The Student Room Group

Physics, Theoretical Physics, or Maths+Physics

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to do.

A few months ago I sent off my UCAS application. All gravy, got offers from Warwick (A*AA) and UCL (AAB) for straight physics.

Since then, I've had some time to look over the course content and I'm not sure I want to do straight physics. UCL have a theoretical physics course which looks really nice, and Warwick's Maths+Physics course is also very appealing.

I feel like one of the reasons I don't especially enjoy the idea of doing straight physics is lab work. Never really liked it, and I'm not sure I ever will. Doing TP or M+P will get me out of most of it, which is very appealing indeed.

Another thing I feel like taking into consideration, however, is how much money a degree in each of those would make me in the future. As far as I'm aware, there's something of a consensus among scientists that Engineering is the best way to make money. While my degree probably won't be as big a factor as networking/connections and nepotism, I'd like to give myself the best chance possible.

I'm just a going boy who wants to make dolla. Help me TSR, you're my only hope.
Hey guys similar situation here I'm a re-applicant for mathematics yet to hear from UCL and Imperial. Holding a standard offer from Warwick. Likely to hear a rejection from Oxford tomorrow. I wanted to study Mathematics however the UCL Theoretical Physics course looks like a beauty similarly the Imperial Maths and financial maths looks very good and will defiantly hold in good regards to breaking into the financial sector. I'm soo lost.
Reply 2
Original post by Spirande
I have this exact problem myself, I firmed kings for theoretical physics but now really want to do m+p! I'm hoping they will let me change?
For general employability I think tp is good because you learn programming which is useful for it careers. But in terms of doing physics I guess there are more jobs in labs.

Lab work sucks. I like the point you raised about the programming knowledge, I think that might have swayed my decision. When I did A level computing I didn't like the programming, but I think that was because I wasn't well taught.

I suppose you're probably better off doing maths and physics, and just doing all the theoretical physics modules that are optional.
Reply 3
The differences between the 3 will really not be that great and will be held in similar regard by employers. I'd caution you to not choose a degree based on which one you think is going to make you more money in the future; that's just a terrible plan. Lab at uni will be quite different to how it is in school coz most of the experiments will actually work. It's definitely worth giving it a go to see if you like it better. The comment about learning programing is fair enough but in some universities, theorists do the same amount of computational stuff as experimentalists.
With regards to programming, I'm pretty sure you would study that in most science/engineering courses - all the physics and ee courses I've applied to include programming. The languages you learn may differ but I think C and/or Matlab are normally taught.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending