The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is british culture so awful compared to the rest of europe?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by xylas
Mate you're gonna have a hard time with that argument now that you've listed 3 nice cities in the UK. I challenge you to do that with Portugal...

And in answer to your question. Reading, Bristol and Bath are nice, so is most the South West of England: Dorset, Somerset, Cornwall elc. have you ever been?

Midlands and upwards is generally unpleasant. So maybe 70% of England in that case. I assure you 70% of Portugal is not like that.
Original post by Dexa
I visited southern portugal over the holidays and even though the country is not as developed as britain i noticed the people over there were very dignified and civilised. and i've noticed this in other european countries i've visited such as denmark, germany and italy.

ladies dress fashionably yet modestly, unlike here. they don't look like they've woken up and slapped on a massive amount of makeup while putting on a duckface. you won't see men wearing tracksuits and trainers, people actually look smart and put an effort in how they look.

Also there are no chavs to be seen anywhere. you don't get little nobheads going around in bikes, or a group of youths causing havoc in the town centre. the streets are impeccably clean, people value the ground they walk on and give it care.

i came back to the uk and felt sick at what i saw on my return. from the people to the state of the cities, and british culture in general, i long to finally emigrate from this place. and before someone criticises me for generalising, i do happen to look at this from a general point of view. generally british culture is a lot more awful and disgusting than the rest of europe.

What do you define as British culture? That seen on Midsummer murders, small little tea rooms, reductive fashion? Simple Georgian elegance? Old people wearing straw hats, eating scones, straw hats?

Or do you mean British pop culture?

What culture do you mean?
Original post by Dexa
I visited southern portugal over the holidays and even though the country is not as developed as britain i noticed the people over there were very dignified and civilised. and i've noticed this in other european countries i've visited such as denmark, germany and italy.

ladies dress fashionably yet modestly, unlike here. they don't look like they've woken up and slapped on a massive amount of makeup while putting on a duckface. you won't see men wearing tracksuits and trainers, people actually look smart and put an effort in how they look.

Also there are no chavs to be seen anywhere. you don't get little nobheads going around in bikes, or a group of youths causing havoc in the town centre. the streets are impeccably clean, people value the ground they walk on and give it care.

i came back to the uk and felt sick at what i saw on my return. from the people to the state of the cities, and british culture in general, i long to finally emigrate from this place. and before someone criticises me for generalising, i do happen to look at this from a general point of view. generally british culture is a lot more awful and disgusting than the rest of europe.

Umm I have lived in France and all those things apply if you are in the right areas. You're probably just seeing the parts of places where people dress better than other areas. In other words avoiding the places you'd only see if you lived there and weren't just visiting. The only things that are slightly less in France for example are binge drinking and heavy makeup. But then they have more smoking and more open racism there. Also their admin system is awful. There are pros and cons to every European country but you tend to just sees the pros when you visit.
Original post by Dexa
Midlands and upwards is generally unpleasant. So maybe 70% of England in that case. I assure you 70% of Portugal is not like that.

York and Durham are the only two pleasant Northern cities in England.
Reply 25
Original post by Uncouth body
What do you define as British culture? That seen on Midsummer murders, small little tea rooms, reductive fashion? Simple Georgian elegance? Old people wearing straw hats, eating scones, straw hats?

Or do you mean British pop culture?

What culture do you mean?

You are living in a Dickens tale if you believe British culture to be defined as above. It probably applies to less than 2% of the population.

I'm talking about new age British culture that we see around us today.
Original post by Evening
If you don't like it then **** off. One less mouth to feed.

Or OP is feeding his own mouth, and paying tax to feed others too?

Original post by Dexa
You are living in a Dickens tale if you believe British culture to be defined as above. It probably applies to less than 2% of the population.

I'm talking about new age British culture that we see around us today.

What do you define as new age British culture?
Why has no one mentioned Edinburgh as a nice UK city? Has York been suggested? Leeds also looks like it has a pleasing city centre and Manchester isn't unpleasant apart from Picadilly Gardens and the Arndale.

OP, I was in southern Portugal (Faro) for a month over the summer, and a lot of the city looked like sh*t. This was despite the sun which usually makes things look better. Half the buildings seemed to have plaster peeling off the walls, which is something I've not seen in the UK.

Cities tend to look "nice" as a result of being historical centres of power, wealth, religion and culture. When all these things are concentrated around one megacity like in the UK, other population centres will only grow as a result of industry which tends to make them quite ugly.
Original post by Dexa

lol. Appreciate the diversity I guess. Get on with your business, and stop moaning about others. Instead, moan about the weather. Something we British people love yapping on about.
Reply 30
Original post by Uncouth body
What do you define as new age British culture?

binge drinking, obesity, low social standards, mass immigration.
Obviously foreign holiday destinations will always seem nice compared to a place you've seen the worst of for years, every country has problems but "modesty" is hardly one, South Mediterranean countries have tons of nudist beach! Are you for real haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JuliusDS92
Why has no one mentioned Edinburgh as a nice UK city? Has York been suggested? Leeds also looks like it has a pleasing city centre and Manchester isn't unpleasant apart from Picadilly Gardens and the Arndale.

OP, I was in southern Portugal (Faro) for a month over the summer, and a lot of the city looked like sh*t. This was despite the sun which usually makes things look better. Half the buildings seemed to have plaster peeling off the walls, which is something I've not seen in the UK.

Cities tend to look "nice" as a result of being historical centres of power, wealth, religion and culture. When all these things are concentrated around one megacity like in the UK, other population centres will only grow as a result of industry which tends to make them quite ugly.

If you read my post correctly, you'd notice that I said 'in England'. Edinburgh is in Scotland.

'Plaster peeling of the walls' is all part of the rustic charm starting in France. It's all part of that antiquated European style.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by JuliusDS92

You're talking out of your ass if you think Leeds city centre looks pleasing (I'm from there).

Yeah I went to Faro too. The buildings aren't posh but the general state of the place wasn't filled with rubbish and people were nice to look at. If you went to the nearby towns like Albufeira and other towns in the Algarve they are generally very clean and quaint.
Reply 34
Original post by grassntai
You're just validating the OP's message.

Not really. If they don't enjoy being British then get out of the country and stop moaning about how terrible we all are. They even admit they generalise the UK, and if all they're going to do is generalise 60+ million people then they don't deserve to live here.
Original post by Dexa
You're talking out of your ass if you think Leeds city centre looks pleasing (I'm from there).

Yeah I went to Faro too. The buildings aren't posh but the general state of the place wasn't filled with rubbish and people were nice to look at. If you went to the nearby towns like Albufeira and other towns in the Algarve they are generally very clean and quaint.

Generally, the people will be nicer to look at. That aesthetic Mediterranean gene fermenting in the warm Sunlight makes anyone's skin radiant. Their diet is also different. A lot of fish, oils and probably home grown food. Also, they're probably all rich, which means they'll have their own personal trainer, nutritionist and buy the best food. Good genes run in their families. There's a lot less people, which means less strain on public services, less pollution etc....
Original post by Dexa
europeans have hardly anything positive to say about britain in my experience. if it wasn't for london, they wouldn't go near the uk with a barge pole.

Eh? Londons a ****hole
Reply 37
Original post by TheWaffle
Umm I have lived in France and all those things apply if you are in the right areas. You're probably just seeing the parts of places where people dress better than other areas. In other words avoiding the places you'd only see if you lived there and weren't just visiting. The only things that are slightly less in France for example are binge drinking and heavy makeup. But then they have more smoking and more open racism there. Also their admin system is awful. There are pros and cons to every European country but you tend to just sees the pros when you visit.

Yeah I lived in Lille and the city is pretty ****ty. Op probably just went to tourist areas in Portugal.:rolleyes:
Reply 38
Original post by Zander01
Eh? Londons a ****hole

When I mean London I mean Big Ben, Oxford St, Buckingham Palace...basically what Europeans think "London" is...
Original post by Rumschpringe
I think the main difference in British culture compared to the rest of Europe is the drinking culture. The youth here base their social lives around going to clubs and getting absolutely plastered, whereas overseas it's focused more on food and company. Unfortunately English tourists have a bit of a bad reputation In Spain- native spaniards think they drink too much.
Not that there's anything wrong with either- both are perfectly fun. But obviously different social culture etc leads to different mannerisms of dress and behaviour.

I agree with this. I went to a Uni flat party before and it was about half Scottish people, half spanish people. The Scots just drank constantly until it was time to go to the club whereas the Spanish people were just constantly dancing.

Obviously I couldn't have joined them because I'd have looked like a demented duck in comparison

Latest

Trending

Trending