The Student Room Group

Arkwright Scholarships 2015

Is anyone applying for an Arkwright scholarship this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ruudiwolf
Is anyone applying for an Arkwright scholarship this year?

I'm taking you're applying? Best of luck, I was in your position two years ago :smile:
Reply 2
Yes I am. I just submitted the application form for endorsement from my teacher. Chlorophile, do you have any advice?
Original post by Dave1999
Yes I am. I just submitted the application form for endorsement from my teacher. Chlorophile, do you have any advice?

Last year when Arkwright was more fresh in my memory, I wrote up quite a lot of advice here which is probably still relevant. Basically, Section 1 of the exam is all about being creative and showing off problem-solving skills. Section 2 is all about coming up with a very well thought out and thorough solution to a problem.
Reply 4
Ah ok thankyou
Reply 5
Chlorophile, if I were to learn 3 pulley systems and 3 gear systems do you think this would be enough for the exam? Thank you for the pulley/gear link as it has been very helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
Last year when Arkwright was more fresh in my memory, I wrote up quite a lot of advice here which is probably still relevant. Basically, Section 1 of the exam is all about being creative and showing off problem-solving skills. Section 2 is all about coming up with a very well thought out and thorough solution to a problem.

The aptitude paper is the part I'm most worried about, especially as I thought not taking DT for GCSE (although I did enjoy it in KS3) would put me at a disadvantage, so thanks for the advice :smile: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ruudiwolf
The aptitude paper is the part I'm most worried about, especially as I thought not taking DT for GCSE (although I did enjoy it in KS3) would put me at a disadvantage, so thanks for the advice :smile: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck. As with all exams, the key is not to stress. I wasted about 20 minutes floundering at the start of my exam - do not do this! Also, don't feel that you have to start with section 1. I couldn't think of any creative ideas in the first section so I did section 2 first.
Chlorophile, if I were to learn 3 pulley systems and 3 gear systems do you think this would be enough for the exam? Thank you for the pulley/gear link as it has been very helpful.

I think the most important thing is to learn basic materials and adhesives to create a little toolbox (not a massive one, just a few) that you can draw from to make your Section 2 answer sound better. I think gear systems are probably more important, don't go overkill or anything, but do make sure you understand how gears work (gear chains in particular).
Reply 9
Thanks. When you say gear chains do you mean as in what would be on a bicycle?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks. When you say gear chains do you mean as in what would be on a bicycle?

That's one example, yeah (but to be clear, gear chains refer to a chain of gears that add up to magnify or reduce the rotational speed of an input wheel, NOT the physical chain that connects gears). They're commonly used in things like generators to change the speed of rotation.
OK so is that to do with gear ratios eg/ 1:2 would reduce the speed of rotation by half if the input gear was 1?
OK so is that to do with gear ratios eg/ 1:2 would reduce the speed of rotation by half if the input gear was 1?

Yeah, if the second gear has twice the number of teeth as the first then the angular velocity will be halved.
It doesn't seem like there's as many people doing it on here as there was in other years
Can angular velocity be measured in radians/second?

Yes, but you definitely wouldn't have to be that technical.
ah ok I just thought I would try throw in some maths to try to look better:smile:
I'm applying! I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get it but you never know unless you try, amirite?
Deadline for sending off the application to your teacher is tonight. Have you both sent it off? How did you think it went?
Reply 18
I'm just finishing off my application to submit it later tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK, what did you write about for your project?

Quick Reply

Latest