The Student Room Group

Another attack in Paris this morning-1 police & 1 city worker shot

2 people have been critically injured after being shot by an automatic rifle in Paris. 1 was a policewomen and the other a city worker. Not yet confirmed to be connected to yesterday

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/man-fires-police-outside-paris-one-seriously-hurt-081807941.html#TVwMzsx

Scroll to see replies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30721677

' A gunman has killed a policewoman in Paris, a day after suspected Islamists killed 12 people at the office of a satirical magazine.

A second person was seriously injured in the attack in the southern suburb of Montrouge, after which the gunman fled.'

This is not going to end well.
Original post by PopaPork
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30721677

' A gunman has killed a policewoman in Paris, a day after suspected Islamists killed 12 people at the office of a satirical magazine.

A second person was seriously injured in the attack in the southern suburb of Montrouge, after which the gunman fled.'

This is not going to end well.

So incredibly sad - potentially an attack made by another "lone wolf"?
Original post by She-Ra
So incredibly sad - potentially an attack made by another "lone wolf"?

How many 'lone wolfs' do there need to be before we accept commonality?

If it is the case that this is another Islamic terrorist attack (not saying it is but odds are) then we need to have a very serious review on the ideology's place in the west.

Now I believe this should have been for Muslim to do as it is their faith that excuses this barbarity and I hoped that they would resolve the issue themselves but I do believe it is now time for the wider community to step in and start looking as to why these attacks happen and the ideology used to excuse them and the people too and ask ourselves what we need to do so we can feel safe and secure with having muslims in our midst
(edited 9 years ago)

If it is the case that this is another Islamic terrorist attack (not saying it is but odd are) then we need to have a very serious review on the ideology's place in the west.

I think "lone wolf" is the new warfare... although it's not really all that "new" it seems that the strategy of the moment. So yes, it has taken centre stage in terms of "tactics".

These attacks are carried out by radicalists in the name of Islam. A stand needs to be made but the extreme difficulty is trying to help a radicalist or group of radicalists change their black and white thinking about the ways of the modern world.

Even if a community of muslims were to question the action they have taken (which they have). I can't see how they will ever see eye to eye because the majority of people who are muslims would never endorse the barbarity of what has happened.

The fact that the police officer yesterday was a muslim and executed says something. At no point did the radicalists stop, take a look at him and ponder for a few seconds and think "hang on a minute, this guy could be one of us". Of course, they didn't they don't care, because they don't share the same understanding and they probably thought they were doing him some kind of favour.

"Everyday" people will never share the same values as radicalists and religion will never unite them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Horrendous state of affairs. Any news yet as to whether it was linked?

If it is the case that this is another Islamic terrorist attack (not saying it is but odds are) then we need to have a very serious review on the ideology's place in the west.

Now I believe this should have been for Muslim to do as it is their faith that excuses this barbarity and I hoped that they would resolve the issue themselves but I do believe it is now time for the wider community to step in and start looking as to why these attacks happen and the ideology used to excuse them and the people too and ask ourselves what we need to do so we can feel safe and secure with having muslims in our midst

Commonality? What are French actually able for?
Reply 7
Any news as to whether this is linked to Charlie Hebdo?
Original post by Mackay
Any news as to whether this is linked to Charlie Hebdo?

I don't think so...
Reply 9
Original post by Mackay
Horrendous state of affairs. Any news yet as to whether it was linked?

News has not yet confirmed but the shooter was a north African with an automatic weapon and wearing a bullet proof vest so we can assume it was a muslim yet again
Reply 10
Original post by Ace123
News has not yet confirmed but the shooter was a north African with an automatic weapon and wearing a bullet proof vest so we can assume it was a muslim yet again

Ah, man. What a week. Thoughts to everyone in Paris.
Original post by She-Ra
I think "lone wolf" is the new warfare... although it's not really all that "new" it seems that the strategy of the moment. So yes, it has taken centre stage in terms of "tactics".

These attacks are carried out by radicalists in the name of Islam. A stand needs to be made but the extreme difficulty is trying to help a radicalist or group of radicalists change their black and white thinking about the ways of the modern world.

Even if a community of muslims were to question the action they have taken (which they have). I can't see how they will ever see eye to eye because the majority of people who are muslims would never endorse the barbarity of what has happened.

The fact that the police officer yesterday was a muslim and executed says something. At no point did the radicalists stop, take a look at him and ponder for a few seconds and think "hang on a minute, this guy could be one of us". Of course, they didn't they don't care, because they don't share the same understanding and they probably thought they were doing him some kind of favour.

"Everyday" people will never share the same values as radicalists and religion will never unite them.

I agree with all you say it's just the current methodology we are using to deal with this issue isn't working and we need a rethink

I do think this will have to involve non muslims more as I don't believe muslims have done enough to address the issues in their faith can lead to such barbarity as we exposed to yesterday.

But take TSR I regularly see people in the ISOC posting lectures by hate preachers with not a word against it. I regally see the use of the derogatory term 'kaffir' defended robustly and intolerance to homosexuality (the Gay Muslim thread is a depressing read)

There is now a thread by a Muslim saying they deserved what they got. Shall we both watch it to see how many moderates challenge this and tell them they are wrong.

I'm a pessimist and I'll say there won't be or any challenge will be 'It's wrong.........but'

There is now a thread by a Muslim saying they deserved what they got. Shall we both watch it to see how many moderates challenge this and tell them they are wrong.

I'm a pessimist and I'll say there won't be or any challenge will be 'It's wrong.........but'

And you yourself answer your question. There won't be or any challenge will be 'It's wrong.........but'
Yourself ask and yourself answer.
Original post by Paul PTS
And you yourself answer your question. There won't be or any challenge will be 'It's wrong.........but'
Yourself ask and yourself answer.

I know but I'm always happy to be proven wrong
I know but I'm always happy to be proven wrong

One of my professors (one-eyed oldman, veteran of WWII) tought me...
Everything had started from de Gaulle...
General amnesty for all people sentenced to death and awaiting execution took place in 1959 when, after de Gaulle's inauguratio.
De Gaulle need additional votes for the elections. In such a way large families of the terrorists and their supporters voted for him.
Now the same political deal continues and continues in France.
If the terrorists didn't have supporters among some groups of France population, the state would react in the other ways - just years ago, and everything now would be another and in France and in Europe.
Original post by Paul PTS
One of my professors (one-eyed oldman, veteran of WWII) tought me...
Everything had started from de Gaulle...
General amnesty for all people sentenced to death and awaiting execution took place in 1959 when, after de Gaulle's inauguratio.
De Gaulle need additional votes for the elections. In such a way large families of the terrorists and their supporters voted for him.
Now the same political deal continues and continues in France.
If the terrorists didn't have supporters among some groups of France population, the state would react in the other ways - just years ago, and everything now would be another and in France and in Europe.

It does seem the 'contract' France had with it's Islamist population has now been broken just as it was in the UK in 2005

It will be interesting to see how france now deals with this and I do hope they are a little more robust than we have been since 2005
It does seem the 'contract' France had with it's Islamist population has now been broken just as it was in the UK in 2005

It will be interesting to see how france now deals with this and I do hope they are a little more robust than we have been since 2005

The 'contract' wasn't broken. It continues. And other states of Europe following the example of France have the same contracts and they are not broken.
I don't remember if British in 2005 fought with police in London as Russians did at Moscow and other cities, towns demanding investigations of the crimes of national minorities.
On the other hand you hardly imagine how does "the french contract" works abroad.
For example - one muslim killed one Russian at my town, the court gave him one year of prison and allowed to leave the camera before the parents of the late could start appellation. Muslim happily ran from the country.
What for did he kill that guy. The murdered person came from Moscow to his parents on the motorbike and came to the market to buy some food for family dinner. He leaves the shop and see that muslim children jump on his motorbike. He said that he is the owner of the machine and demanded from them to leave the bike. The children say that he is not the "owner" overhere and he should talk with the real one owner in the shop. He came to the shop and before he could say something muslim strike him in head by something heavy.
Only after several hundreds of motorbike drivers came to the town for the protest the police reacted and arrested the murderer. Until the protest began the police didn't hurry. And the result you know - the murderer happily ran abroad just from the court.
(edited 9 years ago)
This makes me so angry. Extremism is, once again, getting out of control- its only a matter of time before we get a repeat of 9/11 or 7/7. These shooters were criminals, one had spent time in prison and yet intelligence didn't stop them killing 13 people in 24 hours- what about those young, newly radicalised Islamist extremists who have no record- what are they capable of, what else are they planning under our noses? Something serious needs to be done to stop them instead of our governments being terrified of offending somebody!
Original post by Ace123
we can assume it was a muslim yet again

No link between the two events has been found - so let's not.
The problem are gun laws and gun availability.

It has nothing to do with Islam, ISIS, illegal Middle Eastern wars, clash of cultures, or Muslim immigration.

Nothing to do with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending