Total = 75%

Final Pass Rate

DE = 90%
GDE = 95%
Ranker = 95%
Total = 95%
Reply 21
Nice to see ex-rankers at the top :p:
I can't speak for OASC, but I've just got back from AIB and they're not after everyone to speak as if they are from the Home Counties. They want people who speak correctly and clearly. I could tell my Board President was a Yorkshireman and the N2 was from Lancashire. I'm sure they could tell I was from the North too. One thing we all had in common was good diction and correct grammar. In my feedback they said I was articulate and confident. It's your ideas and experiences that impress the Officer classes not the way you say "scone."
Rotters
Some interesting IOT stats for you all:

First Time Pass Rate

DE = 63%
GDE = 75%
Ranker = 81%
Total = 75%

Final Pass Rate

DE = 90%
GDE = 95%
Ranker = 95%
Total = 95%

Source?
Reply 24
Internal to Cranwell. Given in a presentation by the Commandant so I would imagine they are correct.
Rotters
Internal to Cranwell. Given in a presentation by the Commandant so I would imagine they are correct.

OK, thanks. It's just that for folks dropping in here those are very significant numbers, good to know that they come from a recent and well informed source.
Reply 26
threeportdrift
OK, thanks. It's just that for folks dropping in here those are very significant numbers, good to know that they come from a recent and well informed source.

My pleasure 3pd, thought people would find them interesting I certainly did when I saw the presentation. Unfortunatly not sure where the person who wrote the presentation got the stats from for the Commandant, would imagine it was internal OACTU.
It's a ballsy person that writes a brief for the Commandant without double checking, indeed, triple checking their stats!
Reply 28
Oooh, I dunno Rotters, my copy of that presentation says non-grad DE only managed 89% ... (same source btw) :wink:

Incidentally, I've seen some interesting figures about the new IOTC -- albeit not statistically significant, being as they come from only the one course (the first of the new IOT). However, it seemed non-grad DE coped much better (72% vs. 63% initial pass rate), and grads slightly worse (65% vs. 75%). Of course, this data is, as I say, all from one course (and therefore not worth reading too much in to). Interesting tho'.
I'd be the first to confess that I'm no stats guru, but those figures do seem a little strange to me, I wonder if there hasn't been some obscuration of the detail in order to make a clear presentation? Feel free to correct my interpretation but:

If you accept the figures that 95% of Grads and Ex Rankers get through finally, that would suggest that only 1 in 20 Graduate applicants to OASC completely fails to get in. That seems very much higher than the mythology of OASC usually presents.

Could it be that the second set of figures represents the pass rate of personnel returning for a second plus time, but ommitting the fact that very many first time failures might not return to be counted again? In figures, what I am suggesting is that for every 100 Grad applicants 75 get through first time. But then of the remaining 25, only 10 decide to try again, at which point 9 (and a half!) get though. So in fact, only 84% of all who ever tried, made it through.

Also, it says pass rate, is that the same as 'being offered a place on IOT' rate? There is a very big difference to the candidate between passing OASC and being offered a place - I know, I spent 3 months waiting between the two stages!

Any other thoughts/corrections to my analysis?
Reply 30
Sorry 3PD, I think there's a miscommunication; these are IOT pass figures, rather than OASC. :smile:
Aaaahh! RTFQ! :rolleyes:
Can some one de-abbreviate the abbreviations please or point me in the right direction to find out where to find the information.
As I understand them:

DE - Direct Entrant (i.e not previously sponsored)
GDE - Graduate Direct Entrant
Ranker - previously serving in any of the Armed Forces (not officer)
OASC - Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre
OACTU - Officer and Aircrew Cadet Training Unit
AIB - Admiralty Interview Board (Naval Officer Selection)
IOTC - Initial Officer Training Course
IOT - Initial Officer Training
RTFQ - Read the F*ing Question?

I'll happily stand corrected on any.
Check the FAQ thread where then is a full explanation on all TLAs
Reply 35
And if you get RTFA - it means you've made a balls and not read the answer you've been provided. Watch out!
Reply 36
So what your saying is that Uni would benefit a potential pilot as it gives more maturity to the candidate? :confused:

Thanks
Reply 37
** RoB
So what your saying is that Uni would benefit a potential pilot as it gives more maturity to the candidate? :confused:

In a way, yes. You're going to have more to talk about and you'll be demonstrably more mature. You're also generally better placed to handle yourself through training.

You also have a useful fallback option in case you don't end up making it through flying training. It's been discussed to death here before, and more recently than this thread, so I'd suggest you go and do a search.
Reply 38
sophtheloaf
I can't speak for OASC, but I've just got back from AIB and they're not after everyone to speak as if they are from the Home Counties. They want people who speak correctly and clearly. I could tell my Board President was a Yorkshireman and the N2 was from Lancashire. I'm sure they could tell I was from the North too. One thing we all had in common was good diction and correct grammar. In my feedback they said I was articulate and confident. It's your ideas and experiences that impress the Officer classes not the way you say "scone."

Indeed, couldn't agree more. I'm a Northener and I make, and made at OASC, no effort at all to hide my accent. Post OASC my report stated:

'An effective orator, he employed a wide vocabulary and enunciated his words well.'

Fact, being a Northener doesnt put the board off. Its maturity, well rounded personality, depth and breadth of outlook, fitness, innate intellect and potential leadership qualities (and many others) which count over which part of the world you come from.
Eyesight - check
Posh voice - check
Ability to say "thirty seven thousand feet" - check
Capacity to turn seatbelt sign on and off - check
Ability to lie how great the cabin crew are - check

The list goes on..

Latest