The Student Room Group

Trouble choosing a student house with friends... CARDIFF.

I live near Cardiff, in uni halls, along with my course mates and we've decided it's time to sort a student house in the city for next year. However, we are at loggerheads with what area.

Cathays is the obvious option, the one with the most choice, the better prices and it's literally student village; there is everything there a student might possibly need.
Roath is the option my friends want to go for. But I can't understand the logical reasons for this. :frown: We will have to walk to cathays station every day to get the train to uni. From anywhere in cathays, it will be a max 15 min walk. From roath, anything up to 40 minutes really, I mean, are they really going to be cool with that come winter when it's freezing and pissing down?
May I add that I am the only driver in the house that will have a car.
I'm worried they're going to rely on my to drive to uni everyday (we are on the same course so we will pretty much always have lectures at the same time)

The thing is though, there is no real reason that they can give me as to why they don't want to live in/like cathays and I can't seem to make them see the benefits of living there. It seems I am the only one who doesn't hate the area for no reason :s-smilie:

I know the easiest thing here is to live with other people but 1) Most people have already got their houses sorted or 2) are living closer to campus (no thanks)

What is so bad about Cathays?! I don't understand! I am a poor student and I want to save time, money AND effort. Is that too much to ask?! :frown:

What should I do? Should I just accept that that's the majority vote and go with it? But I really don't think I'd be happy living in that area when I'm opting to use my feet as transport.
I don't know Cardiff at all, but will the rent be cheaper in the further out location? Would this saving be more or less than you'd spend on traveling to uni by train?

Regarding the car, what would happen if you said you're not sure if you can afford to bring it to uni next year? Would that change their views?

If you really want to live in a specific area, you could look for any letting agents that are willing to rent out rooms individually in that area. It does mean taking a risk on who you're living with, but you're probably not going to be able to persuade all your friends to change their minds.

Quick Reply

Latest