The Student Room Group

Can you transfer after FOUNDATION year?

Hi, I'm currently applying for an English Degree with a Foundation Year (this is at a higher ranked University, my other choices are at lower ranked Uni's however this is my only chance at getting into a higher end Uni as my A-Levels weren't amazing). Basically, I was wondering if I studied a foundation year at 'said' University and didn't like the University, could I transfer to a different Uni to start studying my degree at Year 1 even if my qualifications didn't meet their entry requirements (despite having completed foundation year at 'said' University). Maybe I will love the Uni, but I'm planning ahead.

Another question. Is it worth doing a Foundation Year? The Universities I'm applying for (English) are all Universities I wouldn't mind going to and they seem good, however the one Uni with the Foundation Year seems like my ideal place to go, with the course modules being so specific to what I'd like to do in the future (they also have the chance to study abroad which is a major positive for me). So is it worth doing the FY and going to a higher ranked Uni which IMO has more interesting modules but having to do a pretty much useless year (and then having to do first year which doesn't even count towards my Degree so basically 2 'useless' years) or a Uni where I can jump straight into my degree?
Reply 1
It's difficult to transfer after a Foundation Year, as these are usually attached to a specific degree course and would be designed to prepare you for that one course. A Foundation Degree would be more transferable but not many unis have those.

When the uni with the FY offers what you're looking for (higher ranked, modules you're interested in, overseas study option, "ideal"), I don't understand why you'd be thinking about transferring away from it at this stage.

You need to stop thinking of the FY as "useless". It will get you into your preferred uni, which is reason enough to do it.
It'll depend on the uni of origin and destination uni, so really you'll only be able to tell if you email them.

Quick Reply

Latest