The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Help with Modules

Hi

I left school over ten years ago and now I'm returning to study, I wasn't interested in learning Back then, now I enjoy learning and find it fascinating. I'm fine with maths and english up to foundation but have no knowledge of science or geography and this is what Im interested in. I want to take a science module and move on from there, I'm also taking the MU123 Discovering Mathemtics module, I'm keen on learnng and have been reading for years and appreciate knowledge. I have a few simple questions to start with:

Would it be better to take the Science, Technology and Maths access course or start with a Level 1 module such as S104?

How far of a jump is it from discovering mathematics to essential mathematics 1, does mu123 consist of higher and foundation?

Also I've checked for the past papers for MU123 and M140 but there ain't any, are they available somewere ?
Original post by Mauritius99
Hi

Would it be better to take the Science, Technology and Maths access course or start with a Level 1 module such as S104?

How far of a jump is it from discovering mathematics to essential mathematics 1, does mu123 consist of higher and foundation?

Also I've checked for the past papers for MU123 and M140 but there ain't any, are they available somewere ?

You may be able to get the access module for free based on income/employer etc..should read: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/do-it/access as if the worry of the cost is not an issue it might not hurt to do it. However you can always buy second hand copies of materials and/or look for relevant sections on OpenLearn and try the 'Are you ready for' quizzes (linked from module desc on webpage) for different modules to see how much knowledge you have and what level you can cope with before registering for anything.

Level 1 modules are supposed to build up to GCSE, A level (and possibly beyond) standard to allow people from all backgrounds a chance however they introduced the access module as an ease back into education before trying to cover Level1 so it might be worth doing.
As for past papers, MU123 & M140 have an assignment at the end as opposed to an exam so there won't be any past papers available (level 1 usually don't have exams) but for modules ones that do the past papers can usually be found at: https://rsm2.rsmsecure.com/ousacart/webstore/store.php?dept_no=8
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
S104 is a really good module and eases you in... I didn't have any science knowledge before my biochem degree and S104 was fine and helps you for future levels! Don't bother with access go straight for S104

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
There is a maths diagnostic quiz on the OU to see whether you should do mu123 or mst124.

Look under "am I ready?" On the module descriptions. Try those first and see how you get on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending