The Student Room Group

Additional Further Maths Modules?

Hey I was just wondering whether there's anybody that's doing additional further mathematics or has done it recently.

Did you do the full A-level or just 3 modules (AS), which modules?
Anyone done M5, M4? How hard is it? Say compared to M2?
How hard is S3, S4? Say compared to S2 and S1. (S2 is much easier than S1 :biggrin:)

Which modules are the easiest to self teach? Which ones would you recommend doing?

Good luck with AFM.
Reply 1
Original post by Placeboo123
Hey I was just wondering whether there's anybody that's doing additional further mathematics or has done it recently.

How hard is S3, S4? Say compared to S2 and S1. (S2 is much easier than S1 :biggrin:)

Which modules are the easiest to self teach? Which ones would you recommend doing?

Good luck with AFM.

comparative difficulty in EDEXCEL
got this in a seminar a while back ...

EDEXCEL A LEVEL UNITS.pdf
Original post by TeeEm
comparative difficulty in EDEXCEL
got this in a seminar a while back ...

EDEXCEL A LEVEL UNITS.pdf

Haha with decision mathematics not even deserving a spot hahaha :biggrin:
There's quite a bit to D2 though.
Reply 3
Haha with decision mathematics not even deserving a spot hahaha :biggrin:
There's quite a bit to D2 though.

I'm doing C1 / C2 / C3 / FP1 / M1 / M2 as the normal further maths/maths this year along with D1 / D2.

Next year I'll be doing C4 / FP2 / FP3 and 4 other modules, so hopefully will come out with 2 A levels and an AS. All depends whether I want to do more mechanics or stats or equally the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
I'm doing C1 / C2 / C3 / FP1 / M1 / M2 as the normal further maths/maths this year along with D1 / D2.

Next year I'll be doing C4 / FP2 / FP3 and 4 other modules, so hopefully will come out with 2 A levels and an AS. All depends whether I want to do more mechanics or stats or equally the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice, nice, we're doing FP3 this year which I cannot wait for! How are you finding core 3? If you've started it yet.
Reply 5
Nice, nice, we're doing FP3 this year which I cannot wait for! How are you finding core 3? If you've started it yet.

I thought our school didn't teach FP3 and then I would have done all the modules this year for an AS in AM, unfortunately they do :frown:

C3 isn't that bad tbh ATM. I've done the functions part of it but apparently it's the easiest. I'm more worried about the mechanics at the moment. What modules are you taking this year then overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
I thought our school didn't teach FP3 and then I would have done all the modules this year for an AS in AM, unfortunately they do :frown:

C3 isn't that bad tbh ATM. I've done the functions part of it but apparently it's the easiest. I'm more worried about the mechanics at the moment. What modules are you taking this year then overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mechanics is lovely, it gives you such a nice over view of the world we're living in.
I'll be doing c1,c2, m1, m2, s1, fp1, fp3 and possibly one more module for AFM.
Have you started M2 yet? I've found M2 to be probably easier than M1, no more tension yay!
Reply 7

Good luck with AFM.

I'm doing an AS in afm, and I'm not doing D2,S3 and S4. About halfway through M3 (self taught), though if I put my mind to it I can probably do a module a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trouty97
I'm doing an AS in afm, and I'm not doing D2,S3 and S4. About halfway through M3 (self taught), though if I put my mind to it I can probably do a module a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which modules have you decided to do for your AFM?
1 module a week is quite a challenge :biggrin:
Reply 9
Mechanics is lovely, it gives you such a nice over view of the world we're living in.
I'll be doing c1,c2, m1, m2, s1, fp1, fp3 and possibly one more module for AFM.
Have you started M2 yet? I've found M2 to be probably easier than M1, no more tension yay!

I haven't started M2 yet but just finishing of M1. Personally am not looking forward to moving to M2 :/ I'd much prefer to do stats tbh but oh well I will probably be doing mostly stats next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Which modules have you decided to do for your AFM?
1 module a week is quite a challenge :biggrin:

I will probably do M3,4 and 5 as my Afm modules. When I say one week per module, that is if I were pushed. Also, once you get to M4 and 5, the amount of content I the modules becomes minimal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will probably do M3,4 and 5 as my Afm modules. When I say one week per module, that is if I were pushed. Also, once you get to M4 and 5, the amount of content I the modules becomes minimal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you self teaching yourself all these mechanics modules? What grade are you looking to get in M3-5? :biggrin:
Reply 12
Are you self teaching yourself all these mechanics modules? What grade are you looking to get in M3-5? :biggrin:

I'm being taught M3 but the other two I'm self teaching. I would hope for A's, not too bothered about getting A stars in 4 and 5 because they won't count for anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm being taught M3 but the other two I'm self teaching. I would hope for A's, not too bothered about getting A stars in 4 and 5 because they won't count for anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you doing the full A-level or just AS? Any experiences with S3/4? or FP3?
Reply 14
Not doing the whole A level but I have just started fp3 as part of further maths. (not doing D2, S3 or 4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending