The Student Room Group

Anyone Bitter about grades?

I was overall quite pleased with my GCSE results but in a few subjects one in particular i feel really angry. The most annoying thing is ICT which is a double award i got BB when both my coursework modules (worth 66% of total) were A. And the exam worth 33% didnt go that badly either. i was hoping for A*s but was really dissapointed the most annoying thing it wasnt really my fault the teachers must have taught it wrong or been to lenient with the marking. Its just really annoying. Is it to late to ask for a remark? Or even resubmission another year, i know it seems pathetic and i am still pleased but it could be the difference between getting into the university that i want. anyone feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was a bit peed off about my AS grades, but not bitter. I was bitter about the way the teachers treated me about them. My dad had been ill for about 3 months before the exams and was bedridden and I had to look after him, a week before the exams he was in hospital having an operation so I didn't revise a lot. I should have said something to the exam officer but I didn't. I'm not bothered about that because I don't believe in sympathy marks, but like my teachers were really mean about how I did so badly and stuff and it really annoyed me.

Gcses - I was proper angry I didn't get an A* in ICT, my whole schools coursework was downgraded two grades (year 11-13) because of one teacher. So yeh, that annoyed me.
Reply 2
I think that is basically what happened to my school aswell with regards to ICT. I didnt know you get marks awarded if people are ill because my mum was having chemotherapy for cancer just before my exams started so i kept having to go and stay with grandparents and stuff which made it hard to revise aswell as the emotional side of things.
Reply 3
Most schools send a special consideration form, although they're really wary about it but when it needs to be done, it needs to be done.
Sorry about your mum.
I got A* on my ICT coursework but ended up with BB overall, which I wasn't that happy about but BB is still good. :smile:
Grades I'm bitter about:

GCSE English lit: 4 marks off an A*
GCSE maths: scraped A in exams, but high C in coursework dragged me down to a B
AVCE ICT: 3 marks off a C
A-level English lit: 4 marks off an A
A2 French and sociology coursework: scraped Bs even though my teachers told me I had solid As
A-level history: C with AAABUU in the modules :confused: despite being the subject I put most effort into and As and Bs in all class essays and mocks

I'm one bitter student lol :p:
I got an A for my History coursework, I got an E overall!

I must have done really really bad on the exam! :redface:
Reply 7
ICT seems just a messed up subject then something is wrong with the marking.I wouldnt mind if it was all my fault and i didnt work hard enough.
Anonymous1783
ICT seems just a messed up subject then something is wrong with the marking.I wouldnt mind if it was all my fault and i didnt work hard enough.

I actually thought I did quite well on the exam as well, what tier did you do? Or was it all the same? Can't quite remember.
Reply 9
Kinda pissed off in English Lit- I was only 3 marks off an A*, but can't really complain.
Reply 10
A-level history: C with AAABUU in the modules despite being the subject I put most effort into and As and Bs in all class essays and mocks

Same here AUAAEB how does that work man i am still so bitter about edexcel history markers!!! But the politics and economics markers are great!
Me, bitter? ... Well only a little; :smile:

GCSE English Literature: After achieving 100% in my courswork segmentation of the course, and spending extortionate amounts of time in personal after hour lessons for the subject with my school teacher; to walk out with a B means i performed pathetically within the final examination. Which, well, quite simply didnt happen :biggrin:

GCSE Design and Technology: A grade D ... me? After spending a large amount of time compiling my coursework folder full of pieces which where professional produced during my time on work experience; and spending copious amounts of time after school working away rather feverously and excessivley, the walk away with a "fail" seems like a brutle kick in the teeth.

AS-Level Computing: To achieve 96%, and 90% respectively in two of my three Computing modules, and then suddenly receive a rather inconspicuous 50% in the module which i was already retaking for the second time, left me with a grade B overall. Stupid 4 marks.

Yep my GCSE ICT grade got moderated down by 1 :frown: MichaelBenson I see youve ommited your D from your sig :biggrin:
Reply 13
I actually thought I did quite well on the exam as well, what tier did you do? Or was it all the same? Can't quite remember.

Erm i dont know about teir if you mean like foundation or higher it would have been hier because i could have got an A*. But it wasnt teired that i know of it was applied double ICT which the school made compulsory.
Reply 14
I did quite well for a state school for my GCSE's. I got 2A* 3A 4B. However I was around three marks off an A* in English Lit and the B i got in Geography was again inches away from an A. In R.E i was 4 marks off an A*. So overall i was one small climb away from being on top of the mountain but fell at the last moment! However for me now i just have to concentrate on my A-levels. I aim to do well in my January exams.:smile:
Hmm, am i bitter?? Kinda...

- In AS Chemistry, I was told i had a firm A for the coursework, it ended up being on the A/B border. It didn't really count for too much, it's just the principle.

- In AS Maths I was 5 marks from an A Overall.

Am I angry? Not at all. I thought I had done significantly worse in maths, and really didn't deserve an A. At the end of the day, all this stuff about being a few marks under a certain grade is equalised by all the people who scraped a particular grade.
o i was soo annoyed when i got my GCSE results I was one mark away from an A* in French and I especially had wanted one cuz i'm doing it at As. It seemed really unfari - my coursework had gone down by almost 10 marks, and i had done quite well in the other bits(full marks in reading, A in speaking, one mark(ish) off A in listening) - However I now like my school cuz they sent all the coursework back to get remarked and it went up! :smile: - just a little succes story for you there.
I think the ICT was all marked crazily tho.
supernova2
Yep my GCSE ICT grade got moderated down by 1 :frown: MichaelBenson I see youve ommited your D from your sig :biggrin:

It would just tarnish a rather nice collection of results methinks. :smile: Besides in a couple of years time i am sure i will have mentally blocked the grades existance completely anyway.
Reply 18
michaelbenson
Me, bitter? ... Well only a little; :smile:

GCSE English Literature: After achieving 100% in my courswork segmentation of the course, and spending extortionate amounts of time in personal after hour lessons for the subject with my school teacher; to walk out with a B means i performed pathetically within the final examination. Which, well, quite simply didnt happen :biggrin:

My situation was frightenly similar (although I didn't get 100% in my coursework granted). English lit I felt was one of my strong subjects and the exam seemed to have gone very well, but apparently I got less marks in the exam than my coursework leaving me with a scrap B :confused:. Even following a remark it was still a B, to this day I have no idea what went so wrong... To top it off english lang which I thought I'd done badly in came out as a comfortable A* :confused:

To the OP and others though, I'd say don't worry too much about dodgy GCSE grades (as long as they don't directly effect your chances of getting into uni). There's no point in retaking them because putting it simply you passed and it'll take time away from your A-levels/IB. It's annoying certainly but you shouldn't let it get to you.
Morgan141
My situation was frightenly similar (although I didn't get 100% in my coursework granted). English lit I felt was one of my strong subjects and the exam seemed to have gone very well, but apparently I got less marks in the exam than my coursework leaving me with a scrap B :confused:. Even following a remark it was still a B, to this day I have no idea what went so wrong...

To the OP and others though, I'd say don't worry too much about dodgy GCSE grades (as long as they don't directly effect your chances of getting into uni). There's no point in retaking them because putting it simply you passed and it'll take time away from your A-levels/IB. It's annoying certainly but you shouldn't let it get to you.

Additionally, my English Literature examination was two weeks before the main bulk of Science, Mathematics and German examinations where being. Which meant i had more than enough time to focus on the subject, even the freaking question which i answered was one which i had practised the day before. The only consolation which my teacher offered was that i was writing at with a linguistic competence and literary knowledge which through off my examiner. I of course take this viewpoint too. :smile:

But anyway, i got an A at AS-Level for English Language and Literature, and 100% in the literature module for the course, so in your face corrupt examiner. :p::biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending