The Student Room Group

Too late to think about a serious Law application?

I know virtually no-one on this forum is qualified to answer these questions, but anyone with any advice in the same situation may be able to help me.

I'm in my A-level year, I've taken Chemistry, Biology and Physics (and ICT at AS). I have suddenly decided that I want to take a degree in law. Here are my questions:

- Are my subjects good, or bad for a law degee? How well off will I be compared to other candidates with for example, A levels in English, History and buisness studies?

- Am I too late to be considering a law degree?

- My AS grades were AABB C (IT/Bio/Chemi/Phys/Crit think) , I am predicted AAA, are these grades, (particularly AS grades) good enough for a semi-respectable law school?

- I have no work experienced lined up, where is the best place to get work experience?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

John
Ur subjects are fine as they are academic. Law schools have no overt preference to english et al over sciences (I have chem, phys, hist and maths).

You probably are a bit late, but there is no harm as after all no-one's apps are closed except Oxbridge I think.

Ur grades should be fine for a respectable law school, AAB schools should take up the vast maj of your form ... maybe chuck in a cpl AAAs and maybe one slightly lower - I don't know how much weight is attached to predicteds over attained sorry.

Best way to get experience is with solicitors in your town, but since you will be applying sometime in the next 2 weeks or so this isn't going to happen, and once you have applied you would have no need for such experience, unless for personal enjoyment of course!
Reply 2
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Ur subjects are fine as they are academic. Law schools have no overt preference to english et al over sciences (I have chem, phys, hist and maths).

You probably are a bit late, but there is no harm as after all no-one's apps are closed except Oxbridge I think.

Ur grades should be fine for a respectable law school, AAB schools should take up the vast maj of your form ... maybe chuck in a cpl AAAs and maybe one slightly lower - I don't know how much weight is attached to predicteds over attained sorry.

Best way to get experience is with solicitors in your town, but since you will be applying sometime in the next 2 weeks or so this isn't going to happen, and once you have applied you would have no need for such experience, unless for personal enjoyment of course!

I could arrange work experience at short notice within the next month...and talk about it in past tense on my personal statement. Risky, but worth it?
Reply 3
You could mention books you've read/public speaking experience/ visiting a court in lieu of work experience,itll be easier to arrange andmight actually give you more to talk about (esp if you want the past tense to be accurate lol)
Reply 4
Subjects definitely not a problem - I also did Chem, Physics, History and Maths and know a fair few people who did all science.

john171
I could arrange work experience at short notice within the next month...and talk about it in past tense on my personal statement. Risky, but worth it?

If you know you can get it then why don't you just telly the truth and say you have work experience arranged for November? Then if you're interviewed you can talk about it, and if not it still shows you're keen! :smile:
john171
I know virtually no-one on this forum is qualified to answer these questions, but anyone with any advice in the same situation may be able to help me.

I'm in my A-level year, I've taken Chemistry, Biology and Physics (and ICT at AS). I have suddenly decided that I want to take a degree in law. Here are my questions:

- Are my subjects good, or bad for a law degee? How well off will I be compared to other candidates with for example, A levels in English, History and buisness studies?

- Am I too late to be considering a law degree?

- My AS grades were AABB C (IT/Bio/Chemi/Phys/Crit think) , I am predicted AAA, are these grades, (particularly AS grades) good enough for a semi-respectable law school?

- I have no work experienced lined up, where is the best place to get work experience?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

John

John your subjects are grand never worry :smile: also no your not too late just throw in a few applications via UCAS and with the work experience just get some lined up for the next time your off school for a week or so or get it part time on a sat etc and never worry you'll get there in the end :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending