The Student Room Group

Home Office: Schools/nurseries should monitor children for signs of 'extremism'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neal95
Gosh your kidding right!? That's really rude of them! Does your mum teach in a majority Muslim area or something?

No it's true. They went on school trips to a temple and a church and one kids was absolutely hysterical because he was so afraid of entering a church! And yeah it's a very multicultural and disadvantaged area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
No it's true. They went on school trips to a temple and a church and one kids was absolutely hysterical because he was so afraid of entering a church! And yeah it's a very multicultural and disadvantaged area

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's unacceptable on their part! If that's the case it does make you wonder what these particular children are taught at home then. And yeah I often drive through a deprived area to go to football match and you do see people act strangely, as in just different to everything I do. I guess it's more important to introduce these children to traditional ideals as it's obviously harder for then to assimilate
Original post by neal95
Wow that's unacceptable on their part! If that's the case it does make you wonder what these particular children are taught at home then. And yeah I often drive through a deprived area to go to football match and you do see people act strangely, as in just different to everything I do. I guess it's more important to introduce these children to traditional ideals as it's obviously harder for then to assimilate

Yeah it is quite sad for some of them, but I suppose all these schools can do is to teach tolerance and acceptance. They do have Diwali Day, Eid Day, Chinese New Year and Christmas celebrations, so they are at least learning about other cultures!
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Ah yes always had fun hiding my copy of Mein Kampf from Miss Higginbottom in Year 2

/s

This made me laugh but seriously, I got into trouble and my parents called into Primary school [year 3] because I got bored of reading school library books which I found too easy. When a teacher asked me what sort of books I liked to read, I answered famous people's biography's- maybe Malcolm X's or Hitlers. She said "Well, Hitlers evil so why would you want to read about him?" I answered back "You tell me he's evil but I want to make up my own mind"...

I was an eight year old kid who wanted to find out things for myself. My parents got called in to discuss my 'troubling' behaviour... wtf?:confused:
Original post by boods8897
Yeah it is quite sad for some of them, but I suppose all these schools can do is to teach tolerance and acceptance. They do have Diwali Day, Eid Day, Chinese New Year and Christmas celebrations, so they are at least learning about other cultures!

I guess it's still something but they should learn about the main religions of Great Britain aswell, and seeing that they live here aswell they should try and be more aware an respectful of these religions. Then again children are very malleable so of course it's not their fault, they will just listen and blindly follow what they are told by their parents a lot of the time
If young children come out with extreme language, whether it be religious fanaticism or racism, I do not think it should just be ignored.

With extremism a growing problem in young people, I think it would be irresponsible for the government not to try and prevent it at a younger age. Toddlers spouting extremism, which they have learnt at home or in religious premises, could turn into the teenagers who go off and fight for ISIS. In addition, do we really want to avoid stopping our young people from being indoctrinated in religious extremism? How would that benefit society or create the sort of adults that we want in our society?

The government should be careful in how it reacts to extreme language, i.e. not being too heavy handed, but to say nothing should be done is negligent and irresponsible in my opinion.
They couldn't have sounded more police state if they tried. This instance is obviously absurdly over the top but it's representative of the wider trend of using of terrorism as an excuse to exert control over the public.
Original post by Octohedral

If it's the families then this will work initially, but it will create a huge amount of tension, fear and ill-will, leading to greater problems and probably more extremism.

So if a child is being taught and indoctrinated in the most extreme depths of Wahhabism, and spouting extreme language at school, the family responsible for doing this (hypothetically) should just be allowed to get on with it so as not to upset them?
Original post by Chlorophile
They couldn't have sounded more police state if they tried. This instance is obviously absurdly over the top but it's representative of the wider trend of using of terrorism as an excuse to exert control over the public.

So if a toddler, for example, praised the KKK and used the 'n' word, you would expect the nursery staff upon hearing this just to ignore it? Not to tell anyone, even their head teacher? That sounds irresponsible to me.
Ah yes always had fun hiding my copy of Mein Kampf from Miss Higginbottom in Year 2

you slipped through the net Bandy :fuhrer:
I guess that if you want to maintain the state in which your country currently is (freedom, liberties etc), you can't joyfully help to raise a generation that will destroy everything the country was made to be during centuries...
Original post by Lady Comstock
So if a toddler, for example, praised the KKK and used the 'n' word, you would expect the nursery staff upon hearing this just to ignore it? Not to tell anyone, even their head teacher? That sounds irresponsible to me.

A toddler quite obviously hasn't got a clue what the KKK is so any kind of "praising" they do will just be repeating something someone said to them (most likely a mischievous older sibling) and pretty much the same goes for the 'n' word. If a toddler went around nursery using that kind of language then a normal teacher would probably want to have a word with the child's parents to let them know what's going on. That's fine. What we don't need is political leaders trying to create a massive terrorism scare by trying to act as if our toddlers are all at risk of becoming violent jihadists.
Original post by Lady Comstock
The article doesn't suggest that anything more than informing someone senior and bringing the parents in would be done if a child spouted religious extremism in school. The difference is that it would be a legal duty not to ignore it, which I am frankly surprised is not already in place.

I imagine things would get more serious and other agencies would become involved if the parents had no problem with the language or if the language continued, but I would expect this in the case of extreme racist views as well.

They're not "extreme racist views". Toddlers can't have extreme racist views. A toddler expressing their love for the KKK is no more racist than a parrot saying it. I'm not entirely sure what toddlers you hang around with but they must be prodigies if they're intellectually developed enough to have anything that's remotely comparable to "extreme racist views". This doesn't need to be written in law. I've got more than enough faith that teachers will know how to deal with this with the status quo, we don't need a legal framework that's probably going to achieve nothing but shift the blame of some terrorist incident on some poor innocent teacher along with perpetuating the terrorism scare the west is obsessed with.
We need a HUAC of some sort, but not targeting toddlers. That's silly. Do you think that during WWII kids were monitored for signs of Nazi sympathy?

I would be in favour of large scale anti-Islamist propaganda (whether it is independent or government-funded, I do not much care), to counter the Islamofascist nonsense that some parents teach their poor children.
Original post by zebby1999
This made me laugh but seriously, I got into trouble and my parents called into Primary school [year 3] because I got bored of reading school library books which I found too easy. When a teacher asked me what sort of books I liked to read, I answered famous people's biography's- maybe Malcolm X's or Hitlers. She said "Well, Hitlers evil so why would you want to read about him?" I answered back "You tell me he's evil but I want to make up my own mind"...

I was an eight year old kid who wanted to find out things for myself. My parents got called in to discuss my 'troubling' behaviour... wtf?:confused:

you must have missed the memo, you aren't allowed to think independently until Year 8 :tongue:
A toddler quite obviously hasn't got a clue what the KKK is so any kind of "praising" they do will just be repeating something someone said to them (most likely a mischievous older sibling) and pretty much the same goes for the 'n' word. If a toddler went around nursery using that kind of language then a normal teacher would probably want to have a word with the child's parents to let them know what's going on. That's fine. What we don't need is political leaders trying to create a massive terrorism scare by trying to act as if our toddlers are all at risk of becoming violent jihadists.

Would you be saying the same thing if there were large numbers of children repeatedly praising the KKK across the country? What about if many communities were forming in different places who were bringing up their children to be pro-KKK? Would you still be against any kind of government interference? Would you not be worried that much of the country was being brought up to believe in a racist ideology?
you must have missed the memo, you aren't allowed to think independently until Year 8 :tongue:

Haha, really? My school must have missed that memo then XD because in Year 8 we were just memorising GCSE textbooks... Oh, the joys of life :/
Original post by felamaslen
Would you be saying the same thing if there were large numbers of children repeatedly praising the KKK across the country? What about if many communities were forming in different places who were bringing up their children to be pro-KKK? Would you still be against any kind of government interference? Would you not be worried that much of the country was being brought up to believe in a racist ideology?

Firstly, there's aren't.

Secondly, there aren't.

You're getting worried about a fabricated crisis. I don't understand why people are getting so upset about this and I don't understand what's wrong with the regulations that are already in place. There's way too many silly legal frameworks in the teaching profession as it is. Let teachers to their jobs - I'd be much happier to trust teachers to make the right judgement in situations like these than politicians.
Firstly, there's aren't.

Secondly, there aren't.

You're getting worried about a fabricated crisis. I don't understand why people are getting so upset about this and I don't understand what's wrong with the regulations that are already in place. There's way too many silly legal frameworks in the teaching profession as it is. Let teachers to their jobs - I'd be much happier to trust teachers to make the right judgement in situations like these than politicians.

When you get things like supply teachers believing the Jews were behind 9/11 (as in my cousin's school), you should be worried.
Original post by felamaslen
When you get things like supply teachers believing the Jews were behind 9/11 (as in my cousin's school), you should be worried.

First of all, supply teachers are not teachers. Secondly, that's a problem with the professionalism of supply teachers (which is very different from the professionalism of teachers) and it really doesn't have a lot to do with this bill in parliament.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending