The Student Room Group

Help with improving grammar of articles

Short story:
How can make sure my grammar is perfect before submitting my assignments? I already proofread myself and get friends to check but I still get marked down.

Long story:
I'm doing physics, and one of my modules requires me to write articles in the style of different media (in the style of a blog, a physics magazine, and my current/last one is a newspaper article).

I don't proclaim to have the best grammar but throughout my degree I have never been told my grammar is ridiculously bad to the point of going down grades.

With this module I'm trying my best to hit A's but my last two grades were C and B. The only feedback I get is in the form of grammar/punctuation corrections (mostly putting comma signs here and there). To me, this seems highly preferential rather than actually correcting my grammar and punctuation.

Regardless, my last assignment is worth 55% of the module and I'm really worried about these little tics. Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure everything is perfect before I submit it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 00100101
Short story:
How can make sure my grammar is perfect before submitting my assignments? I already proofread myself and get friends to check but I still get marked down.

Long story:
I'm doing physics, and one of my modules requires me to write articles in the style of different media (in the style of a blog, a physics magazine, and my current/last one is a newspaper article).

I don't proclaim to have the best grammar but throughout my degree I have never been told my grammar is ridiculously bad to the point of going down grades.

With this module I'm trying my best to hit A's but my last two grades were C and B. The only feedback I get is in the form of grammar/punctuation corrections (mostly putting comma signs here and there). To me, this seems highly preferential rather than actually correcting my grammar and punctuation.

Regardless, my last assignment is worth 55% of the module and I'm really worried about these little tics. Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure everything is perfect before I submit it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which publication/s are you using as a template?

e.g. Economist, Times/Independent newspaper, CERN blogs etc.

It may be that your style-template sources are the problem?
Original post by 00100101
Short story:

Long story:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. Let's start with loosing the attitude. Your punctuation is absent without leave. You must accept constructive criticism. You are there to learn. So learn that as a scientist you can't write well... yet.
Try writing short sentences. One thought equals one phrase.
I know it sounds naff but one teacher told me that I lost a mark every time I used the word but. But but... Yeah. Avoiding the use of that word forced me to think about which word was appropriate. That helped.
Most importantly, write in the third person at all times. Easy fix. It made an enormous difference to my writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending