? I doubt you'll manage tbh. Something will suffer as a result. I doubt anyone in full time employment has enough annual leave to cover all clinical placements in a year and you have to attend all your lectures, if you miss enough of them you won't meet the conditions needed to qualify as a nurse, ie: 2300 hours of study and 2300 hours of clinical practice. I have seen someone fail at the end of their third year because they thought lectures didn't have to be attended.

Either way, in answer to your question, it varies from university to university. Some start placements before Christmas, others don't, you'd have to ask individual universities.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
It's not an option to work full time, we had 19 weeks of placement in first year. I doubt you have 19 weeks of annual leave available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending