The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy Pre-Reg Msc 2015

Hiya,

I've applied to London South Bank Uni and Cumbria Uni for the Msc in OT. I was just wondering if any one had heard from London London SouthBank yet? I'm getting anxious..
Also, does any one else have an interview at Cumbria Uni this month? My interview is on the 21st.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I had a reply from London South Bank today. Have you received your reply??
Reply 2
Yeah I didn't get it :-( did you get an interview?
Reply 3
I just heard from LSBU today as well
Original post by HannahCM
I just heard from LSBU today as well

Hey, uh what sorta reply was it? like an offer or saying that they've got your application?
Reply 5
Sorry i should have explained that! They told me I have an interview on Feb 25th
Sorry i should have explained that! They told me I have an interview on Feb 25th

oh calm, nice one!
Reply 7
Hi Guys,

I have an interview for Cumbria on the 4th Feb. Excited I got an interview, wasn't expecting to hear back so soon :smile: I am travelling over from Ireland because it's quiet competitive to get a place in OT here. I would love to hear from anyone who has any interview tips? In particular the group task - Can anyone elaborate on what this might be? i'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 8
Hi Everyone :smile:

My second attempt this year to get a place on the Postgraduate Degree in OT ( pre -reg) after being placed on the waiting list and no place became available. However, things do happen for a reason. The last years experience of the interview itself was great as I know now what to prepare myself for :smile: ( I am hoping to get the interview). I am very much looking forward to hearing from the Uni I applied to ( I only have 1 option).

It is a very competitive course but with determination and hard work all is possible, at least I like to think that.

Good luck to those that got the interview from the first wave of applicants.
Reply 9
I have got a reply from LSBU as well and I am having an interview the 02nd of March, it would be good to know what the interview is like... If anyone is willing to give us some info about that would be perfect!
Original post by ATandOT
Hi Everyone :smile:

My second attempt this year to get a place on the Postgraduate Degree in OT ( pre -reg) after being placed on the waiting list and no place became available. However, things do happen for a reason. The last years experience of the interview itself was great as I know now what to prepare myself for :smile: ( I am hoping to get the interview). I am very much looking forward to hearing from the Uni I applied to ( I only have 1 option).

It is a very competitive course but with determination and hard work all is possible, at least I like to think that.

Good luck to those that got the interview from the first wave of applicants.

Hi would you mind to give us some clues about he interview please? What did they ask, setting etc etc
Thanks in advance!
Reply 11
Hi guys,

I've applied to Brunel and LSBU and have an interview for the latter on 26th Jan. If anyone has any prior experience of the interview day it'd be extremely helpful to hear about it!

TIA!
Original post by kelsing
Hi guys,

I've applied to Brunel and LSBU and have an interview for the latter on 26th Jan. If anyone has any prior experience of the interview day it'd be extremely helpful to hear about it!

TIA!

Congrats! Wow Jan 26th is very soon! Mine is Feb 25th for LSBU
Original post by twitty22
Hi Guys,

I have an interview for Cumbria on the 4th Feb. Excited I got an interview, wasn't expecting to hear back so soon :smile: I am travelling over from Ireland because it's quiet competitive to get a place in OT here. I would love to hear from anyone who has any interview tips? In particular the group task - Can anyone elaborate on what this might be? i'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks guys :smile:

I too have an interview on the 4th feb at Cumbria! I'm excited I got an interview too, it shows have a good enough application, right? Now it's down to us as people to show them we are what they're looking for. I have no idea about the group task myself, I don't imagine it'd be too hard or something, I imagine it'll be to see how we work as a team, can we problem solve with others, can we listen to ideas and make suggestions too. That's what I imagine they're looking for from the group stage.

The one to ones I have no idea what to expect at all! I'd love to hear some tips too.

I'm assuming you'll be moving over here if you get onto the course?

I'm travelling up the night before, I finish work and luckily Habe the 4th off otherwise I'd have to change my interview date due to being a support worker it means I can't upset the lads I work with routine and cause changes to there schedule.

Where else have you all applied too? Good luck all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also out of interest, what do you guys currently do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimbles
Also out of interest, what do you guys currently do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I graduated with a degree in physiology in October. I've spent the last few months volunteering and getting as much shadowing as possible. I also volunteer 3 days a week as a classroom assistant in a rehabillitative training programme for adults with strokes/TBIs, it includes workshops such as cooking, computer skills, money management etc, I love it!
What about you?
I graduated with a degree in physiology in October. I've spent the last few months volunteering and getting as much shadowing as possible. I also volunteer 3 days a week as a classroom assistant in a rehabillitative training programme for adults with strokes/TBIs, it includes workshops such as cooking, computer skills, money management etc, I love it!
What about you?

I graduated with a degree in sport science in June. I only heard about OT in my final year and realised that's what I want to do! I'm currently working as a support work working with a group of lads with learning disabilities who live together and supporting them in daily lives. All three Have different levels of mental and physical capability so it's teaching me a lot about adaptation, how some things that seem easy to us are hard, etc. I've also met with an OT who works at a boarding school for children with learning disabilities and she's made me want to do it even more! We are in the process of trying to get me some shadowing with her. I also worked with a couple of children with autism at a summer camp.

That's all the experience I have, it's not a lot so I am kind of worried on that front!

Where have you applied? I'm also struggling to find other males applying for the course too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Great to hear from ye guys! :wink: Well, I come from an unrelated degree in Business and I somehow managed to get an interview so happy days. In saying that, I hear they accept people from all walks of life who have different experiences, skills etc. I have done the typical run of the mill type stuff such as OT visits in Mental Health/Acute/Intellectual Disabilities. I am working shadowing an OT in an intellectual setting on and off for the past few months, so that definitely has given me a good insight into the role, but hey OT is so vast and in another setting the role can be completely different. I have a lot of experience in volunteer work with GAA football coaching and different things which is all good for skill building etc. It's extremelyyyyy difficult to get work shadowing with an OT here in Ireland because hospitals are under so much pressure and jobs are very few and far between in any area of healthcare/social care at the minute so that's why I'm looking to UK. I applied to Derby, QMU, Cumbria, Brunel, Brighton. Jumbles - Where else did u apply to?? Are there a lot of places on the course in Cumbria?? I actually got an unconditional offer from QMU today, does anyone know anything about that course/university???
Original post by twitty22
Great to hear from ye guys! :wink: Well, I come from an unrelated degree in Business and I somehow managed to get an interview so happy days. In saying that, I hear they accept people from all walks of life who have different experiences, skills etc. I have done the typical run of the mill type stuff such as OT visits in Mental Health/Acute/Intellectual Disabilities. I am working shadowing an OT in an intellectual setting on and off for the past few months, so that definitely has given me a good insight into the role, but hey OT is so vast and in another setting the role can be completely different. I have a lot of experience in volunteer work with GAA football coaching and different things which is all good for skill building etc. It's extremelyyyyy difficult to get work shadowing with an OT here in Ireland because hospitals are under so much pressure and jobs are very few and far between in any area of healthcare/social care at the minute so that's why I'm looking to UK. I applied to Derby, QMU, Cumbria, Brunel, Brighton. Jumbles - Where else did u apply to?? Are there a lot of places on the course in Cumbria?? I actually got an unconditional offer from QMU today, does anyone know anything about that course/university???

Wow. You have a lot of experience with OTs right there! That's the only bit I'm really, really worried about is I won't have had a chance to shadow an OT by the interview!

I've applied to Cumbria, Brunel and Northumbria so far. I'm also going to be applying to Sheffield and teeside. I missed the deadline for Derby due to working crazy hours over Christmas 😔 I have no idea about how many places are available at Teeside!

What are your plans for the interview? I'm driving up the day before as I live 4 hour drive away, then I'm gonna stay in a cheap hotel which is just a 5 minute drive from the campus for the interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimbles
I graduated with a degree in sport science in June. I only heard about OT in my final year and realised that's what I want to do! I'm currently working as a support work working with a group of lads with learning disabilities who live together and supporting them in daily lives. All three Have different levels of mental and physical capability so it's teaching me a lot about adaptation, how some things that seem easy to us are hard, etc. I've also met with an OT who works at a boarding school for children with learning disabilities and she's made me want to do it even more! We are in the process of trying to get me some shadowing with her. I also worked with a couple of children with autism at a summer camp.

That's all the experience I have, it's not a lot so I am kind of worried on that front!

Where have you applied? I'm also struggling to find other males applying for the course too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds like both your course and the work you're doing are very relevant to OT. They seem to really look for a mix of people with different background/experience too which is good.
I've visited a few different OT departments and it's safe to say that men are definitely in the minority! Could work to your advantage though I'd say!

Quick Reply