The Student Room Group

Is Higher English necessary?

I'm currently in S4 and studying Nat. 5 Computing, Chemistry, Modern Studies and English. I'm also taking Higher Maths and Physics.

I'm interested in studying computer science or maths at university, and am unsure whether to take higher English or Modern Studies next year. I think I'm on track for an A in Nat 5 English, but it's my weakest subject and am doubtful I will do well at Higher.

Is Higher English a requirement for university applications or would I be fine doing Modern Studies/Politics as I am stronger at it and enjoy it more?

Thanks.
At my school, Higher (or at least Int.2 - now Nat 5) English was a compulsory choice for all 5th years, until you passed really. From what I remember by looking at uni requirements for the courses I applied for (various media courses in Scotland), most if not all required/'preferred' Higher English, usually with at least a B.

It's your choice. Perhaps English in sixth year would be an option?
Reply 2
I think if I was going to do it I'd rather get it over and done with next year, but thanks for the advice. I'll definitely consider it though, as any edge I could have in applications would certainly be welcome.
Reply 3
I myself am in fifth year at the moment. There is 4 people in my year including myself who did not take higher English, many of them smart people. I got 8 A's at N5, one of them being N5 English. I would of coped with Higher English but I decided not to take it, for the sole reason, I don't enjoy the subject. Instead I took Geography and it has been great. Many universities including the likes of Strathclyde, Glasgow, probably Edinburgh but correct me if I'm wrong, and Glasgow Caledonia only require a c - pass at N5 English for computing and electrical engineering courses. One of the students which did not take Higher English in my year has received a conditional offer from Glasgow University for Software Engineering, depending on the results of his highers. So from me, I would say - do what YOU enjoy!

Best regards

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by JP298
I myself am in fifth year at the moment. There is 4 people in my year including myself who did not take higher English, many of them smart people. I got 8 A's at N5, one of them being N5 English. I would of coped with Higher English but I decided not to take it, for the sole reason, I don't enjoy the subject. Instead I took Geography and it has been great. Many universities including the likes of Strathclyde, Glasgow, probably Edinburgh but correct me if I'm wrong, and Glasgow Caledonia only require a c - pass at N5 English. One of the students which did not take Higher English in my year has received a conditional offer from Glasgow University for Software Engineering, depending on the results of his highers. So from me, I would say - do what YOU enjoy!

Best regards

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to consider it.
I don't recommend taking higher modern next year, some universities tend to look at it as a weak subject. The admissions officers I've spoken to have said as much. Higher English is a strong subject if you can get an A, however if you don't like it you'll be miserable. The jump in skill required is massive, much more than I anticipated, and I spent many nights crying over it.

It was my weakest subject in standard grade, I ended up getting a 2. For higher I got an A, but I saw a tutor who was wonderful and made me love the subject. English also requires a huge amount of your time to get through. You need notes, analysis, time to read, etc.

I'm taking Advanced Higher right now, predicted an A/B. It's a subject where, if you don't enjoy it, you will struggle because you'll be unwilling to put the work in.

If you want to you can go with modern instead because you'll probably enjoy it more. Generally speaking it's much easier to get an A in modern than in English. English is kind of crap like that. It's something which you either get or you don't, modern is much nicer because how you improve is much more obvious.

If the course you want to get into asks for Higher English you should send an email to admissions and ask if there is another English subject (ie essay subject) which will count in its place. History is generally a given, and it's also far easier to get a good grade in history as long as you know what you're doing. In English you never know what you're doing. The uni you want to get into might say modern is acceptable in place of English, but I would definitely email admissions where you think you'll apply to ASAP just to make sure.
I was in the same position as you last year. I got all A's at Nat 5, including english, but was considering taking spanish over english. My argument was that I simply detest english and I have a talent for learning foreign languages so why should I not take spanish. It seemed that spanish was the way to go and I nearly did it but my guidance teacher told me that I should take english because:
-Universities know its a hard subject and will give you more credit for it rather than subjects like spanish or modern studies. Put simply if two people got 5 A's in fifth year but one took spanish and the other english they would go for the english.
-Higher english is a staple subject and you have to admit kind of a basic skill for any educated person.
-She also said that (in my case I would have crashed higher spanish in fifth year instead of doing english) universities might question your abilities ie why did she not do the basic higher english? Is she not able to do it? And so took an easy subject? Then how will she cope with uni?
-Some universities prefer for applicants to have the most traditional subjects for that course (ie maths english chemistry physics biology for medicine) and then extra curricular stuff to make you stand out of the crowd.
-in an assembly she also said a very interesting thing. she said that your grades serve ONLY as a ticket to be able to APPLY to a course, your personal statement a ticket to INTERVIEW and your overall impression a ticket to an offer.

So do I regret taking english? So far no because I ended up with a really good teacher who is very passionate about her subject and inevitably it rubs off on people and I know that in the long run an A in english is gonna mean more and I am one of those people who are willing to stick it out for the greater good. Plus it turned out that higher spanish is very hard and it coincides with the higher french deadlines. However, I do have to say I am wholeheartedly dreading my english prelim in nine days and I still hate it.

If I were you I would try to think about the future....what would look better on your application? English, I would say. But the question is are you able to make it through another year of this horrible subject? If you think you will be able to do it regardless of your hatred then I would do english.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I've decided to stick it out, because I think after hearing all your points and looking at admission processes in more detail English will benefit me more, both in terms of applications and coursework at university.
Good luck then!
Reply 9
Original post by tinababy
Good luck then!

Thanks, and good luck with the prelims.
Original post by kieron4
I'm currently in S4 and studying Nat. 5 Computing, Chemistry, Modern Studies and English. I'm also taking Higher Maths and Physics.

I'm interested in studying computer science or maths at university, and am unsure whether to take higher English or Modern Studies next year. I think I'm on track for an A in Nat 5 English, but it's my weakest subject and am doubtful I will do well at Higher.

Is Higher English a requirement for university applications or would I be fine doing Modern Studies/Politics as I am stronger at it and enjoy it more?

Thanks.

It's not necessary at all unless you are applying for a course that specifically requires you to take it (e.g. English Lit!), but you should be fine for compsci/maths. I, along with a significant number of friends, did not take Higher English and we are all at university now.

In my opinion, the subject is complete utter *******s and a waste of time. Take whichever highers you are interested in. For compsci/maths, all you need is maths and physics (and other sciences will be helpful).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending