The Student Room Group

British Chinese people say racism against them is 'ignored'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30538929

This was the top story on my news feed from the BBC.

Half Chinese myself and yes, I can pretty much confirm the personal anecdotes on the article regarding people I know through family. Although I also think that middle eastern and south asian people are just as badly targeted. Only difference is that they are more vocal in their opposition to such a state of affairs.

Scroll to see replies

Hah I guess its true, thinking about it

:biggrin: friendly racism has always happened amongst my friends though so I'm used to being called all sorts

Can imagine others aren't though
Although i have heard people being racist by using offensive words to chinese people, i've never came across physical abuse. However, it happens to blacks, southern asians too. It is something that will never go away unfortunately, racism will always exist.
I tend to see chinese, korean, japanese people to laugh off offensive words, but that obviously doesn't apply to them all. Some of them find it really hurtful, which is understandable obv.
Reply 3
Original post by Jackasnacks
Hah I guess its true, thinking about it

:biggrin: friendly racism has always happened amongst my friends though so I'm used to being called all sorts

Can imagine others aren't though

Having a joke around is fine, it's banter if everyone just insults each other and there is no malice involved. It's when people start targeting minorities that it starts going wrong, e.g. EDL thugs and the like, skinheads, general troublemakers.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Having a joke around is fine, it's banter if everyone just insults each other and there is no malice involved. It's when people start targeting minorities that it starts going wrong, e.g. EDL thugs and the like, skinheads, general troublemakers.

Yeah I agree. Seen it happen a few times and the asians have a tendency to stay quiet
A sweeping generalisation but they hate getting into trouble - easier to just stay quiet
I don't find chink offensive but "chinaman" I do find offensive.
Half-Chinese myself and yup racism is certainly well and alive in UK.

The one and only time I ever was a victim of racism it was an old White lady on a bus in Oxford and she lashed out against me being Chinese.

Lucky for me, I knew how to stay calm and laugh it off. In fact I told the driver of the bus to just let it be when he wanted to kick the woman off the bus.

UK as a whole takes racism against negroes, south asians and muslims seriously but when it is to do with people from the far east it is mostly ignored, presumably it is also because as a minority they also tend to be more well-off and less likely to face discrimination in terms of employment or where there is it is usually positive discrimination.
I think what you're talking about here is actually anti-chinese sentiment.
Reply 8
Original post by Tom_Ford
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30538929

This was the top story on my news feed from the BBC.

Half Chinese myself and yes, I can pretty much confirm the personal anecdotes on the article regarding people I know through family. Although I also think that middle eastern and south asian people are just as badly targeted. Only difference is that they are more vocal in their opposition to such a state of affairs.

Not sure my example is good but look at the response to murder of Mi Gao Huang Chen in 2005 compared to that of say Stephen Lawrence.
Yeah I agree.

Have a friend, she's half white half chinese and her eyes gives it away. She's had harsh comments thrown at her.
Having been told I look like jackie chan a 100 times and even teachers mistaking me for other east asian students I think there is a cause for concern.
Original post by grassntai
Having been told I look like jackie chan a 100 times and even teachers mistaking me for other east asian students I think there is a cause for concern.

In all honesty, I think a lot of chinese people look quite similar. I don't mean offence when I say this but of course it must be frustrating when you're mistaken.
Reply 12
Original post by perfectsymbology
Racism used to mean racial superiority. If anything a lot of Chinese think they are superior to westerners.

Why do you say that? I've typically experienced the opposite to be true.
Kind of like British Chinese, British Indian and British Pakistani racism against other ethnic groups is ignored, but I suspect the lack of focus here is due to the fact that the racist sentiments aren't usually expressed in a language that would make a catchy headline for a British publication. Here's an extract from The Economist about a recently published book concerning Chinese expansion into Africa that reveals the native Chinese' attitude toward equality.

China's Second Continent
At the same time, many Chinese in Africa have intensely nationalist feelings, often expressed in crudely racist terms. They tend to stick together, perhaps even more tightly than other incomers in the past. They are wary of joint enterprises with Africans, except at the highest level, where presidents and generals come into play.

Africans are routinely derided by the ordinary Chinese, in virtually every country Mr French visits, as lazy and incompetent; “90% of Africans are thieves,” says a leading entrepreneur in Namibia. In Liberia a Chinese hotelier explains that his compatriots generally bring their own towels for fear of using one previously used by hei ren (“black people”) as they are lumpenly known.
Reply 14
Original post by Tbx
Not sure my example is good but look at the response to murder of Mi Gao Huang Chen in 2005 compared to that of say Stephen Lawrence.

The police and justice system do not give a **** about the British Chinese:

In May 2011 Sankey had his sentence reduced to eight years and six months.

Whereas with Lawrence there were tribute concerts and all of that remembrance stuff.
Reply 15
My cousin is half-Chinese (other half is Cambodian - we're primarily a Cambodian family) and she's been called a chink before, along with other racist insults. Personally I find the word offensive and I don't think racism should be used in any form. People can start using 'banter' as an excuse for saying racist things (this happened recently in my school's end-of-year talent show) so I think it's best just to nip it in the bud before things could start to go wrong. The amount of times I've been assumed to be Chinese is also endless.
Original post by I Procrastinate
Although i have heard people being racist by using offensive words to chinese people, i've never came across physical abuse.

In Nottingham the Chinese Nottingham Uni community is huge, Beeston is practically China town haha, a plus for me as it means more oriental food shops opening up...mmm.

But there is a fair bit of racist talk, I'd say its more hush hush than other ethnicities may feel they experience,, but the use of "Chinks, chinkies" in an offensive fashion isn't that uncommon. Also was walking home once at night when a gang of youths walking/cycling (mixture) past me, I thought I was going to get some grief or worse, but ahead a Chinese student is walking our way and as they move by me on the pavement one says to another "oi watch me deck this chinky" and he just punched him square in the nose, floored him. In fairness his friends seemed more horrified than amused and all legged it called him a ****** idiot, but still.
Original post by joey11223
In Nottingham the Chinese Nottingham Uni community is huge, Beeston is practically China town haha, a plus for me as it means more oriental food shops opening up...mmm.

But there is a fair bit of racist talk, I'd say its more hush hush than other ethnicities may feel they experience,, but the use of "Chinks, chinkies" in an offensive fashion isn't that uncommon. Also was walking home once at night when a gang of youths walking/cycling (mixture) past me, I thought I was going to get some grief or worse, but ahead a Chinese student is walking our way and as they move by me on the pavement one says to another "oi watch me deck this chinky" and he just punched him square in the nose, floored him. In fairness his friends seemed more horrified than amused and all legged it called him a ****** idiot, but still.

Haha, that must be fun. I remember when i went to this place in which the community was filled with south asians (i'm south asian) and it felt so awkward, everywhere i turned i saw an asian :tongue: i'm used to seeing more whites.

That's disgusting.

People should not have to live in fear because of their race, or even religion.

I don't know how people can hate the chinese/japanese/korean community. Just look at Exo (the kpop group), NigaHiga, or a bunch of chubby asian babies, so adorbs. :penguinhug:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
It's a well known fact that British people are racist as ****. They either display it physically or keep it within their heads.
Original post by Dexa
It's a well known fact that British people are racist as ****. They either display it physically or keep it within their heads.

"They're racist, and if they're not, they're racist!"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending