The Student Room Group

Do you think private schools over £10000-per-year should be abolished?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Why do you keep banging on about how insane the fees are? They merely reflect the cost of providing the service and making (in some cases only) a profit. State education costs very little less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/3090528/Cheaper-to-educate-a-child-privately-say-headteachers.html

Because, given most people's incomes, they are insane.

It's all fine for those of you whose parents are on 60/70/80k+ a year, but most people come from households with incomes less than half or even one third of that.

And telling parents to work harder and earn more is all good and that, but not when social mobility is as dead as it is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 61
I think it is unfair some people can shop in Selfridges and Fortnum & Mason but I can't afford it. They should be abolished.

Wealthier middle-class people shop in Waitrose, buying quality organic food. It is not fair poor children on sink estates get fed Findus Crispy Pancakes from Aldi. Waitrose should be abolished.

Rich people travel first class and arrive more relaxed and happier. Poor people can't afford to do that. There should be only one class on trains and aircraft.

etc.

What you're asking for is the abolition of capitalism. Just picking on one aspect of the education system is interfering with the market.
Original post by PimpsNChuds
Well let's see. We have the NHS, and exercise is something you can do for free (e.g. going for a run, playing football, doing pressups). There might be some truth to what you're saying about food (although I doubt you need things like lobster and cavier in your diet to get better grades) but this is really nothing compared to the insane fees private schools charge.

I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about the opportunities that some parents give to their children which others don't. Some children will always be disadvantaged due to the parents they were born to.
Original post by felamaslen
I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about the opportunities that some parents give to their children which others don't. Some children will always be disadvantaged due to the parents they were born to.

i dont agree with you mate.. lets talk in terms of my dad who went to a ****ty school in a village of india and then went to uni there (belive it or not the government would pay kids to join uni). Not showing off but my dad can easily afford to send me to such a school in the UK. Trust me its all about how hard you work and what your priorities are in life. At least he can say that he has made it! That is just one example of a man that i know really well. I'm pretty sure there are other celebs who didnt go to such posh schools but still made it waaay better in life than those who went to such posh schools and top top unis

someone once said: its not your fault if you born poor but its your fault if you die poor
this thread is like saying "i cannot afford these Nike Shoes so lets abolish them" "i cannot afford this food so we should ban them from being sold in restaurants" common OP grow your mind up. People have money let them spend. Use successful people in your life as inspirations to work hard so that one day you can live your dream!
Original post by Paras Agarwal
i dont agree with you mate.. lets talk in terms of my dad who went to a ****ty school in a village of india and then went to uni there (belive it or not the government would pay kids to join uni). Not showing off but my dad can easily afford to send me to such a school in the UK. Trust me its all about how hard you work and what your priorities are in life. At least he can say that he has made it! That is just one example of a man that i know really well. I'm pretty sure there are other celebs who didnt go to such posh schools but still made it waaay better in life than those who went to such posh schools and top top unis

someone once said: its not your fault if you born poor but its your fault if you die poor

I don't see how that in any way relates to what I was saying...
Reply 66
why would we destroy our best schools?

More grammar schools are needed alongside private and state schools
Original post by Paras Agarwal
this thread is like saying "i cannot afford these Nike Shoes so lets abolish them" "i cannot afford this food so we should ban them from being sold in restaurants" common OP grow your mind up. People have money let them spend. Use successful people in your life as inspirations to work hard so that one day you can live your dream!

Education is different to those things. It's not fair that people aren't given the same education from childhood. The people who can afford it always seem to be people who come from backgrounds whose parents could afford it. It's tedious.

Besides the highest achievers at top universities are often state-educated, which is more of a reason why private schools aren't necessary.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 68
Besides the highest achievers at top universities are often state-educated.
Hurrah! The end of the thread! You have defeated your own argument.

:tongue:
Original post by Simes
Hurrah! The end of the thread! You have defeated your own argument.

:tongue:

No, because what people who defend private schools always choose to ignore is that their existence enables mediocre rich kids to get into universities better than where they should be, which I think is something of a crime against people who are genuinely clever/driven but not rich, who should be taking those places over rich kids who aren't bright. I believe that's why people are really defending them, because they secretly know they or their kids are not naturally bright or disciplined enough to get As at a normal school.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, because what people who defend private schools always choose to ignore is that their existence enables mediocre rich kids to get into universities better than where they should be. I actually think it's something of a crime against people who are genuinely clever/driven but not rich. That's why people are really defending them, because they secretly know they or their kids are not naturally bright or hard-working enough to get As at a normal school.

And a good state school allows mediocre poor kids get into universities better than where they should be. Where they "should" be depends on their exams results, their exam results are largely based on how hard they work and their "natural" ability.
Reply 71
No, because what people who defend private schools always choose to ignore is that their existence enables mediocre rich kids to get into universities better than where they should be, which I think is something of a crime against people who are genuinely clever/driven but not rich, who should be taking those places over rich kids who aren't bright. I believe that's why people are really defending them, because they secretly know they or their kids are not naturally bright or disciplined enough to get As at a normal school.

This claim you constantly make that private schools allow mediocre rich children to attend better universities than they deserve is nothing but conjecture. Until you provide evidence to substantiate it, it is worthless and totally unconvincing.

Top universities are not run by fools, and they select students based on merit. If private schools are producing more than their fair share of successful applicants, it's not because they are deceiving universities into offering stupid pupils places, it is because they are good at what they do and that is producing well-educated, perfectly intelligent and capable individuals.

That is not to say that bright, underprivileged children are not arguably dealt a bad hand. However the black and white narrative you tell of some conspiracy by the spoilt, undeserving rich who are screwing over the honest, deserving poor is laughably simplistic, and frankly more harmful to society than anything the private schools are accused of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending