The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danty
2010 onwards Chevrolet Spark (1 litre 5 door)
2005-2014 Citroen C1 (1 litre Vibe or Airplay models only)
2004-2011 Fiat Panda (1.1 Active or 1.2 Dynamic models only)
2014 onwards Hyundai i10 (all 1 litre models)
2012 onwards Seat Mii (all 1 litre models)
2012 onwards Skoda Citigo (all 1 litre models)
2006-2014 Vauxhall Corsa (1litre 12v versions only)
2006-2012 Volkswagen Fox (all 1.2 models)
2012 onwards Volkswagen Up (all 1 litre models)

These are all the cars currently ranked in Group 1 of insurance for cars. Theoretically, these will provide the cheapest quotes for you.

~Matt

Brilliant. Thank a lot. You've really helped.
Reply 61
Original post by danty
Insurance is about risk. How likely you are to crash it and how much damage you'll cause if you do.

Typically smaller engined cars tend to be cheaper, but it's normally smaller engined cars that young drivers have crashes in. You might be better off looking at something slightly bigger (and dare I say, diesel powered) as these tend to bring the prices down. The Nissan Micra 1.5 diesel, for example, is typically cheaper to insure than the 1 litre petrol variant.

~Matt

Couple of questions.

1. I'm using moneysupermarket.com to find good quotes. Should i use price comparison or individual websites (eg. Aviva)?

2. Some cars are costing me £3k to insure, other cars are costing me £6k, am i doing something wrong here?

Thanks a lit by the way you all are really helpful bros.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by maxi365
Couple of questions.

1. I'm using moneysupermarket.com to find good quotes. Should i use price comparison or individual websites (eg. Aviva)?

2. Some cars are costing me £3k to insure, other cars are costing me £6k, am i doing something wrong here?

Thanks a lit by the way you all are really helpful bros.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use price comparison sites to find out what you want and give yourself a ballpark figure. Once you know what you want, go direct.

I mentioned previously that my advice would be to try Swinton direct. They're based in Birmingham and would be best placed to provide you with insurance because they'll know it better than most.

You *will* find cheaper prices by going direct. I guarantee you that. It takes a bit more time and that's why I'd suggest using price comparison websites as a guideline. (Note: confused.com and gocompare.com are also really good for comparisons - you'd be suprised at the difference in price you can get even from the same insurers from them)

Make sure you've got the car you want and the best set of details from comparison sites when contacting them. Also tell them the cheapest quote that you got elsewhere if you want (it encourages them the find you something cheaper)

~Matt
Was getting really high quotes.
I tried on my dad's name one with him genuinely being the main driver and because I put in 9-10 years no claims.. It was showing me £800 something.

I've got it on my own name now my car is a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 and it's cost me £1275 which I'm really happy about because insurance companies were even giving me quotes like £4-7000 so I was over the moon. I'm insured and driving around now as a main driver on my car :smile:
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Brilliant. Thank a lot. You've really helped.

1. The more crashes in that vehicle that occur the higher the premium is likely to be
2. Your premium will be increased based on your post code and where you keep the vehicle
3. Your premium will increase depending on what insurance group the car is in
4. Your age obviously influences your premium - usually at 25 you'll see a considerable drop
5. Your driving record influences your insurance premium
6. Sometimes a higher excess can cut the cost of your insurance premium although not always
7. The mileage you enter will influence the premium
8. Additional drivers on the policy can also influence the premium although not always

I've been driving for 6 years and now pay around £400 for fully comprehensive insurance with all extras thrown in as I've not claimed once.
Original post by maxi365
Is £3600 insurance a lot for a 1 litre VW Polo 2001. The details are

- I'm 18 years old
- my dad is registered keeper/main driver
-I'm the second driver
-Dad has 10 years no claims
-average miles are 85,000

So is £3600 insurance a lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put yourself as the main driver then your dad as a named driver?
This thread has to be a troll ahah
Polos have crazy expensive insurance. It’s crazy because from shopping around I found out it’s cheaper for me to insure a 2011 2L bmw 320d than a 2002 1.2L polo.

Latest

Trending

Trending