The Student Room Group

bath vs sheffield vs exeter vs nottingham?!

I've received all my offers to study French and Politics but I'm undecided on which to chose as my firm!
Obviously Bath and Exeter are the better of the 4 and Bath has the highest employability but I can't help thinking that I'd get a little bored spending 4 years there? I know its not the biggest place and the nightlife is quite limited which is a major downside for me as I love to go out and I like busy nightlife! I know Bristol is only 15 mins away though and I have family there, its a great city! I am leaning towards Sheffield (best for politics) for the social experience but it's not really on the same level as Bath in terms of academia!
I know I shouldn't just be basing it on nightlife but I think its such a big part of the uni experience and I don't want to miss out!
Can anyone tell me what the night life/ cost of living/ accommodation/ general standard of living is like in any of these places? much appreciated!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by georgiaclark750
I've received all my offers to study French and Politics but I'm undecided on which to chose as my firm!
Obviously Bath and Exeter are the better of the 4 and Bath has the highest employability but I can't help thinking that I'd get a little bored spending 4 years there? I know its not the biggest place and the nightlife is quite limited which is a major downside for me as I love to go out and I like busy nightlife! I know Bristol is only 15 mins away though and I have family there, its a great city! I am leaning towards Sheffield (best for politics) for the social experience but it's not really on the same level as Bath in terms of academia!
I know I shouldn't just be basing it on nightlife but I think its such a big part of the uni experience and I don't want to miss out!
Can anyone tell me what the night life/ cost of living/ accommodation/ general standard of living is like in any of these places? much appreciated!

Hi georgiaclark750,

Congratulations on your offer from Bath!
I'm a second year student (French and Spanish) so having lived in the city for two years I'll tell you what I've found living there.

With the nightlife, it's not actually as boring as everyone expects it to be! There's a good range of different clubs and there's a student night going on practically every night of the week. Then you have the club on campus that opens on Wednesday and Saturdays. In town, the clubs host different theme nights such as Indie night, Bump & Grind (90s R&B, etc.) so there's something for everyone. There's also loads of bars, restaurants that have student deals if you wanted more of a chilled night out.

Personally, I don't find the cost of living much different. It's as expected for a city. The university has provided advice on expected living costs here if you wanted to take a look.

The accommodation available at the university is of a really high standard and I really enjoyed my first year. All of the residences are close to each other, and they're all a five minute walk from the main teaching buildings. If you want to see pictures of the accommodation and the price range the university website is really helpful.

Accommodation for other years off campus is easily available. Oldfield is an area of the city that contains mainly student houses so it's easy to find a house and you'll also still be close to other students.

In general, Bath is a really nice place to live and it definitely doesn't get boring so don't worry about that!

If you have any other questions about Bath, the university or about the course feel free to quote me and I'd be happy to answer them.

Carly

Hia I'm deciding between Exeter and Bath for my firm for Politics. Where did you go to study in the end and was it the right choice/are you enjoying it? Thanks Xxxx
Reply 3

PLZ HELP ME AS U SEEM LIKE FRENCH GENUIS MY GCSE CA I NOT SURE IF GOOD PLZ CAN U CHECK

Mon école est la seule école privée dans le compté de Somerset avant il y avait une autre école cependant en raison de motifs finical, il a fermé. Puisque bon nombre de leurs élèves ont rejoint notre école. Alors maintentant , mon école est un éstablissement modern avec cent garçons et deux cents filles de cing à dix-huit ans auusi nous avons trente professeurs. J'ai presque oublie de mentionner qu'il est situé au centre-ville. Il y a cinquante salles de classe dont douze équipées d'un tableau blanc.L'école possède aussi une bibliothèque et beaucoup de laboratoires ainsi que une grande cantaine avec Une large gamme de repas et deux courts de netball et de basket-ball. Il n'y a jamais beacoup de clubs dans mon école juste le hockey, le football et le club de maths ! Je souhaite qu'un jour il y aura plus.

Quick Reply

Latest