The Student Room Group

Are we all equal?

Alright, sod the feminism threads, let's get down to brass tacks.

Are all people equal? This no doubt came from Christian universalism, which is why it's typically Europeans who get that sense of "white guilt" when their circumstances appear disproportionately greater than a minority in another country, or even the same one.

In the eyes of God, the soul of each human being is equal in value, but this has been stretched by many to believe we're equal in all ways. This was a clear rejection of Judaism's favouritist approach, where non-Jews were merely slaves and subhuman. Obviously, we were right to reject this.

However, we're not physically equal, nor mentally, nor do we all experience the same or solve problems the same. So when people claim to demand "equality"- what are they asking for? Whenever we adjust our society to become more "free", people continue to claim that the only reason certain groups struggle more than others is due to oppression and institutional racism. So, what is it?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I always wonder what they mean when they say "equality". You're right, people are not equal.

I believe everyone should have equal human rights / rights under the law (not violent criminals to an extent) but we must accept everyone is not equal in ability and let's be honest, worth to society.
Lol. We are not all equal. Those feminists have been lying to the world.. They have been trying to find a circle that looks like a square. They failed. And they will always fail. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HigherMinion
Alright, sod the feminism threads, let's get down to brass tacks.

Are all people equal? This no doubt came from Christian universalism, which is why it's typically Europeans who get that sense of "white guilt" when their circumstances appear disproportionately greater than a minority in another country, or even the same one.

In the eyes of God, the soul of each human being is equal in value, but this has been stretched by many to believe we're equal in all ways. This was a clear rejection of Judaism's favouritist approach, where non-Jews were merely slaves and subhuman. Obviously, we were right to reject this.

However, we're not physically equal, nor mentally, nor do we all experience the same or solve problems the same. So when people claim to demand "equality"- what are they asking for? Whenever we adjust our society to become more "free", people continue to claim that the only reason certain groups struggle more than others is due to oppression and institutional racism. So, what is it?

I agree with everything you said other than the Judaic bull****.
Original post by ProudEnglishman
I agree with everything you said other than the Judaic bull****.

It could easily be argued that the spread of Christianity was a deliberate method of controlling the Goyim population through this notion of equality, which fosters in-fighting and guilt when we realise there is an apparent discrimination. The fact that "God made man in his own image" produces issues when we live in a multi-ethnic society: what does God look like? Well, Jesus was a Semite/Jew, so he looked nothing like us.

I know you long for the Pagan days once more, from your other posts. What would you like to see change in the spiritual methods and beliefs of the British?
Quality

Not e-quality.
There is still quite a lot of discrimination that is affecting equality, for example homosexuality being frowned upon to the extent that gay people are sometimes refused the right to live, or women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia etc. There is inequality, we should abolish it as people deserve to be equal (obviously not to a communist extent, I'm not delusional).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Username unknown
There is still quite a lot of discrimination that is affecting equality, for example homosexuality being frowned upon to the extent that gay people are sometimes refused the right to live, or women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia etc. There is inequality, we should abolish it as people deserve to be equal (obviously not to a communist extent, I'm not delusional).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Such unproblamatic miniscule issues
Original post by Blue_Mason
Such unproblamatic miniscule issues

Sarcasm? I know they're not minuscule or unproblematic, in my opinion getting rid of discrimination should be one of humanity's prioritised goals. What are you trying to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It could easily be argued that the spread of Christianity was a deliberate method of controlling the Goyim population through this notion of equality, which fosters in-fighting and guilt when we realise there is an apparent discrimination. The fact that "God made man in his own image" produces issues when we live in a multi-ethnic society: what does God look like? Well, Jesus was a Semite/Jew, so he looked nothing like us.

I know you long for the Pagan days once more, from your other posts. What would you like to see change in the spiritual methods and beliefs of the British?

Oy vey. :wink:

I personally cannot rationalise the belief in any gods or goddesses (however, can understand them as good characters, archetypes, and natural and societal metaphors), but I do take a great fancy for Odin/Oden/Óðinn/Woden/Wodan/WóðanaR/Wódanaz; Tolkien's character of Gandalf was based upon him (his very name even is that of a dwarf in Norse mythology). I greatly admire the Norse poetry which details their mythology and would fain see it raised to a similar level of interest as that of Shakespeare in our society; that and the numerous works of Anglo-Saxon poetry; Tolkien's works too, mind you. There's something beautifully humble and folkish about it all.

So, if anything, my appreciation of European Paganism is purely æsthetical; in terms of the literature, art and music that it wrought.

This is rather oft quoted, Hávamál 77, but shows how Germanic Paganism has had a philosophical influence on me:

What can we learn from this stanza? Live an honourable life and make many children, and one's legacy shall live on in them and in one's deeds long after one's death. That is what I intend to do.

Our society is an uncultured one. It is in dire need, amongst many other things, of a folkish revival.
Only from the start. After that think about the variations of ability. That's the only way one should be judged - on whether or not they are or will be capable of doing something.
Yes some people are inferior maggots, the pussified liberal nanny state made this illusory concept of self esteem so that losers wouldn't go do anything silly and could latch onto the cringe of their special snowflake status rather than making use of their ****ty insignificant lives
Original post by skunkboy
Lol. We are not all equal. Those feminists have been lying to the world.. They have been trying to find a circle that looks like a square. They failed. And they will always fail. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Juuuuust a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down!

EDit: failing at life is not a gendered issue, there are losers of both sexes
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do people deserve to be equal?
Sarcasm? I know they're not minuscule or unproblematic, in my opinion getting rid of discrimination should be one of humanity's prioritised goals. What are you trying to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're hardly real issues that urgently need to be scoped.
True discrimination does need to be tackled but your examples were weak.
In our rawest form we are all equal. All humans are equal.
Reply 16
Gender should be equal. People shouldn't be discriminated against because they are a woman or a man (i.e woman not being paid the same wage as a man for the same job).

Same goes for sexuality or colour of skin (i.e a same sex couple shouldn't be prevented from marrying).
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec

How do you justify this position when all the evidence points to the contrary?
How do you justify this position when all the evidence points to the contrary?

It is my opinion on the subject.
Original post by DiddyDec

I would say, depending on how you define equal, this to be trivially false. For example, is somebody who is born with a mental illness (or other illness, changing words from now on as necessary) which limits their brain function to the level that we would legally define them as retarded and who is condemned to die by the age of 10 even with the help of medical professionals really equal to a hypothetical "perfect" person with a correctly operating, high functional mind, with a "perfect" physical form?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending