The Student Room Group

PhD Proposal

Hi all!

I'm finishing up a proposal to do a Sociology PhD. I've already completed my MSc with distinction, and the proposal is meant to build off some questions that I raised in the masters dissertation. I am departing a bit on both methodology and case studies. For people who have successfully submitted proposals, how detailed did you go into your methodology? (Esp. given that we have a 3-5 pg. limit usually!).

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Reply 1
Oh, no one has replied to you. I find that is a great pity as I wanted to know the answer!

I am currently finishing off my proposal - my two prospective supervisors have already read my proposal and have returned it with comments... I really need to rewrite the methodology and I'm looking for pointers. Do you,zeezzyyyy, have any documents that you could high,ight here that were good to use to direct you on your methodology??

Many thanks,

M.
You need to give an overview of the different types of methods you propose using and why with references to when they've been used before and for what.
Reply 3
Thank you Aleycat393, I was getting mixed up with the methodology required for the thesis. Thereofre it is great news that it only means the methods, as I know what I'm wanting to do.

Seeing my supervisor first thing on Monday with my proposal, so I can work on it tomorrow.

M.

Quick Reply

Latest