The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Clare College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I still haven't managed to decide between Cambridge and Imperial though - one of the major things is the music scene, which strikes me as majorly in London's favour. Is this true really?

ps, i'm a metalhead who also plays a little jazz on the side...looking for prospective people to jam with, LOL
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hello all you lovely friendly people.

I'm a second year historian at Clare, I also cox and do lots of sound engineering and other bits and pieces.

Any questions from soon-to-be freshers or anything, feel free to post or PM. :smile:
Reply 82
FadeToBlackout
Hello all you lovely friendly people.

I'm a second year historian at Clare, I also cox and do lots of sound engineering and other bits and pieces.

Any questions from soon-to-be freshers or anything, feel free to post or PM. :smile:

Hello :biggrin: Nice to speak to you knowing I may possibly be coming up.

So... how flexible is Clare on people who miss their offers by a grade or two?! :p:
Lidia
Hello :biggrin: Nice to speak to you knowing I may possibly be coming up.

So... how flexible is Clare on people who miss their offers by a grade or two?! :p:

Well, if they weren't I wouldn't be here now! (Got AAB and needed AAA)
Reply 84
FadeToBlackout
Well, if they weren't I wouldn't be here now! (Got AAB and needed AAA)

That's encouraging! I knew I should have dropped French... :frown: but I guess nothing's clear 'til August.
*ba-bump*

Clare is great.
*comes in camoflauge because she's not actually a clare-y person*

This is sort of a clare question... not really, but since i saw you here, i thought i'd ask...

FTB, were you by any chance responsible for the state in a picture i saw of a lighting rig (i think in clare cellars) that was held up almost entire with cable ties?!
groovy_moose
*comes in camoflauge because she's not actually a clare-y person*

This is sort of a clare question... not really, but since i saw you here, i thought i'd ask...

FTB, were you by any chance responsible for the state in a picture i saw of a lighting rig (i think in clare cellars) that was held up almost entire with cable ties?!

It wasn't held UP with cable ties. It had bits of lighting bracket bolted to the light fixtures in the ceiling. It stayed on itself; all the cable ties did was stop it wobbling. The whole rig comfortably took my weight, there was at least a 600% safety margin. 'Twas safe.

Did you enjoy the panto?
Hey did anyone else get there accommodation forms today? I did and there are like 10 different types to consider lol. I'm more concerned about the photograph that I'm gonna have to take and send off than the accommodation itself...:frown:
Reply 89
Duck and Cover
Hey did anyone else get there accommodation forms today? I did and there are like 10 different types to consider lol. I'm more concerned about the photograph that I'm gonna have to take and send off than the accommodation itself...:frown:

Haven't so far... will definitely be checking the post tomorrow though! Oooh, I'm excited. They want a passport photo... ?
Lidia
Haven't so far... will definitely be checking the post tomorrow though! Oooh, I'm excited. They want a passport photo... ?

Yeah I know its a horrible thought isn't it!! And according to the letter this would be the one that will be THE ONE lol, so it will be on your card thingy whatever it is hehe.
If you can afford it, a set in Mem. court is THE best accomodation you'll ever get. EVER. Unless you get the room on F staircase above the Thirkill room (in Old Court) which looks out over Kings and the backs. Or the room on either B or C staircase that's over the entrance to Old COurt and has original C17th Oriel windows. But these tempting delights await you in third year. Not me, my ballot number's not high enough...

Seriously, if you can take a good passport photo, do so. Mine was taken way back in 2003/4, and is now on my university card. It looks not a great deal like me. I'm green. It's strange!
Hehe, I think everyone will tick the box for sets :wink:! What about shared ensuite sets? If I'm being totally I don't think that would be too bad, but there's always the chance you'll be with a weirdo...:confused: lol!
Reply 93
The shared en-suite sets are pretty nice, although the smaller room of the two is definitely...small. If you can afford it though (they've thwacked prices up since I was a first year) then go for a proper set.
Reply 94
Duck and Cover
Yeah I know its a horrible thought isn't it!! And according to the letter this would be the one that will be THE ONE lol, so it will be on your card thingy whatever it is hehe.

I got my letter this morning! I have an OKish photo to give them... just hope my appearance doesn't alter massively between now and the autumn! I have to say that the sets sound nice... but I also liked the attic rooms I saw when I visited, and the low roof wouldn't matter, as I'm 5'0"...

I have a reading list too... and amusingly, it contains both the Metamorphoses and Horace's Odes, both of which I put in my PS. And I have an exam on Horace on Monday! :biggrin:
The attic rooms are nice.

My attic room (P15) in first year:

And my Colony Castle House room when I was moving in:

And when finally tidied:

It goes back a little bit further. AND there's a balcony outside which is the size of the room, nearly. :smile:
Reply 96
Thanks FadeToBlackout, those pics are really useful! I really like the look of the attic room. Good for small people. :smile:
Hehe I stayed in an attic on interview, totally THUMPED my head on a beam after looking out the window :frown:! I've been directed to the modern languages website to look for preliminary reading and stuff, I'll have a look in a min, but I think I remember looking at it before and it was about as long as the letter we just got from Clare :redface:!
Reply 98
Duck and Cover
Hehe I stayed in an attic on interview, totally THUMPED my head on a beam after looking out the window :frown:! I've been directed to the modern languages website to look for preliminary reading and stuff, I'll have a look in a min, but I think I remember looking at it before and it was about as long as the letter we just got from Clare :redface:!

Owchy, sounds painful! Well, guys tend to be taller... I have the feeling that most people in attic rooms will be female!

They certainly want you to prepare before coming up, don't they? Well, chin up - at least you don't have to read the Bible! :p:
Hehe well I need to bring with me French-English, French-French, German-English, German-German dictionaries so thats like...4 bibles!!

Some of the questions on the form are really weirdly worded, like "would you like a shared ensuite", yes or no? There's no box to tick if you dont maaaajorly want one but dont maaaajorly not want one!

Quick Reply

Latest