The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Literacy & numeracy assessment?

Hi guys i was wondering if i should revise for my an assessment
Or if i should remain calm as city university has invited me to do an assessment?

Scroll to see replies

Hi ^_^

When do you have your assessment and what course?

It's best to revise before the assessment just to make sure you are confident on the topics that will come up in the tests.

All the best!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Awh thanks for replying. Thing is iv already had my assessment and it was fir child nursing so i had a numeracy and literacy test but it was multiple choice so it wasn't too scary, now just waiting on results :smile:
Reply 3
Hey! I haven't heard anything either and I applied for Adult Nursing. My assessment was on the 7th. Hopefully we should hear something this coming week! Fingers crossed :biggrin: If you don't mind me asking, how did you find the aptitude test? I wasn't expecting that at all! :eek:
(edited 8 years ago)
That's really good :biggrin: I hope you get through to the interview ^_^!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi guys, umm the assesment was okay, however, unfortunately i was declined because i was a few mark away from passing the literacy test but i did pass the maths test which was a suprise to me as maths is my weakest subject. both tests were multiple choice then at the end of the literacy test there was a question saying 'what do you think are the key roles of a nurse?' i think that put my grades down as i was trying to write a lot in short time. i hope this respond help you and i wich you luck in getting an offer. greenwich have also declined now i am waiting for, southbank, kings and middlsex :smile:
Reply 6
babyshawte DianaOj
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I am in a very similar situation to yours.

Sorry to about the rejection from Greenwich and City :frown:
I too was unsuccessful at City because of my maths. Which I am extremely shocked about. I was so scared about my english and thought I sliced through the maths questions :P ... But it is what it is.

Have you been to the assessments for your other three choices? I also applied to LSBU and King's.

All the best of luck for your other university choices!! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I did my city test today, and hearing the bad news for you makes me feel nervous :frown:. I'm sorry that you didn't get through.

You've applied to the same universities as me as well!! You will definitely be fine with the middlesex test :biggrin:!!! king's test was ok, but I failed the numeracy by 2 marks and southbank's test was just hard so I knew I wasn't going to get through lol. I haven't done Greenwich yet.

My friend had a similar issue with the literacy test at city as well, but I hope that you do get a place in university.

You have three more to go!!! ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by babyshawte
and southbank's test was just hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind telling me how the south bank assessment day went? What were the test like?

Sorry about kings and LSBU and major good luck for Greenwich & City
Do they actually grade the last question on the literacy test? The question I got was "why do you want to study this course?" It's the same as saying "why do you want to study adult nursing?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DianaOj
Do you mind telling me how the south bank assessment day went? What were the test like?

Sorry about kings and LSBU and major good luck for Greenwich & City

Southbank was the first test that I did in November, and it was horrible experience.

First, we have to wait at reception then we go up to the room to undertake the exam. They make us do the maths test first, and if you don't pass it, then you get sent home.

Maths test is 20 minutes to answer 10 questions, which you need to get 6/10.

There is also no calculator, which makes it even more difficult lol.

After you complete the test, you wait outside for 15 minutes whiles they mark the papers. Then everyone gets called back in and the examiners starts to eliminate those who have failed the test by calling their names and told to wait outside. (Make sure they don't call your name out as it's bad news!!!)

Then they take the ones who have failed into another room to lecture them and to explain where they went wrong.

The others who weren't called stayed to do the English test.

Maths isn't my strongest subject, so I knew I was going to fail. (The questions were hard for me)

Eventually, I passed the middlesex test 3 weeks after and now have an interview with them on Monday.

When one uni rejects you, another will accept you. Always try harder and learn from the mistakes.

Thank you ^_^, king's and lsbu were my firm and insurance, but hopefully it works out for the other remaining universities.

Good luck to you as well! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys,

City didn't work out. I was 3 marks off maths and 2 marks off English.

I'm going to firm middlesex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by babyshawte
Hi Guys,

City didn't work out. I was 3 marks off maths and 2 marks off English.

I'm going to firm middlesex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I have my assessment for City tomorrow. What advice would you give me? It is my first assessment so I am pretty nervous especially with the essay writing task :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hi everyone, anyone else had an offer from City?
Passed my literacy and numeracy tests, and passed the interviews and got an offer this week :smile:
Good to hear if anyone else got an offer!
I have an interview with city next conimg week . Can you brief abt ur selection day
Reply 16
Original post by Gold2015
I have an interview with city next conimg week . Can you brief abt ur selection day

Hi there, I attended the selection day on Monday 12th and got an offer to study Adult Nursing the following Monday! The selection day was fine, there was an hours presentation about the course (where we were told there were a few THOUSAND applicants, and only 95 places!), then we had a group interview. This was an hour long. We were told to speak to the person next to us for ten minutes and learn about them, what they're studying, where they live, their hobbies etc, and then we had to report back on what we had learnt about that person to the rest of the group. The assessors were testing our listening and communication skills. Then, we were taken to a computer room where we did a Cambridge Aptitude Test, which took about half an hour. This was just multiple choice questions that best described what you would do in different situations, no need to revise or worry about this. Then there was a quick tour of the campus for those who hadn't seen it before, and that was that! Got my offer a week later
There is no individual interview, which is nice!
Honestly, there is nothing to worry about, you will be fine. Any other questions, just ask.
Good luck!!
Reply 17
Original post by Wheezy
Hi there, I attended the selection day on Monday 12th and got an offer to study Adult Nursing the following Monday! The selection day was fine, there was an hours presentation about the course (where we were told there were a few THOUSAND applicants, and only 95 places!), then we had a group interview. This was an hour long. We were told to speak to the person next to us for ten minutes and learn about them, what they're studying, where they live, their hobbies etc, and then we had to report back on what we had learnt about that person to the rest of the group. The assessors were testing our listening and communication skills. Then, we were taken to a computer room where we did a Cambridge Aptitude Test, which took about half an hour. This was just multiple choice questions that best described what you would do in different situations, no need to revise or worry about this. Then there was a quick tour of the campus for those who hadn't seen it before, and that was that! Got my offer a week later
There is no individual interview, which is nice!
Honestly, there is nothing to worry about, you will be fine. Any other questions, just ask.
Good luck!!

hiya, i was wondering how long did you have to wait to know whether youve passed or not?
ive done my test yestreday. soo nervous.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone :smile: I am currently a first year child nursing student at City. If you have any questions about the university in general/the course/the assessment or interview day, I would be happy to answer them! Good luck everyone!
Reply 19
keele university replied back to me, I have to do a assessment and i have an interview on the same day. the maths test is without a calculator. what sort of questions come up on the assesment? NEED HELP PLEASE :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending