The Student Room Group

TSR Notification Email Settings: what should they be?!

Hi everyone,

A few people have said TSR sends out too many notification emails.

If you have an opinion on it, what do you think the default should be?

E.g. instant for quotes and PMs, daily round up for Watched threads? Or is instant for watched threads important too?

Thanks!
Jack
Well, for me it would be none. No emails whatsoever. For anything. And then an opt-in for a daily round-up. Not that I would use it, because I already can see which watched threads have new comments added when I log in, but it may be helpful for others.
Instant for any PM and quotes no matter how many emails you've previously received.

Then if this is possible, instant for anything on watched threads, but no more than 1 email per thread per day if you get what I mean - so for the super busy threads, instead of getting 30-60 emails/hour because of all new replies, you'd just get 1 each hour...
I'm not sure that I'd use this personally, but something to consider would be the ability to limit email notification of new posts on each watched thread to one between visits to the site. As for a feature that I'd definitely make use of, having notification emails for PMs and watched threads include the content of the message would be *very* helpful.

I know of other vB-based sites with both of these features, so presumably they wouldn't be overly difficult to implement.
Original post by mobbsy91
Instant for any PM and quotes no matter how many emails you've previously received.

Then if this is possible, instant for anything on watched threads, but no more than 1 email per thread per day if you get what I mean - so for the super busy threads, instead of getting 30-60 emails/hour because of all new replies, you'd just get 1 each hour...

Agreed, there are far too many watched thread emails, so I'm sure plenty of people just set up incoming email rules to hide them somewhere, and possibly miss out on other emails from TSR.

Possibly a summary email that looks similar to the "X posts by your friends today" but "X posts in your watched threads today".
Just too many emails in general but in particular the advertising ones from places like Aston University are extremely annoying and makes me feel a bit like TSR tried to be clever getting us to sign up to University Connect so they could pass my info on to uni's to advertise to me. Its even more annoying when I picked my choices 3 months ago :tongue:
I'm not sure exactly where the sweet spot would be, but a separate email for every reply in any thread you've ever commented in is definitely too far. There could at least be an option to reduce it only to when you're actually quoted or if you're the thread starter.

(...are there any email settings I've missed?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending