The Student Room Group

Need advice about where to transfer

Hello,

I am studying in Birkbeck, University of London. Film and Media to be precise. I enjoy the course, but lately I've been thinking about transfering. This is my first year and I came to London from abroad.
What I dislike about the uni:
- Most people attending the classes are much older than me, so it's hard making friends that you'd meet outside of school also. That's important to me since I don't know anybody from London
- I feel like maybe I might not be able to do anything with the knowledge I'm getting in the future. While the teachers are nice and the courses interesting, it's more about the theory of film and not at all about actual practice. I could just endure the 3 years, but maybe there's a better uni for me out there.
- The only people you meet from uni are the students on your course. Not a lot of parties and you don't really bump into people at the uni building since the buildings are scattered around London.
- I thought I'd enjoy the evening classes (which I have), but it has felt more like a random course anyone can take than a real university.

I have to say that I have in no way figured out what I want to do with my life and that makes it so much harder. Since I'm not from the UK, but from a small European country, I really didn't know what to expect from UK universities. I wanted the classic university experience, but this is not it. I've read that other people have found studying in London an isolating experience as well. While I might me surrounded by people, I always feel alone and miserable. I like London and enjoy living here, but without any friends it's so hard. I have a job, so I've met people through that. But I'm considering tranfering next year. I really don't want to make another bad choice, so can you recommend me any universities that would meet my expectations? I wanted something in London to be where the people are, but at this point I'm willing to move even countries so that I don't waste my life away.

I know it was a long post and most of you won't care, but I'd really appreciate it if you could help me. Thank you!
still need help :frown:
Reply 2
Hey the London unis which are really worth it (socially and academically) are City University, UCL, SOAS, Brunel, Queen Mary, Goldsmiths...there's a some others but I can't remember all the names of the good unis in this city. If you didn't gain high enough grades to get into those universities, then, Westminster University is good for media. The media school is based in Harrow, North West London it's not too far away from the other campuses in Central London and the social life is apparently really good there.

All I know, for sure, is that University of Greenwich is not really a good place for the social life (unless you live in student accommodation).

Also, there's University of The Arts London. It may be worth having a look at their courses.
Reply 3
Hi, may I ask you if you did transfer at the end?
I am asking this because I am thinking to study Film in London and was actually considering Birkbeck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending